Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Max tire size question

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  texlurch 
#1 ·
I always see questions about max tire sizes and then people post that chart. Is that chart based on people who want to run the biggest tires at X height with no trimming? Is there really a big difference of the size tires one could fit on say a 2 or 2.5" lift if they had no intentions of ever diverging from highway driving VS hard wheeling?

Sorry if its a stupid question - didn't want to hijack a thread for this.

#3 ·
SierraRipper said:
Its based on recommended max tire size at (x) amount of lift for best performance offroad depending if you want to trim nothing, plastic, or fenders. You dont want to hit the trails with a tire hugging your fenders/wheel well :p
So for instance... You can fit a 31" tire at 2" of lift with no trimming if wheeling; what could go in there for a hwy vehicle?

You can fit a 32" tire at 3" of lift with no trimming if wheeling; what would fit on a hwy vehicle?

#4 ·
I couldnt fit a 31" with my 2-2.5" lift,
It depends on thread depth, different model tires in same size, ex 255/70/17 is not the same diameter, they Are all a little different, you may have to check the excact spec for your tire of choice.

#7 ·
I didnt either, before i got my GG AT2 255/70/17 and thought they where 31's, couldnt understand why they rubbed everywhere.
Had to do some trimming, but deff worth it, when you first have cut in your Jeep, everything feels so much easier, but getting there aint easy.
Order tires, and find the dremmel guys, it will look soo much better ;)

#9 ·
There's really no 'right' answer. It's hard to tell what size tire will fit when you take into account any sagging, extra weight on the vehicle, wheel backspacing, etc. My 245/75R16 fit with no rub on my OME HD lift. Once I bumped the wheels out 1.5", I had to trim some of the front fascia.

#11 ·
Pretty much. The suggestions on here are excellent guidelines but I wouldn't ever say 'this WILL work 100% with no trimming'.

#12 ·
I have a 2" lift, (Bilstein 5100 & Dobinsons coils) running 245/70/17 Yokohama Geolander AT-S on JK MOAB rims. No rubbing at all anywhere during hard wheeling and is the largest size you will fit into the spare wheel well without having the floor sit up on you.

Thats effectively a 31" tyre in diameter but only about 10" wide. I can easily fit my hand between the tyre and shock body.

#14 ·
That's where re-gearing comes into play... Typically people don't bother in regards to the WJ until 32"/33" and up.

#15 ·
Crash4x4 said:
One thing that nobody mentions is the loss of torque. The bigger the tire you go, the less torque you will retain at wheels. I've noticed a huge difference and would of gotten 30" tires vs the 31" that I have.
I have noticed this myself, only from 30-31's is a big difference, lower mpg, loss off torque, and need to down shift/hold liwer gear at steep hiils.
I might start Get used to it by now, but firstcthing i thought was REGEAR, ha F...
Anyway, no Way back

#16 ·
I have noticed this myself, only from 30-31's is a big difference, lower mpg, loss off torque, and need to down shift/hold liwer gear at steep hiils.
I might start Get used to it by now, but firstcthing i thought was REGEAR, ha F...
Anyway, no Way back
I've actually contemplated selling my tires to jump back to a stock or near stock size. It drives me crazy...

#17 ·
I always see questions about max tire sizes and then people post that chart. Is that chart based on people who want to run the biggest tires at X height with no trimming? Is there really a big difference of the size tires one could fit on say a 2 or 2.5" lift if they had no intentions of ever diverging from highway driving VS hard wheeling?

Sorry if its a stupid question - didn't want to hijack a thread for this.
Wheel offset affects things in a big way

I have 16x8.5, with 3.5 BS, 265/75x16 tires, and 6.5 in lift
On level ground, the tire would rub on the rear edge of the wheel well, where the rocker trim cover was. (when turning)

When flexed it hits up front WITH Bushwacker flares.

According to the chart a 285/70 should fit with no trim, BUT it doesn't mention BS. Aftermarket control arms usually need less BS to not rub.

So there is definately no one size fits all fixed answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.