Max tire size question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Max tire size question

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

I always see questions about max tire sizes and then people post that chart. Is that chart based on people who want to run the biggest tires at X height with no trimming? Is there really a big difference of the size tires one could fit on say a 2 or 2.5" lift if they had no intentions of ever diverging from highway driving VS hard wheeling?

Sorry if its a stupid question - didn't want to hijack a thread for this.

elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
SierraRipper
2000 WJ 

Its based on recommended max tire size at (x) amount of lift for best performance offroad depending if you want to trim nothing, plastic, or fenders. You dont want to hit the trails with a tire hugging your fenders/wheel well
SierraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraRipper
Its based on recommended max tire size at (x) amount of lift for best performance offroad depending if you want to trim nothing, plastic, or fenders. You dont want to hit the trails with a tire hugging your fenders/wheel well
So for instance... You can fit a 31" tire at 2" of lift with no trimming if wheeling; what could go in there for a hwy vehicle?

You can fit a 32" tire at 3" of lift with no trimming if wheeling; what would fit on a hwy vehicle?
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

I couldnt fit a 31" with my 2-2.5" lift,
It depends on thread depth, different model tires in same size, ex 255/70/17 is not the same diameter, they Are all a little different, you may have to check the excact spec for your tire of choice.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
SierraRipper
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
I couldnt fit a 31" with my 2-2.5" lift,
It depends on thread depth, different model tires in same size, ex 255/70/17 is not the same diameter, they Are all a little different, you may have to check the excact spec for your tire of choice.
Totally agree

If you want to stuff the wheel well, have a tire shop give you some options.
SierraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Thanks guys - didn't even realize that. I though a 31" was a 31" And tread was included in that measurement.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

I didnt either, before i got my GG AT2 255/70/17 and thought they where 31's, couldnt understand why they rubbed everywhere.
Had to do some trimming, but deff worth it, when you first have cut in your Jeep, everything feels so much easier, but getting there aint easy.
Order tires, and find the dremmel guys, it will look soo much better
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
grussell
2001 WJ 

I have 245/65/16's and they rubbed the left fender liner.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

There's really no 'right' answer. It's hard to tell what size tire will fit when you take into account any sagging, extra weight on the vehicle, wheel backspacing, etc. My 245/75R16 fit with no rub on my OME HD lift. Once I bumped the wheels out 1.5", I had to trim some of the front fascia.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Seems like a crap shoot honestly. Buy what worked for someone else and hope for the best. Lol
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Pretty much. The suggestions on here are excellent guidelines but I wouldn't ever say 'this WILL work 100% with no trimming'.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
timbotrog
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2" lift, (Bilstein 5100 & Dobinsons coils) running 245/70/17 Yokohama Geolander AT-S on JK MOAB rims. No rubbing at all anywhere during hard wheeling and is the largest size you will fit into the spare wheel well without having the floor sit up on you.

Thats effectively a 31" tyre in diameter but only about 10" wide. I can easily fit my hand between the tyre and shock body.
timbotrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

One thing that nobody mentions is the loss of torque. The bigger the tire you go, the less torque you will retain at wheels. I've noticed a huge difference and would of gotten 30" tires vs the 31" that I have.
Crash4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That's where re-gearing comes into play... Typically people don't bother in regards to the WJ until 32"/33" and up.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash4x4
One thing that nobody mentions is the loss of torque. The bigger the tire you go, the less torque you will retain at wheels. I've noticed a huge difference and would of gotten 30" tires vs the 31" that I have.
I have noticed this myself, only from 30-31's is a big difference, lower mpg, loss off torque, and need to down shift/hold liwer gear at steep hiils.
I might start Get used to it by now, but firstcthing i thought was REGEAR, ha F...
Anyway, no Way back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.