Major Issues With 99 WJ Limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Major Issues With 99 WJ Limited

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

Good morning. So I am still having the issues. I borrowed an OBD-II reader and cleared the codes last night before going to work. The CEL came on again within 2 blocks. I just checked it and it is only showing one code now. P1728 Hydraulic Pressure Switch Circuit. Any ideas? also where would this ground strap be located under the Jeep?

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

Sounds like the external pressure sensor on the transmission is faulty. The ground strap, like I mentioned a few posts ago is on the passenger side under the floorpan and goes from the transmission mount and Ys to the exhaust hanger and then to the floorpan. The transmission utilizes it as a partial source of ground and it can cause all kinds of funky things like all grounding issues can.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
Sounds like the external pressure sensor on the transmission is faulty. The ground strap, like I mentioned a few posts ago is on the passenger side under the floorpan and goes from the transmission mount and Ys to the exhaust hanger and then to the floorpan. The transmission utilizes it as a partial source of ground and it can cause all kinds of funky things like all grounding issues can.
Where would I find that sensor? I did find out that my ground strap was broken. In process of removing it I snapped the bolt to the exhaust hanger clean off. So thanks to a pipe strap and some heavy duty sub woofer wire I am now grounded again. After I was finished grounding I went for a short 15 min drive. Last time the CEL was on within 2 min. So far no code. At this point first gear seems to be back to normal. However second gear is shifting a little hard and third gear is definitely slipping still.
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

This thing is all over the place! I just got a P0123 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage High!
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

This is pretty cool and looks like it would really help if anyone wants to do some reading lol

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20HEMI%...mi%20trans.pdf
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #21
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

So I replaced my TPS and the input and output speed sensors and also the pressure sensor in my tans and so far no codes. To my surprise everything seems to be functioning better than the day I bought the WJ with shifting smoothness. at this point all seems good and will be waiting to see if I throw any new CEL codes. Unfortunately I cant tell you which one seemed to fix the issues I was having since I replaced all them in one shot. I pulled all the sensors from a 2000 Durango which had the same trans in it at a local Pick and Pull Junk yard. Go figure it was the first time there that they only had models before the WJ and the 45RFE was introduced in the first year of WJ's (99). I am hoping that I just got lucky today. I will keep an eye on it and keep updating if there is any changes in the near future. Thank you to everyone who replied to try and help me correct this issue!
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

So Its been a day since I swapped all the sensors out and so far so good still! Other than finding out I had 1 really jacked up brake pad everything seems to be going great for my WJ now!.

Unread 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
oldfamilyguy

Since you changed all those sensors it would be hard to pin it down for sure but if I had to start from scratch on it I would try the tps first. They seem to fail a lot, way more than those others, and cause many weird issues including erratic shifting. If you're really curious, swap the old one back in and see.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
cuttysark

just fyi, my ground strap is broken and it fortunately is causing no ill-effects..

the strap near the tranny/tcase mount right?

havent gotten around to replacing it yet.
cuttysark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #25
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttysark
just fyi, my ground strap is broken and it fortunately is causing no ill-effects..

the strap near the tranny/tcase mount right?

havent gotten around to replacing it yet.
If you slide under the front passenger door it should be right about your head on the body. It's bolted to the body, the exhaust pipe on a clamp and to the transmission housing towards the transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Snapped my transmission oil pressure sensor - now what?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I really need help. The other day I broke (physically snapped) my transmission oil pressure sensor in my 4.7 V8 equipped WJ while I was messing around with the exhaust system. Part of the sensor is still stuck inside the transmission and I am worried about how I am going to get it out. I have a spare transmission from another vehicle and I pulled out the sensor to look at it, and the tip of it has a small hole in the center. It's possible i could use a pick or a drywall screw to grab it and pull it out, but I'm afraid of pushing it further into the transmission where it will be impossible to get out.

The way I figured out it was broken is that transmission fluid started pouring out. I'm hoping this means that if I drop the pan the tip of the sensor will be accessible from the inside of the pan area and I can just push it out. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks!
mantonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantonas
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I really need help. The other day I broke (physically snapped) my transmission oil pressure sensor in my 4.7 V8 equipped WJ while I was messing around with the exhaust system. Part of the sensor is still stuck inside the transmission and I am worried about how I am going to get it out. I have a spare transmission from another vehicle and I pulled out the sensor to look at it, and the tip of it has a small hole in the center. It's possible i could use a pick or a drywall screw to grab it and pull it out, but I'm afraid of pushing it further into the transmission where it will be impossible to get out.

The way I figured out it was broken is that transmission fluid started pouring out. I'm hoping this means that if I drop the pan the tip of the sensor will be accessible from the inside of the pan area and I can just push it out. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks!
I know nothing about this scenario but what i do know is that if you start a new thread about your problem these guys will definitely be able to help you ! Good luck.
cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
mantonas
2003 WJ 

I did start my own thread, but nobody answered

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...t-out-1518505/
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #29
99WJLimited
1999 WJ 

If I'm correct the center of the sensor should be hollow allowing you to gently thread a crew into it and pull it out

Sent from my mind to your screen
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #30
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Thread screw into it

Yes, that's correct, I even have a kind of easy-out reverse-threaded drill bit that I can use. However, this is not a broken screw or stud that will remain in place while I push against it, it's just a plug held in place by a couple of O-rings. I'm concerned that if I push against it, I will push it into some space where it will be impossible to retrieve. That's why I was asking whether the passage that it is in is accessible from inside the transmission when the pan is removed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.