Looking for some insight (Rear axle issue) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking for some insight (Rear axle issue)

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unhappy Looking for some insight (Rear axle issue)

Ok, a few weeks ago I noticed my Dads drivers side axle seal was leaking. I called the dealer and ordered the new seals, a few days later I decided to tackle the job. I've never done a Jeep axle seal, I have done several GM seals recently and figured they would be the same. Obviously I was wrong. After I realized the bearing & collar were pressed onto the axle I already had everything pulled apart. So I called the dealer and ordered new bearings and retainers. I have access to Chryslers Dealer connect site and followed the procedure step by step. Up until the oil, unfortunatly I only had access to a synthtic blend 85 w 140 & the dealer called for 75 w 140 full synthetic. I figured it wouldn't hurt. So I get everything back together, replacing the pads & rotors & drove it home that night. On the 9 mile ride home I notice a noise, I stopped & looked but saw nothing. I applied the parking brake and the noise stopped, I assumed that the park brake shoes weren't seated or something.
I give the car back to my dad and tell him to listen for any noise, just in case. He doesn't drive much and ran a few errands with out an issue. I took the GC back to my shop to double check the oil level this past Friday, it was perfect, I drove his Jeep for 20 miles with out incident. Then I get a call Saturday afternoon, my Dad heard a grinding noise and felt the wheels starting to lock up. I pull it apart yesterday and the bearing on the drivers side is destroyed, totally gone. There is no oil at all on the bearings, zero oil in the axle tube.
So today I go to a friends shop and jump on there Mitchell on demand. And I read about a procedure to spread the oil around after servicing the rear. It says something about doing a series of figure 8's to ensure that the oil is distributed around the axle. I didn't do that, I only coated the bearing with some gear oil. The figure 8 thing isn't on Jeep service procedure. So my question is... has anyone run into anything like this? I've never heard of anything like that. After I was done the bearings I put a wheel up on a curb, to try to tilt the oil to each side of the axle, but it wasn't part of any procedure... I just did it trying to get the oil around...
Sorry this is soooo long, just trying to figure out what went wrong, or what I did wrong, because I'm baffled here.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
-Shawn

Last edited by Dragon158; 01-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Typo
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for the night shift, hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong.

-thanks Shawn
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have never heard of or read that. I actually just checked on Alldata and they have nothing regarding this.
I have replaced quite a few of these bearings without a problem. I always use timken replacements. Sure you didn't damage the bearing when pressing it on?
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
tsconver
2003 WJ 

if the oil is added to the bottom of the fill hole on a level surface the oil is above the tubes and will flow into the tube and down to the bearing on its own.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here you go......Found this when looking thru the diffenential service/rebuild procedure.
Trac-Lok differential equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure-eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint.

This is required when servicing/repairing the rear diff to pump the friction modifier thru the clutch discs. Has nothing to do with the axle brg.
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so the figure 8 thing was for diagnosing a diff problem, then I have no clue what happened. I did everything by the book with the bearings... I even rechecked the oil level on Friday, the day before the grinding started.
I did damage the old bearings trying to remove them, so I replaced them and everything went smoothly. I really expected to see an issue with the park brake shoes when I pulled it apart Saturday afternoon, I've read the hardware can rust etc... I thought I may have knocked something loose...
I just don't get what happened, after I pressed the bearings on I felt them and there was no damage. I coated them lightly with gear oil and installed... the instructions say to grease them, but I've always coated them in oil. I must have done something wrong, but I'm at a loss as to what. I still have no idea what the passenger side looks like. I have to wait until Wednesday to get it towed to a shop and have them re do everything.
Thanks for the posts.
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Did you replace the spacers as well? Did you replace the bearing races in the axle?
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Did you replace the spacers as well? Did you replace the bearing races in the axle?
The brg comes as a complete assembly. brg,race and collar
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Warlust
2004 WJ 

Thats weird. I was a diff mechanic for a few years and have never seen that.
Warlust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

hmm mine didnt come as an assembly. when i ordered the parts from the dealer i got the bearing and race, and the retainer ring seperate. I had to slide the new retaining plate over the axle, then the seal, then press the axle bearing on the axle, then press the retaining ring onto the axle. Finally install new bearing race in the diff then install axle assembly.
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I need to do my axle seal on the right side.
MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well it gets towed tomorrow and hopefully gets fully disassembled, then maybe I'll have an answer as to what happened. Just not knowing how I screwed it up is bugging the **** out of me.
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
tripovermyego
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlust View Post
Thats weird. I was a diff mechanic for a few years and have never seen that.
Since you were a diff mechanic, how often do the seals go bad on the dana35s on the WJs? I replaced the right rear one just over a year ago and had to do it again today. The left side one hasnt been touched and its not leaking. ANd Ive had the Jeep for 2 years
tripovermyego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.