MIL light came on in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 37K miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MIL light came on in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 37K miles

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #1
Hunter1123

MIL light came on in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 37K miles

I had just gotten off the interstate when I saw my Malfunction indicator light came on. Then as I accelerated from the light I noticed that it ran to 3500 rpms in first before it shifted to second (I wasnt gunning it or anything). I came out this morning and it did the same thing on the drive to work. The rest of the gears act fine, shifting at around 2500 rpm. I check my trans fluid and it was fine. I only have 37k miles on it. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks for your help.

David

Hunter1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Miklos

Sounds like what happened to mine two weeks ago. 1-2 upshift at 2500~3000rpm, rest were normal. I bought a code reader from obddiagnostics.com for $88 that hooks up to a computer. It returned code P0720- Transmission output shaft sensor failure. So I went and got a transmission output shaft sensor from the dealer ($17) and replaced the old one. Now its back to shifting like new again.

About the code reader I bought. Yes, you can get ones that are around $75, but they only read one protocol. That means if you bought one with the ISO protocol to read your Jeep, you could not read any GM or Ford's. With the one from obddiagnostics.com you can read all the OBDII protocols with a single unit. Schucks had a hand held scanner for $117 or you can also get scanned for free at AutoZone. I like self sufficiency!

The sensor was located in the tailshaft of the trannyand can be reached from the drivers side, just in front of the skid plate. I lost less than a cup of ATF during a quick switch.

So get that code read and go from there.

Miklos
Miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am so interested in this very same tester. I was going to build my own, but have gotten side tracked. Glad to hear that it works well and you are happy with it. The tester you have just paid for itself, during that one application. Good job.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

save your money flip you key forward and back twice and leave it forward the third time and the p codes will show on your odometer.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
Miklos

Ross- the key on/off/on/off/on does not work on the 98's, which I own. You can also do a lot more than simply reading codes.

Check out this link

The other popular one is scantool.

Miklos
Miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos
Ross- the key on/off/on/off/on does not work on the 98's, which I own. You can also do a lot more than simply reading codes.

Check out this link

The other popular one is scantool.
My bad. I thought I read someone had a 2001. I had been reading alot of posts, must have gotten mixed up.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
SoloTSi97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
My bad. I thought I read someone had a 2001. I had been reading alot of posts, must have gotten mixed up.
You did, subject line reads "2001 GC", making it a WJ. And, you're right about the procedure for reading codes.

WJJeeps has a complete (I guess) list of codes online:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Found that when I had the "loose gas cap" code on my WJ. :-)
SoloTSi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
AZFlyingDiver

For now at least, an OBDII code reader can be had on sale at Auto Zone for $99 (reg. $149) that displays the codes AND reads out the description. It also erases codes.
AZFlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.