JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Looking to buy a '99 Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/looking-buy-99-grand-cherokee-1123372/)

thewildjeep 11-02-2010 04:03 PM

Looking to buy a '99 Grand Cherokee

We used to have an '80 CJ7 but was wrecked and sold it. Im looking to buy a 1999 Grand Cherokee from a friend but he said it needs a new engine but the jeep is in excellent condition. I might have an opportunity to pick this jeep up for cheap, and i was wondering what i should look out for when i go to take a look at it soon. Is there any common things that go bad, rusting, anything like that i should take a detailed look at? Im not sure what engine it currently has, how difficult would doing an engine swap on one of these be? Thanks!

*I have a confession also, I love jeeps and old range rovers so im a little more mechanically enclined with my 1990 range rover then jeeps but i would love to get back into jeeps again.:shhh:

creepingdeath94 11-02-2010 05:27 PM

The motor it has depends a lot on how hard this will be to tackle...V8 or 4.0 I6. If it is a V8, there are different steps and things to watch out for/listen for when looking at it then the 4.0. Try and get a bit more info about it. Is it 4x4? Laredo or Limited? 4.0 or 4.7 (I6 or V8)? Mileage? Why do they think it needs a motor...what happened?

thewildjeep 11-02-2010 09:35 PM

I was told about this Grand Cherokee from a relative whos friend is selling it, im havent got to go and take a look at it so im not sure what model cherokee it is or the full story behind it needing a new engine. But i do know that its in great shape, i guess i wont really know anhymore until i can meet the owner in person. Im just kinda doing some research before i look at it. I do currently drive 2006 V8 dakota, maybe the engine will be a similar set up.

creepingdeath94 11-03-2010 04:33 AM

Similar, but I think by '06 the Dakota had a "hemi" version different V8...like a 5.9 or something V8 and not the 4.7 anymore. I would say if you are getting it for the right price (cheap enough to replace a motor and still be out under blue book to account for your labor), then either set-up will be good. I will tell you this, the 4.7 V8, if that is what it has, is not cheap to get a replacement for. Used ones go for over $1500 on average around me and it was a chore to find one that wasn't a boat anchor for that. Rebuilt ones start at $2300 and go up from there. Keep this in mind is all.

hammerz71 11-03-2010 06:21 AM

'06 Dakota with a V8 is the 4.7. The Hemi is NOT an option in the Dak...

Falkon 11-03-2010 06:31 AM

From somewhere on the internet...

The most common problems I have seen with WJs working at the dealer were:
-Leaking rear axle seals
-Cooling fan relay failures
-Broken HVAC blend doors
-Shorted out tail light assemblies
-Window regulators coming apart
-Warped front rotors (Stock rotors always looked really thin to me even right out of the box)
-Governor pressure sensor and transducer in the 42RE going out and causing the Jeep to go into limp in mode
-545RFE transmission taking a few seconds to go into gear. Need to replace the cooler return filter to fix this issue.
-Broken wires inside the rubber boots between the door and the body.
-Fuel pumps allowing fuel pressure to bleed off when the vehicle sits causing hard starts.
-PCM issues

creepingdeath94 11-03-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerz71 (Post 10389683)
'06 Dakota with a V8 is the 4.7. The Hemi is NOT an option in the Dak...

Yea...I'm not familiar with the Dakota enough...good to know. In that case, it is very similar then :-)

99_WJ_Laredo 11-03-2010 03:11 PM

I JUST (yesterday) had a 4.7 rebuilt to drop into my 99 with a bad motor and it ran me $1304.47. Granted i picked up a bad motor on craigslist and had that to work from. The one in my wj was seized when i bought it.

thewildjeep 11-04-2010 06:47 PM

Hmm... those are some interesting things i will have to inspect when i look at the jeep this week. Yeah the only used motors i can source are on ebay for about $1500. I guess i will save some money, because my friend and i will do the install ourselves. Ill take a look at the 4.7 magnum on my dodge to get an idea of i will have to do. Ill give a full report on the jeeps condition really soon.

Wenatchee_Kid 11-30-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewildjeep (Post 10386676)
We used to have an '80 CJ7 but was wrecked and sold it. Im looking to buy a 1999 Grand Cherokee from a friend but he said it needs a new engine but the jeep is in excellent condition. I might have an opportunity to pick this jeep up for cheap, and i was wondering what i should look out for when i go to take a look at it soon. Is there any common things that go bad, rusting, anything like that i should take a detailed look at? Im not sure what engine it currently has, how difficult would doing an engine swap on one of these be? Thanks!

*I have a confession also, I love jeeps and old range rovers so im a little more mechanically enclined with my 1990 range rover then jeeps but i would love to get back into jeeps again.:shhh:

You didn't mention which engine.
If it's the 4.7, I have a pristine one for you, 14k miles, new in March 2012.
My model year is 2000.
And I'll make you a great deal. I paid around $3500 for it through a quality shop.
Because of insurance limitations, and the impound lot fees, this has to go down in the next three or four days, or fuhgettaboutit.

Joe at 206 501 5557

Cirruslydakota 11-30-2012 09:40 AM

Well id start by seeing if theres a hole in the block or other "not repairable" damage. If they ran it till the piston shattered (4.0) and the rod and pin beat the walls to death then its trashed. For the 4.7 i'd yank the heads and pan to see whats going on in there and go from there.

Double E 11-30-2012 11:56 AM

I'd start by looking at the date of the original post. Since it was november of 2010, the OP probably sorted things out by now.

The time now is 06:19 AM.