looking for a measurement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > looking for a measurement

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

looking for a measurement

HI guys,

I purchased some wheels for my jeep and I would like to get some hub centric rings to help center them. Does anyone know the 02 wj hub size in millimeters?

Thanks
Erik

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

71.4mm
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Thanks, that is just about what I determined. I measured the hub at 2.816 inches x 25.4 = 71.52mm.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Does anyone here use hubcentric rings for their aftermarket wheels? Just spoke with a guys at pro comp and they say not work worry about the rings because these wheels are lug-centric. I do no like the idea of centering my wheels based on lugs. Any input?

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
BlueJc
2001 WJ 

I have 30mm spacers on the rear of my Jeep which are aligned by the nuts (Not Hub centric) and the wheel fits over the Ring again centered by the nuts. I have no isues with any vibration or wobble. I'm running 265/65/17s

2001 4.7 V8 Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd.
BlueJc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Whether they centre correctly or wobble or not is surely secondary. The job of the lugs is to hold the wheel tight to the mounting face....the job of the hub centre is to support the weight of the vehicle. You are making the lugs do something they where not designed to do.
If you are using lug centric wheels or spacers then the very least you should do is check the torque a bit more often than usual as every time you hit a big bump the force is trying to push the wheel sideways on the hub (with a rotary force) and this is what (given time) will try and work the lug nuts loose. This is why caravan are prone to loosing wheel in the UK because for some weird reason very few are built with hubcentric wheels and the owners dont seem to check the torques between services! (Im a caravan sales manager).
Even with my 1.5 inch hubcentric spacers , i check the torque on spacer and wheel nuts every 3000 miles (rotation time). Just my two pence worth.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Ok, just so we are on the same page here, I am referring to poly rings that are inserted into your aftermarket wheel and help center the new wheel over the hub. I will not be using wheel spacers. I do agree with checking the torque regularly on lugs. I also agree about the purpose of the hub and lugs.

I used hub centric rings on my lifted zj running 33s and that made mounting a snap as well as accurate. I do use a torque wrench with everything as well.

I want to know if anyone else thinks its important to center your wheel with these rings or just rely upon the lugs to center it. Comments are welcome.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Whether they centre correctly or wobble or not is surely secondary. The job of the lugs is to hold the wheel tight to the mounting face....the job of the hub centre is to support the weight of the vehicle. You are making the lugs do something they where not designed to do.
If you are using lug centric wheels or spacers then the very least you should do is check the torque a bit more often than usual as every time you hit a big bump the force is trying to push the wheel sideways on the hub (with a rotary force) and this is what (given time) will try and work the lug nuts loose. This is why caravan are prone to loosing wheel in the UK because for some weird reason very few are built with hubcentric wheels and the owners dont seem to check the torques between services! (Im a caravan sales manager).
Even with my 1.5 inch hubcentric spacers , i check the torque on spacer and wheel nuts every 3000 miles (rotation time). Just my two pence worth.
^^What he said. Not the end of the world if you go with lug-centric, but I would avoid it.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Thats what I figure, thank you.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
BlueJc
2001 WJ 

The name of the ring you describe is a spigot ring

Everything I fit is fitted with the torque wrench. Which is then periodically checked.

2001 4.7 V8 Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd.
BlueJc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.