MAF sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MAF sensor

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

MAF sensor

Question is "where is it at"? Do they even have one on the 4.0L's? I am suffering from poor mileage and figured I'd start with the basics. Changed plugs, cleaned filter, etc. I know that they recommend cleaning the MAF sensor but I can't seem to find it on the Jeep. Any suggestions? Only thing I've come across is the Idle air control valve.

SWDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

there is no MAF on any jeep, except maybe the new motors(3.7/5.7 hemi) im not sure about them. but on any jeep 05 and down there are no MAF sensors. if your getting crappy mileage, welcome to Jeeps. best thing to do is to check for codes, see if one of your O2 sensors is acting up or something.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

No, but there is a MAP sensor, TPS sensor.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
sdavisbone
1998 ZJ 

and IAC valve.... that's what is usually recommended to clean. They are all on the throttle body.
sdavisbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Is your check engine light on? If so with vehicle off and turn key to run position and then off three times in a row ending in the run position and watch your odometer for the codes stored. a bad O2 sensor will make it run extremelly rich and get around 5.2 miles per gallon!
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
SWDoodle
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavisbone View Post
and IAC valve.... that's what is usually recommended to clean. They are all on the throttle body.
How do you clean the IAC valve? Can you clean it with the MAF sensor cleaner? Where exactally is it located on the 4.0L?
SWDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
sdavisbone
1998 ZJ 

It's on the back of the throttle body. Not positive, but I bet you have a MAP sensor, instead of MAF.... pressure rather than flow. Map is on drivers side of throttle body.
Search terms IAC and clean. Someone did a great write up with pics. That should help.
sdavisbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

yes there is a MAP sensor on it, on the throttle body like ^ said. if you want better mileage i would change more than just the plugs, go ahead and replace the coil, and the plug wires, also the dist cap and rotor. its a good investment

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.