Looking At The IRO 3" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking At The IRO 3"

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Wj Looking At The IRO 3"

Okay, so I'm sitting at bone stock height and I recently moved to Michigan from Florida, so now there's more of an opportunity to get off road. I've been looking around and reading recommendations here and I've pretty much decided on the IRO 3".

I'll mainly be on light trails, nothing too rough, and plan on going with a 30" tire with spacers (1"?) and stock rims as I believe people are saying that a 31" will rub occasionally.

Here is my question: Are there any parts in addition to the lift kit itself that I should automatically plan on installing in order to avoid death wobble, preserve halfway decent ride, etc? Are the IRO bushings good? Do I need to double up the steering stabilizer, and if so what's recommended? Will my present CV-style front prop shaft work or should I budget in a conversion shaft? Should I skip the IRO lift, and if so, what's a better alternative? What extra plans and purchases should I make/budget if I choose that alternative?

I want a reasonable lift on a reasonable budget, without causing myself too many problems, and hope to be able to get a thread with it all in one place. Show a newbie some love, all advice is appreciated.

And yes, I used the search function, but the information is scattered everywhere and would take a team of NASA scientists to compile and organize!

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I'll mainly be on light trails, nothing too rough, and plan on going with a 30" tire with spacers (1"?) and stock rims as I believe people are saying that a 31" will rub occasionally.
I'd go with a 245/74R16 tire. If you want added backspacing and plan to use stock rims, look into hub-centric bolt on spacers. Rough Country has them in 1.5" and SpiderTrax has them in 1.25".

With 1.5" spacers and 245/75R16 tires on a 3" lift, you'll have very minimal trimming, if any, on the lower portion of the front fascia.

Quote:
Here is my question: Are there any parts in addition to the lift kit itself that I should automatically plan on installing in order to avoid death wobble, preserve halfway decent ride, etc?
I would upgrade to an adjustable track bar, upgrade to Bilstein shocks, add in a heavy duty steering stabilizer (Moog Super Trail Boss - SSD107), and add on new spring isolators. Another additional item some prefer is the Addco rear sway bar. It is supposed to help with cornering tremendously but will limit your flex off road.

(All of the above, including the IRO 3" lift, can be purchased through forum vendor Kolak.)

Per avoiding death wobble, check the condition of your tie rod ends and control arm bushings. If they are worn, you may consider replacing.

Quote:
Are the IRO bushings good?
I can't comment on the bushings as I have not ran that lift. Many people are happy with it though.

Quote:
Do I need to double up the steering stabilizer, and if so what's recommended?
No. Dual stabilizers on the WJ actually add more strain to the steering system.

Quote:
Will my present CV-style front prop shaft work or should I budget in a conversion shaft?
It may work. It may not. Consider saving a little for this in the event that it fails.

Quote:
Should I skip the IRO lift, and if so, what's a better alternative? What extra plans and purchases should I make/budget if I choose that alternative?
IRO is a great choice.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
forestrat
2002 WJ 

I did exactly what ChrisHager said...

Ordered through Kolak the 3" IRO with their adjustable trackbar, new isolators, bilsteins, and I already had the SSD107 and addco rear sway. I also did all tie-rod ends at the same time.
I love it. Wouldn't change a thing.

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
JimmydaGreek

2002 WJ 

Best advice I got was from Nick - Kolak. I went with the OME HD 3" with Bilsteins, etc. Also went with 3/4" spring spacer up front and OME 10mm in back with RC 1.5" spacers. Love it!
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

I have this kit sitting at my desk at work, going to putting it in this weekend... I also contacted kolak for his wisdom.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

The look that forestrat has is just what I'm looking for, so it looks like I'll be following the ChrisHager recommendation.

As flex isn't a big goal, I'll probably go with the Addco sway bar, too.

Thanks for the advice.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

IRO is what i have and the only thing i would suggest is buy bilsteins from kolak and the super durometer track bar bushings from KOR . IRO gives you universal brackets for the front shocks and their bushings get mushy quick.

Forestrat: what lights are those?
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I like that look with the led tails and projector fronts, plus the black wheels and door handles
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I went with the IRO 3" lift, bilstein shocks, IRO adjustable arms all the way around w/adjustable upper A-arm in the rear, and a set of factory takeoffs from a JK. My front shaft lasted one week before it took a dump and I went with a carolina replacement. I later switched to 255/70/17 tires because th 255/75/17's rubbed a little when backing up on an incline. I am well pleased with the system that I have and I did not upgrade the steering and I have zero issues with it. I had previously added new balljoints and all new tierod ends.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I figured I'd throw in a few more tidbits...

Since OME has been brought up, the springs are a great alternative to IRO and can be purchased from Kolak as well. I think they're a bit more spendy though...

Adjustable arms were mentioned above... At 3", you don't really *need* adjustable arms. Now, if you find your stock control arm bushings are shot, I'd be tempted to upgrade to adjustable arms and be done with it. That's just me though.

If your TRE's are needing replaced, I recommend MOOG TRE's and the adjustable sleeves from RockAuto.com. They are extremely beefy.

Part Numbers:

Tie Rod Ends
Right Outer (Steering Arm To Steering Arm): ES3472
Front Left Outer: ES3473
Right Outer (Pitman Arm To Steering Arm): ES3474
Front Left Inner To Pitman Arm: ES3475

Adjusting Sleeves
Steering Arm To Steering Arm: DS1452S
Pitman Arm to Steering Arm: DS1453S

That's all that has come to mind after reading through the thread.

Oh, and nice looking WJ's fellas!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
JimmydaGreek

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I figured I'd throw in a few more tidbits...

Since OME has been brought up, the springs are a great alternative to IRO and can be purchased from Kolak as well. I think they're a bit more spendy though...

Adjustable arms were mentioned above... At 3", you don't really *need* adjustable arms. Now, if you find your stock control arm bushings are shot, I'd be tempted to upgrade to adjustable arms and be done with it. That's just me though.

If your TRE's are needing replaced, I recommend MOOG TRE's and the adjustable sleeves from RockAuto.com. They are extremely beefy.

Part Numbers:

Tie Rod Ends
Right Outer (Steering Arm To Steering Arm): ES3472
Front Left Outer: ES3473
Right Outer (Pitman Arm To Steering Arm): ES3474
Front Left Inner To Pitman Arm: ES3475

Adjusting Sleeves
Steering Arm To Steering Arm: DS1452S
Pitman Arm to Steering Arm: DS1453S

That's all that has come to mind after reading through the thread.

Oh, and nice looking WJ's fellas!

I also ordered all the Moog TRE's last week but not the adjusting sleeves? Are they needed and what are they for? Thanks...
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Those do look a bit beefier than stock, might have to consider those soon!
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

As said above, they are much larger/heavier than stock. Also, if you change your TREs yourself, buying new adjusting sleeves makes the task much easier.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
03wjay
2003 WJ 

its not IRO but i have a 3.25in lift with 265/75/16's. minor front bumper trim and then i trimmed fenders due to rust. I would definatly recomend get a rear swaybar and proper endlinks fron/back.
228227_10150241146670864_578790863_8729447_4256223_n.jpg   0718111935.jpg   0614111741.jpg  
03wjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.