Massive Oil Consumption with Compression Test Results - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Grant Miller
2002 WJ 

Garage
Massive Oil Consumption with Compression Test Results

2002 4.7HO with 130K on it. I'm going through a ton of oil, a quart (10w-30) every few hundred miles. It had leaking valve cover gaskets, so I replaced them with no change in consumption. I also replace the cranckcase vent hose assembly and the PCV valve and hose. No other leaks that I can see, and there is no oil spray on the undercarriage or drips on the floor. I pulled the plugs and they all look good, not oil fouled. I did the compression test with dry numbers ranging from 185 to 200psi. Wet test numbers were pretty consistently 8-10% over dry numbers. No smoke on start up, and no smoke when you rev it up. But I did notice some smoke one day when I was following it in another vehicle. It was smoking as it was coasting in to a stop sign and then stopped when it was idling. I'm thinking that a quart every 300 would have this thing smoking like a mosquito fogger. What am I dealing with here?

WJ's are a lot of work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My Saturn burned 1 qt per 1000 and you would never know it by looking at the spark plugs.

Usually guides worn or valve stem seals are smoke on decell.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

I just picked up an 02' overland in February with 168,000 miles and am working through the same issues you are (VC gaskets leaking, replacing PCV and vent hoses and valves). From my research it seems valve seals are what causes the issue so unless you feel like pulling the heads to correct this you're pretty much stuck. Im burning about 1.5 qts per 1,000 miles and im currently running PP 10W-30 as a cleaning oil for the first 10,000 miles. Afterwards the plan is to switch over to PPHM and see if consumption improves. I notice smoke every once in a while during start up and after idling for a few minutes and giving it throttle. When I popped the valve covers off I found lots of dark varnish and some sludge but the H.O. runs strong and plugs were clean although very worn. Coming from a 4.0 that never used a drop of oil it seems like this engine likes eating expensive oil.

I suggest trying a high mileage oil first to see if consumption improves, otherwise its time to pull the heads to replace the seals.

What oil are you currently using?

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
Valentine - 99 XJ Limited

post #4 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Grant Miller
2002 WJ 

Garage
Currently running Valvoline 10w-30.

WJ's are a lot of work!
post #5 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Try a high mileage oil and see if consumption lessens. Ill be going that route after my "cleaning" cycle is complete.

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
post #6 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I hate seeing this... my non HO 4.7 went to well over 200K before the valve stem seals began to leak. It took M1 5/30 for most of it's life.
My 2 current HO jeeps are not even close to 100K. Swapping those seals is not for the timid as I understand it and getting to the se for the back 2 cylinders is nearly impossible with the engine installed. My local dealer looked at me like I was green & purple when I inquired about getting them changed on my 2000.

They said "why change them if they have not come loose yet?". Obviously they did not understand the question (even when repeated) and thought I was asking about valve seats. Geniuses.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #7 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Chrysler has updated the P/N on these seals multiple times so its a known problem thats probably been taken care of by now. If you're in the same boat as us then I can only recommend high mileage oil and weekly inspection of oil level. Other than that you'll have to remove the heads and get new seals installed. It would be insane to try and replace them while the engine is in the truck. Cylinder 7&8 are just so hard to get to.

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
post #8 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Kevin08
2002 WJ 

Same issue here on 02 Overland with 170k miles. Burns about 1qt per 1000 miles using high mileage dino juice.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

The offer of switching to a high mileage oil is for the most part Not going to do anything.

And that is because high mileage oils are no longer thicker as they used to be. All they are mostly now is same thickness (HTHS) with added seal conditioner.

The only two high mileage oils I can think of that are "thick for grade" anymore are Pennzoil High Mileage and M1 HM. M1 HM is your best bet with a high mileage as it's 10w30 is 3.5 HTHS WHERE Pennzoil HM 10w30 is about 3.2 HTHS.

If thicker oil is needed to keep it from burning less your options are pretty much limited to A3/B4 Euro spec oil like 0w30 and 0w40 as they are required to have a minimum of HTHS 3.5.

One other option I could think of is that Chevron Delo and Rotella T6 are coming out with a CK4 5w30. I haven't seen any data on them but I assume they will also have a higher HTHS.

Try the thicker 30 weights first to see if consumption improves. If not 0w40 A3/B4 or Delo/Rotella 5w40 as last options. If those last options are still not satisfactory, imo it's time for engine work.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #10 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Regular Pennzoil YB high mileage or Pennzoil Platinum HM?

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
post #11 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Grant Miller
2002 WJ 

Garage
I'm not looking for any magic bullet in the form of changing oil. I'm planning on doing the valve seals at some point. Even if I can only get new valve seals on 6 out of the 8 cylinders, I will still be cutting down on the oil consumption by a considerable amount. On the other hand, if I burn a quart every 300 miles and drive 12,000 miles per year, that's 40 quarts. If I can buy it for $3.50 per quart, that's $140 per year. At that rate, I'm not going to worry too much about removing the engine until something else happens.

WJ's are a lot of work!
post #12 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Regular Pennzoil YB high mileage or Pennzoil Platinum HM?
Conventional (new yellow bottle with red cap or old copper bottle).

PPHM has slightly lower HTHS

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #13 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Miller View Post
I'm not looking for any magic bullet in the form of changing oil. I'm planning on doing the valve seals at some point. Even if I can only get new valve seals on 6 out of the 8 cylinders, I will still be cutting down on the oil consumption by a considerable amount. On the other hand, if I burn a quart every 300 miles and drive 12,000 miles per year, that's 40 quarts. If I can buy it for $3.50 per quart, that's $140 per year. At that rate, I'm not going to worry too much about removing the engine until something else happens.
There is nothing magic about it.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #14 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Thank you! I was hoping to find a cheaper option as $9 a quart is unacceptable. Too bad the gold doesn't come in a high mileage spec but it is significantly cheaper. Ill weigh my options and go from there.

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
post #15 of 23 Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Thank you! I was hoping to find a cheaper option as $9 a quart is unacceptable. Too bad the gold doesn't come in a high mileage spec but it is significantly cheaper. Ill weigh my options and go from there.
NP.

There for a couple years looking at the additive pack and virgin oil analysis of both PHM and PYB they had ridiculous low NOACk numbers. Low NOACK numbers usually resonate with synthetics.

The NOACK numbers have since gone back up but during those times of low NOACK numbers, those numbers were extremely low for a conventional oil. Many were pondering if Shell was dumping left-over GTL (their synthetic) into the PHM and PYB oils, essentially making them the equivalent of a semi-syn.

So maybe at one point they (PHM and PYB) were actually semi-syn. But again, recent data shows the NOACK going back up to standard conventional levels so if Shell was actually putting in left over GTL synthetic base stock in them, they have since ceased doing so.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.