Looking to buy a GC, what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking to buy a GC, what to look for?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
KDR83

Looking to buy a GC, what to look for?

I am looking for a DD. I want to buy a Jeep GC. My parents had a new 1996 and 1998 ZJ Limited when I was growing up. What should I look for when buying one, the ones I am looking at are higher mileage (110k-140k) so I am not expecting a perfect example of one. I heard the V8s are more reliable than the V6s because they are coupled with a better transmission, is that correct? Anything I should look out for or a particular year I should avoid? I was thinking of getting a 2wd V8, found an 01 locally with 140k miles, V8 limited 2wd for $4,500 is that a good deal?

-KDR

KDR83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The Ultimate WJ Grand Cherokee Buyer's Guide

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
KDR83

That answered pretty much every question, thanks for the link!

Only couple questions I have, would a 2wd be better than a all wheel drive for DD duty since it gets rid of the transfer case? I would assume towing capacity would be a little better with a 2wd?
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
briandor
2004 WJ 

BTW, 110k - 140k isn't really high mileage for the age of the WJ. If you figure 12k/yr is average mileage you'd be looking at 98k on a 9 year old 2004. Anything below that average is low mileage. I think they actually use 15k/yr these days too.

Oh and I'm currently sitting at over 223k on my 2001 right now so you can see how 140k is low mileage to me. lol
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDR83
That answered pretty much every question, thanks for the link!

Only couple questions I have, would a 2wd be better than a all wheel drive for DD duty since it gets rid of the transfer case? I would assume towing capacity would be a little better with a 2wd?
Well the select trac transfer case has a 2wd mode so its similar only have rear wheel drive . The quadratrac and quadradrive transfercases have an all time 4wd mode that is 2wd until it detects a speed difference between the front and rear driveshafts and then it automatically kicks in the 4wd function. I have a select trac and i use my 2wd in the summer and its like not having a transfercase, aside from the necessary maintenance for it of course . and with the towing capability yes 2wd is better if you have a no transfercase or a select trac in 2wd but if you get a jeep with the class 4 package ( which are usually the v8s with the quadratrac/quadradrive if im not mistaken) they tow more than the 2wd i6 . Go here for some more towing info http://wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm . Wjjeeps is a great place for wj info too so take a look there too

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
OffroadOran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor
BTW, 110k - 140k isn't really high mileage for the age of the WJ. If you figure 12k/yr is average mileage you'd be looking at 98k on a 9 year old 2004. Anything below that average is low mileage. I think they actually use 15k/yr these days too.

Oh and I'm currently sitting at over 223k on my 2001 right now so you can see how 140k is low mileage to me. lol
Agreed. I have 78k and i consider that pretty low , 223k is like another planet to me haha

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
KDR83

That is great to hear, looks like I will be looking for a Jeep GC. I don't mind the gas mileage either, my toy (Viper GTS) gets the same if not worse mileage and requires 93. I am only going to be looking at V8s, maybe at some point I will get a trailer for the Viper so want higher towing capacity

I think a nice silver Limited will compliment my other Chrysler product nicely
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDR83
That is great to hear, looks like I will be looking for a Jeep GC. I don't mind the gas mileage either, my toy (Viper GTS) gets the same if not worse mileage and requires 93. I am only going to be looking at V8s, maybe at some point I will get a trailer for the Viper so want higher towing capacity

I think a nice silver Limited will compliment my other Chrysler product nicely
That viper is very nice. Silver looks nice on the wjs so it will be good. If your going for a v8 just make sure that it was well taken care of, especially the engine. If neglected they tend to not be as resilient as the i6.

Unread 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadOran View Post
That viper is very nice. Silver looks nice on the wjs so it will be good. If your going for a v8 just make sure that it was well taken care of, especially the engine. If neglected they tend to not be as resilient as the i6.
Not that I don't sometimes long for the v8 but towing on the i6 isn't too bad either. It's still rated for up to 5,000 lbs and up to 25 feet long.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The V8s do have better transmissions (and better rear diff) along with higher towing capacity. The I6 models are rated at 5000lbs and 500lb TW, the V8s are rated at 6500lbs and 750lbs TW. The 2WD and 4WD models have the same towing capacity, so if you really wanted 4WD but are getting 2WD for towing, then it doesn't matter. The maintenance costs in a 2WD will be lower and the fuel mileage will be slightly better. Even with the SelecTrac 4WD models, the front axle and driveshaft are always engaged, there's no mileage benefit running a 4WD model in 2WD mode.

Personally I would go with an 02 or newer with the updated Akebono front brakes. They are much more reliable than the ATE calipers they replaced. I mean, brakes can be replaced pretty easily but I find it to be the best deal to start with the best vehicle in the first place and not plonk down extra money for options you could have had for free w/purchase.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The V8s do have better transmissions (and better rear diff) along with higher towing capacity. The I6 models are rated at 5000lbs and 500lb TW, the V8s are rated at 6500lbs and 750lbs TW. The 2WD and 4WD models have the same towing capacity, so if you really wanted 4WD but are getting 2WD for towing, then it doesn't matter. The maintenance costs in a 2WD will be lower and the fuel mileage will be slightly better. Even with the SelecTrac 4WD models, the front axle and driveshaft are always engaged, there's no mileage benefit running a 4WD model in 2WD mode.

Personally I would go with an 02 or newer with the updated Akebono front brakes. They are much more reliable than the ATE calipers they replaced. I mean, brakes can be replaced pretty easily but I find it to be the best deal to start with the best vehicle in the first place and not plonk down extra money for options you could have had for free w/purchase.
Actually the TW for the I6 is 750 lbs too. But no doubt the v8 is going to have more power for towing. 4WD could come in handy towing too like in a situation where you're pulling a boat out of the water on a slippery ramp. Towing capacity in 4WD is lower than 2WD on the I6 but on the v8 it stays the same in both 2WD and 4WD.

http://wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ahh that's right. I was going by the sticker on my OE hitch and I recalled there was something funky about the numbering. Sure enough, 5000/750 for I6 and 6500/750 for V8.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
KDR83

You guys think I got a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...22710105#v4-41

$3,600 bucks, HO 4.7l V8, 2wd, 146k miles, going to pick it up this weekend. Not silver but I think this red is nice, plan on putting on black headlights, smoking taillights, 2" BB lift, black 15x7 black soft 8 with 31 inch tires
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDR83 View Post
You guys think I got a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...22710105#v4-41

$3,600 bucks, HO 4.7l V8, 2wd, 146k miles, going to pick it up this weekend. Not silver but I think this red is nice, plan on putting on black headlights, smoking taillights, 2" BB lift, black 15x7 black soft 8 with 31 inch tires
URL was truncated on your post but I got the full link when I quoted your post. Forum quirk I guess. Anyway it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Being in Florida you shouldn't have the rust issues we have up here. Price seems about right too. Always a little risk in buying on ebay since most of the time you are buying sight unseen.

I actually bought my on ebay in January for $2,800. It's a Laredo with 214,000 on it at the time. Pretty much base model. It was out of Baltimore with 1 owner and in great shape. Guy who had it maintained it well. And most importantly virtually no rust which is rare for cars up this way with all the winter road salt.

That should give you an idea how you did on price. Looks to me like you got a pretty good deal.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
KDR83

I bought my last 2 vipers through ebay, I will walk away from the deal if the jeep sucks but I thought mid 3k was good for a HO 2002 that looks to be in great shape.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.