Lost Key.. Don't Have A Spare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lost Key.. Don't Have A Spare

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

Lost Key.. Don't Have A Spare

The car is locked, sitting at a local park.. I don't have a spare key.

is my only option:

A. Have the car towed to the dealer, dealer makes a new key, programed and everything. Spending probably around $300?

B. Or is there some other way..

Unread 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

A mobile locksmith may be able to do it....

Why don't you or a family member have a spare? Just curious...lol

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

There is no Way your local lock smith would have a spare key out of nothing let alone having the DRB3 scanner $3000 and then have the files for the WJ.

Sorry i believe dealer is your last choice.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

would it be cheaper to break your window?

i also only have one key, thats all the dealership gave me. I have another transponder key i ordered, i just am not ready to spit up the 80+ dollars it will take to cut and program it.

what i do is i leave my key in my car, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have my keyless entry clipped on my jeans. so i dont take it off and leave it place like i would with a key. you dont have to take it out and put it in the ignition and stuff, so you get out and dont feel like clipping it, then put it down and lose it, stuff like that. i just reach back, lock or unlock the doors, and never touch it otherwise. its been a pretty good tactic so far.
im sure once the battery on either my car or my remote dies, i wont be very happy.
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

^if he had locked them in it....he LOST the key.

Didn't even realize he had a WJ lol...x2 on dealer....

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
youngdog17
2001 WJ 

Dealer is the only way. I know i just went though the same thing. It suck YEA it does the wife lost the only key and remote i let the jeep sit for 3 weeks telling her she has to find the keys never did. so off to the dealer it went and new key and remote with programming was about 200 plus the tow. but i have my own shop so i got a deal.

you might try getting it unlocked and looking inside. I took a wedge and put it in between the door frame and body then used a pole with a bend in it and hit the unlock button. I had no luck finding my keys but you might.
youngdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have the owners manual and all that jazz, there may be a little plastic bag the the keys and remotes came in. The dealer should be able to program you new keys and remotes with that.

That is of course, if you can even get into the jeep.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
youngdog17
2001 WJ 

The dealer will have all the info from the vin to cut and program new keys and remotes.
youngdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

im sorry its gonna be like 600$ dude....we should start a donation for you.
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveridesli View Post
i also only have one key, thats all the dealership gave me. I have another transponder key i ordered, i just am not ready to spit up the 80+ dollars it will take to cut and program it.

what i do is i leave my key in my car, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have my keyless entry clipped on my jeans. so i dont take it off and leave it place like i would with a key. you dont have to take it out and put it in the ignition and stuff, so you get out and dont feel like clipping it, then put it down and lose it, stuff like that. i just reach back, lock or unlock the doors, and never touch it otherwise. its been a pretty good tactic so far.
im sure once the battery on either my car or my remote dies, i wont be very happy.

Until your battery goes dead, then you're stuck. Why not at least have a non transponder key cut (5.00 ?) and carry that to get in the door?

No one should let a dealer get away w/ selling a vehicle w/ only one key. And a really silly question, what happens when you change jeans?
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
Until your battery goes dead, then you're stuck. Why not at least have a non transponder key cut (5.00 ?) and carry that to get in the door?

No one should let a dealer get away w/ selling a vehicle w/ only one key. And a rerally silly question, what happens when you change your jeans?
lol I mentioned the dead batter possibility in my post. I didn't think about getting a key cut without the transponder though. But I thought I've read posts about some jeeps not starting after using the wrong key in the door
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdog17 View Post
The dealer will have all the info from the vin to cut and program new keys and remotes.
No.

The Jeep must be programmed to accept the new key, not the other way around. RFID chips are not programmable. They come hard wired with a specific ID. Whatever is reading the RFID chip (in this case it would be the SKIS module in the jeep) will read that ID and say "yes you are a valid key", or "no I dont recognize that ID"

This is why the DRBIII scan tool is required to program the jeep to learn the new RFID from the new key.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
melk
1996 ZJ 

Chalk up another reason I'm glad to have a ZJ...

"advanced technology" FTL in this case Sorry for your situation man.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

Well we had just bought the car used like 2 weeks ago.. never thought about getting a spare made.

The local locksmith is doing it though, I have some awesome family members that are going to help me out and pay for it.
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

A locksmith will be able to cut a key for you, but that key will only be good for unlocking it. It WILL NOT be able to start it. Just FYI.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key grand cherokee jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.