Looking to buy a WJ- recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking to buy a WJ- recommendations?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Vrrooom
2004 WJ 

Looking to buy a WJ- recommendations?

Hey guys- I'm in the market for a WJ. I've had a few XJs, TJs, JKs, but need something cheap, reliable, 4x4 and I love Jeeps.

What's a good year to get? A friend of mine said some year V8s had some weird power steering setup where they went bad and parts were hard to get, etc? Not sure what that was about.

Also, I prefer the V8, but not if it has issues. Also- what's the deal with the quadradrive? What's good to get, not good, etc? Do they come with different diffs like the XJ? And what about diffs- do they come with any optional lockers in certain years I should look for?

The Jeep will be driven through some seriously tough snow conditions in the winter (lots of traveling to the northern ski resorts, etc.) so one with the best 4x4 option is what I'd go for. Probably end up lifting it a couple inches and putting some nice all season/snow 32s on there.

Thanks for your help!

07 JK Rubi, 37s, bumpers, armor, mild lift, DD / sold
Vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I would recommend a 2003-2004 WJ with a v8 and quadradrive. The quadradrive 4x4 system has vari-lock diff's which are essentially limited slips.

When properly maintained, the WJ is a very reliable vehicle! We have owned ours since it was brand new and it had treated us very well! I love it! If I told my parents to do it again (back in 04) I would have told them to get a v8, quadradrive

Edit: Read through this! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...guide-1271979/
This was a great, better yet excellent write up! Give this a good read!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
marcall
2004 WJ 

'03 and '04 are supposed to be the most reliable

Here is the TSB's by year

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm

and the recalls

http://www.wjjeeps.com/recall.htm
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.