Low heat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low heat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Low heat

With the weather getting colder I have noticed that the heat in my 02 WJ isn't as hot as it should be. It isn't uncomfortably cold, its just not HOT like the type of heat that will warm up your interior in the morning.

I am worried it could be the heater core, but I have no other symptoms of overheating/ coolant loss. My coolant level is fine, temp runs and idles just fine, no leaking to the interior, no smell or moisture present either.

I have the single zone heating option, no dual zone climate. I am unsure if I have the infamous bled door issue. I have never owned a vehicle that used them.

The only other very obvious sign I can think of is that I can hear water circulating when I start my Jeep. It's a noticeable sound of water or fluid coming from within the dash. I only started to hear it within the last month or so. And just to clarify I really have no "real" modifications to my Jeep. Just drive it as a realiable DD.

I think I've covered most of my basis. I'm hoping someone has any input.

Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
seu83
2002 WJ 

I believe the blend door issue is only on models with the dual climate zones but somebody correct me if i'm wrong on that. By the sounds of it you may have air pockets somewhere. I would try bleeding your coolant system to make sure all the air is out and recheck the level. If everything is fine after doing this and you still don't have heat check yor thermostat. They're usually pretty cheap to replace.
seu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

I am also unsure of the blend door thing.

Forgot to mention that. T-stat is something cheap and easy I was going to replace to rule that out. When I do that I am going to drain and replace all my coolant.
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Falkon
2004 WJ 

You don't have the problematic blend doors. They are on Limited's only w/ the AZC. Air in the system, since you can hear it "gurgling" is a good posibility. Try bleeding it first. It's cheap.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
windsors03cobra
1999 WJ 

Mine makes that noise sometimes it also leaks a little coolant from time to time and I've tracked that down to what appears to be a water pump gasket leaking and a water pump that has 193k on the clock so its now a water pump job. Anyway my heat works fine and its hot, my temp gauges runs right at 190.

When you say bad heater core what do you mean bad ? I would say a bad heater core is either leaking or plugged, junk GM cars with dexcool coolant clogged heater cores quite a bit but I dunno about Heep or what coolant they used OEM.
When you drain all your coolant disconnect the heater hoses, I think they run right up to the front of the motor and flush water through them to make sure there is flow. Judging from your sounds of the river running in the morning I'm guessing she's flowin.
windsors03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ski01:

I had the same problem on my 2000 WJ nd also feared a problem with the heater core. Never would get hot and even got to where I would not cut the heat on because it was blowing cool air. Ended up taking to the radiator shop. They did a flush and a reverse flush. Been fine ever since.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the help guys. Got a guy here at work who does radiator work on the side so I am going to look him up and try the flush first.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.