Magnaflow 4.7 cat failure/questions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Magnaflow 4.7 cat failure/questions?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Wj Magnaflow 4.7 cat failure/questions?

I have an 01 Grand 4.7 I used the complete magnaflow Y-pipe main cat set up on it and after maybe 15k miles i'm getting catalyst system efficiency code. Jeep got all new oem 02 sensors when i did the cat and the car just turned 90k! I had to have the shop ad about 2 inches of pipe to make it wide enough to fit my jeep too!

I can hear a jingling sound as if this converter is literally falling apart anyone had similiar issues? When i put the pedal to the floor it starts to bog around 3.5-4k rpm. I have always taken care of it and done maintenance on time every filter every fluid change etc, why would these cats fail so soon?

Also what is the correct part number to use on a 4.7 non ho 4x4 grand magnaflow shows two

49494 and 93241 are both part numbers

Stimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I've heard on the SautrnFans Fourm that the cheep aftermarket cats don't last long at all.

What warranty did it come with?
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post

What warranty did it come with?
Likely the 5 year warranty mandated by federal law for all catalytic converters.

While I can't comment on the quality or longevity of the Magnaflow y-pipe, I did recently have to replace the 3" Magnaflow converter that came with my Kolak exhaust due to the fiberglass matting that surrounds the catalyst deteriorating. It was only a matter of time before it started to rattle around in there. The exhaust and converter were about 6 years old.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Apparently both part numbers are identical aside from the 49494 being "better" is what magnaflow directly told me.
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

Did you get a 93241? That converter assembly is on engineering hold right now while they resolve some sort of issue. I'd recommend calling Magnaflow to check on the warranty for yours.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Did you get a 93241? That converter assembly is on engineering hold right now while they resolve some sort of issue. I'd recommend calling Magnaflow to check on the warranty for yours.
Yes the 93214 is the one on my jeep! I called magnaflow today and they told me that is the "lesser" quality one compared to the other part number the other number has "more precious metals"and is more of an oem type. I really dont know what to do here If i somehow get the 93241 again is it just gonna crap out in 10k miles or what? The better of the two is on backorder and was told maybe in a month but I was told they have 93241 ready to go...
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

I installed both of mine a few months ago and I got the P0420 code back. Then I ran Seafoam through the brake booster line and it cleared it again. Let's hope Seafoaming every once in awhile will keep it clear.
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

You guys are worrying me about replacing my leaky rattling OEM cats with one of these... I feel like the rattle and leak might be better.
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
Kolak
Vendor

Whoever you're talking to is phrasing it poorly. There's no qualitative difference between the two. The other part number is more heavily "loaded" for vehicles that have emissions issues that can't be tamed by a normally loaded converter. That other one won't flow as well either.

If the converter substrate is fragmenting, this is a quality control issue, not the result of it being "lesser" quality. Magnaflow should cover this under their warranty, especially since the part is on engineering hold for quality upgrades.

This is the email I got from them recently:

We are verifying the part on vehicle and it may take longer than that before it comes off Quality hold.

Robert C. Rubalcaba
Account Representative
www.magnaflow.com @Magnaflow | FB/magnaflow
O: (949) 858-5900

So you might try contacting that person since he's clearly aware the part is being held pending resolution of any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmel View Post
Yes the 93214 is the one on my jeep! I called magnaflow today and they told me that is the "lesser" quality one compared to the other part number the other number has "more precious metals"and is more of an oem type. I really dont know what to do here If i somehow get the 93241 again is it just gonna crap out in 10k miles or what? The better of the two is on backorder and was told maybe in a month but I was told they have 93241 ready to go...
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Thanks for all the info guys I work for a speed shop that does tons of volume with magnaflow ill try to get the scoop here and see what the deal is when i call them direct again!
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Neither are available anytime soon from magnaflow great.....
Unread Today, 03:36 PM   #12
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Disassembled the Jeep both converters in the magnaflow y pipe had fallen COMPLETELY apart! pushing the debris back into my secondary cat which was a new magnaflow unit as well.

WTF??!?!?!?!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.