Looking at buying a 99 wj need advise! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at buying a 99 wj need advise!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
t600
1998 ZJ 

Looking at buying a 99 wj need advise!

Found a 99 WJ with a 6.5" IRO long arm lift with 157k on it. Said it has a new motor with a transferable warranty. He also said the dash "goes dead" and he hasn't figured it out yet. He's sending more pics but says it's pretty rust free. Asking $5100. Any thoughts? Thanks!

t600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Start here: The Ultimate WJ Grand Cherokee Buyer's Guide

If the dash goes dead, you have an electrical issue somewhere. "Pretty rust free" means rust exists. Once something starts rusting, it can be difficult to stop. If you're prepared to tackle these things AND overall, the WJ is in good shape, it may be a good deal.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
t600
1998 ZJ 

Already read that whole guide. Lots of great info! I'm mostly worried about the electrical issue, hoping someone will have an idea. Bad cluster? A little rust won't bother me, I'm looking for a toy to use off-road, gonna get beat up a little. I've had a 76 cj5, 88yj, and just sold my 03tj. Looking something more family friendly.
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
lincolnshibuya
2000 WJ 

price is really high at that year and mileage. check your local kbb for a fair price. that electrical issue will be a money pit if you don't know how to fix or let a dealer diagnose it.
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
87thhunter
2002 WJ 

You could buy a 99 a lot cheaper and buy the lift - and prop still be ahead and know more about it when you where done. Your buying someone else's abused toy, i would look to find one that i stock so you can be "pretty" sure it hasn't been rock crawling already.

Also a little rust can turn into rotted out in a year. Its really a high price unless the thing is like brand new - its now 16 years old and like i said above how much has it been abused
87thhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
t600
1998 ZJ 

How should it be priced, book of jeep and half of mods?
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Book of the jeep minus the mods and rust/electrical issues.

I guess I should have been a little more detailed in my post - it sounds like a decent deal only if the engine is actually new, the WJ is in decent condtion, AND you want to buy an already lifted vehicle.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dash going dead could be a simple connector problem like TJ's have. Mods are worth what someone wants. I have modded all of my 9 Jeeps and sold them for a good profit.

2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
lincolnshibuya
2000 WJ 

price is somewhere $2000-$2500, excellent is at $2900. the new(?) motor doesn't make it a good deal, it could be a used one with high miles. you could do a lot of mods by yourself for the extra $2000+.
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t600 View Post
How should it be priced, book of jeep and half of mods?
Price of book value give or take a 1000, mods such as this don't really add much to the value of a vehicle. I personally would never buy an already lifted vehicle as it impossible to know whether it was all properly done or not, and 9 out of 10 lifted vehicles have been heavily abused. Also many 6.5 wj lifts are not done properly as it is fairly expensive initially and then up keep is also expensive as parts will wear out much more quickly.
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
t600
1998 ZJ 

I like the idea of buying one already lifted, if it's done right. Usually save some money that way. I have a $7500 budget to buy/build something. Time is harder and harder to come by for me. He said IRO installed the lift, the motor is (guessing) remand with 30k mile transferable warranty. Haven't got any more pics yet. Sounded like I could beat him up a little on price.
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t600 View Post
I like the idea of buying one already lifted, if it's done right. Usually save some money that way. I have a $7500 budget to buy/build something. Time is harder and harder to come by for me. He said IRO installed the lift, the motor is (guessing) remand with 30k mile transferable warranty. Haven't got any more pics yet. Sounded like I could beat him up a little on price.
For 7500 you could buy a fairly low mileage and clean 2003-2004 wj and be able lift it and do many other desirable mods and then know the full history and it will likely last a lot longer.
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

As much as I have always advised folks to buy standard and mod it yourself I'm in the same position as you....next to no spare time. A long hours job and family see to that. I sometimes think I will never get the time/cash to get her as I really want. If I could do it again I would look to buy lifted...And just take my time to find the right one. We all know that lots are lifted for looks and about the only off road they do is bumping up the kerb by the cash machine or parking on the grass for the football.....that the sort I would look for. No underbody damage or trail rash. They are out there just rare...especially this side of the puddle. Good luck if you get it.
Unread 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
t600
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia
As much as I have always advised folks to buy standard and mod it yourself I'm in the same position as you....next to no spare time. A long hours job and family see to that. I sometimes think I will never get the time/cash to get her as I really want. If I could do it again I would look to buy lifted...And just take my time to find the right one. We all know that lots are lifted for looks and about the only off road they do is bumping up the kerb by the cash machine or parking on the grass for the football.....that the sort I would look for. No underbody damage or trail rash. They are out there just rare...especially this side of the puddle. Good luck of you get it.
Exactly! Someone else has the grunt work done and I can do the rest as I have time. Time is why I sold my TJ. I wanted to do so much but I didn't have time! We'll see when he sends pics. Might be worth a look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.