Low Beams HORRIBLE! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low Beams HORRIBLE!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
MatthewH12
1999 WJ 

Low Beams HORRIBLE!

I've had an issue ever since I got my WJ last June. The Highbeams are VERY good, easy to see with. The low beams on the other hand are almost non existent. I was told it was because the mount for the front facia is broken and so they point too high, but the movement is barely an inch with it. Do the bulbs just need replacing, or? If so, what bulbs should I use? I don't want to do any major modding or anything, just something decent that's easy to install.

Edit: I've already done a headlight restoration, so the plastic is nice and clear, not foggy at all.

Thanks guys!

MatthewH12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
COL
2000 WJ 

Sounds like a great time to install some HIDs
COL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
MatthewH12
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COL View Post
Sorry if I'm dumb, whats a HID? Is that like these? http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Silve...eywords=9006xs
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If they are aimed too high, the last thing you should do is switch HID.
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Why not repair the broken mount first to see if that cures the problem? It's cheap. No bulbs you buy are going to correct poor aiming.

http://www.amazon.com/99-03-Cherokee...e+header+panel

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COL View Post
Nope.

I fixed by cracked bracket with some JB-Weld,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywgn71 View Post
Why not repair the broken mount first to see if that cures the problem? It's cheap. No bulbs you buy are going to correct poor aiming.

http://www.amazon.com/99-03-Cherokee...e+header+panel

Thanks! I need this part and had no idea a new one was so cheap!
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
MatthewH12
1999 WJ 

Wow I didn't know it was so cheap to replace! The low beams are very dim, they barely light up anything, road or otherwise. So I'm not sure the aim is the actual problem though, i never thought they looked off, but my mechanic mentioned that the clips had broken and so he couldn't adjust them. Hence me wondering if they're just worn out since the high beams are fine. Pus I'd rather try new bulbs first before I go having to rip apart the front end ya know?
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

You may want to replace the bulbs as well. Best bulbs for factory housing are HIR. http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
spud2388

Even with broken mounts, I dont think it will cause the housings to sag enough not to be able to aim them close. I would start my making sure your lenses are clear and not weathered/foggy. If they are hard to see through, jump on ebay and get some new housings (stock form or the projector version which you CAN run HIDs safely). Its not worth spending the money or time polishing the lenses back yourself. If they are clear, then get new bulbs, BUT DO NOT GET HIDS!!!! I'm not going to get into it, but just search and read. HIDS in stock housings are NOT safe. Start with regular halogens, or some HIR bulbs (search that as well) and see where that gets you.
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
MatthewH12
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud2388 View Post
Even with broken mounts, I dont think it will cause the housings to sag enough not to be able to aim them close. I would start my making sure your lenses are clear and not weathered/foggy. If they are hard to see through, jump on ebay and get some new housings (stock form or the projector version which you CAN run HIDs safely). Its not worth spending the money or time polishing the lenses back yourself. If they are clear, then get new bulbs, BUT DO NOT GET HIDS!!!! I'm not going to get into it, but just search and read. HIDS in stock housings are NOT safe. Start with regular halogens, or some HIR bulbs (search that as well) and see where that gets you.
I did the lens cleaning when I first got it so the lenses are nice and clear, not brand new clear, but I'd say 95% there. Whats a HIR bulb? Are they expensive?
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH12 View Post
I did the lens cleaning when I first got it so the lenses are nice and clear, not brand new clear, but I'd say 95% there. Whats a HIR bulb? Are they expensive?

What is HIR??

The HIR bulbs are not some tinted or over-wattage version of 9005 or 9006, but rather employ a relatively new technology called HIR, Halogen Infrared. The mechanical dimensions of the bulb are all virtually identical to the 9005 or 9006, but the bulb glass is spherical instead of tubular, with the sphere centered around the filament. There is a "Durable IR Reflective" coating on the spherical glass. Infrared = heat, so the coating causes heat to be reflected back to the filament at the center of the sphere. This causes the filament to become much hotter (producing more light) than it can by passing electricity through it, *without* the shorter life or greater heat production that comes with over-wattage bulbs (to say nothing of over-wattage bulbs' incompatibility with stock wiring.)

Here's the comparison:

High beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours High beam ... HIR1(9011), 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

Low beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1006 lumens, 360 hours High beam ... HIR2(9012), 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 800 hours

store.candlepower.com/9011hir.html

The Philips HIR1 (9011) and HIR2 (9012) Halogen Infrared Reflective bulbs no longer have the electo-deposited coating that reflects the filament's infrared (heat) back onto the filament, which was originally designed to maintain a greater lumen maintenance throughout its life expectancy. It also resulted hotter filament that produced more light without increased power consumption. The bulbs were designated as 9011 until 1997 when the European renamed the standard to HIR 1 and HIR 2. GE followed 5 months later by submitting a change request to call them HIR1(was 9011) and HIR2(was 9012). Both these Philips OEM bulbs are now being used in new car manufacture, John Deere farming equipment, Caterpillar construction, and almost every snow plow hooked in front of four wheel drives on the east coast.

Our testing has the HIR1(was 9011) running 10.8% brighter than the Toshiba with a differently designed and upgraded filament gas mixture which also maintains the lumen maintenance throughout 70% of its life hours. Please see the individual write-up for the Philips HIR2.

Toshiba no longer manufactures the HIR type and these are the only OEM replacements available and BOTH bulbs are second to none for those wishing to modify and upgrade existing 9005 and 9006 type lamps.
http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.