loss 3rd gear/no power in 3rd gear, p0700 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > loss 3rd gear/no power in 3rd gear, p0700

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Lil_Ape
2002 WJ 

loss 3rd gear/no power in 3rd gear, p0700

So I was driving home last night and about a mile from home, I realized that pretty much had no more 3rd gear, and a cel popped up. This happened after I had to pass up like three people doing 40 on a 60mph road. Weather was somewhat cold, maybe 40-50 degrees and engine/trans were fully warmed up. This jeep has never liked cold weather, especially when driving before it's been warmed up.

But I went back to test it today and it's still doing the same thing. Put it into D and go driving, it shifts from 1st to 2nd just fine. but right as it comes to 3rd, I don't feel it shift, what happens is right when it's about to shift into 3rd, the rpm's jump up from 2k, to maybe 4k under a light peddle. And there is no power, press the gas and it just revs higher like you're in P or N.

I don't think I've loss 3rd gear completely. Reason I say this is because When i'm in D, and the engine is reving high like it's in 3rd, I can still manually drop in into 2nd by shifting the selector out of drive and into 2nd. So i think I am in 3rd, just there is no power. There is also a noticeable buzzing sound coming from somewhere around the trans, like a bad solenoid pack or something, Threw a code P0700 which i believe is just general transmission error, but wjjeeps says speed sensors could be a cause.

Has anybody had an issue like this? I did put a shift kit in a few months ago, but i've had no problems with it. Fluid level is correct and it still looks fresh. No burnt smell.

Unread 11-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Ape
So I was driving home last night and about a mile from home, I realized that pretty much had no more 3rd gear, and a cel popped up. This happened after I had to pass up like three people doing 40 on a 60mph road. Weather was somewhat cold, maybe 40-50 degrees and engine/trans were fully warmed up. This jeep has never liked cold weather, especially when driving before it's been warmed up. But I went back to test it today and it's still doing the same thing. Put it into D and go driving, it shifts from 1st to 2nd just fine. but right as it comes to 3rd, I don't feel it shift, what happens is right when it's about to shift into 3rd, the rpm's jump up from 2k, to maybe 4k under a light peddle. And there is no power, press the gas and it just revs higher like you're in P or N. I don't think I've loss 3rd gear completely. Reason I say this is because When i'm in D, and the engine is reving high like it's in 3rd, I can still manually drop in into 2nd by shifting the selector out of drive and into 2nd. So i think I am in 3rd, just there is no power. There is also a noticeable buzzing sound coming from somewhere around the trans, like a bad solenoid pack or something, Threw a code P0700 which i believe is just general transmission error, but wjjeeps says speed sensors could be a cause. Has anybody had an issue like this? I did put a shift kit in a few months ago, but i've had no problems with it. Fluid level is correct and it still looks fresh. No burnt smell.
Not sure if it's a similar problem or not, but I lost overdrive due to a bad speed sensor. It was about $18, one screw and a wiring clip. However, in my case, I did not lose power. It just ran around 3,500 RPM's. I did some quick digging and came up with the following video. It sounds like what you are describing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=icGA1kJ...%3DicGA1kJ7fIs

Good luck!
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
car5car
2000 WJ 

You need to get codes read by better code reader. 700 is a code, which means "there is a transmission code". Cheap readers don't see transmission code, they just show 700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.