long crank after fill-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > long crank after fill-up

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 10-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

long crank after fill-up

ok, maybe someone can shed some light on this issue, because im kind of at a loss...

ok, i have a 2004 4.0 with about 168k on the clock, ive replaced the fuel filter with OEM MOPAR around 140k, and everything has been great, but now, every time i go and fill up with fuel, when i get back in the jeep, it cranks like i have no fuel pressure what so ever, about a 10sec crank time, but only happens after i fill it up.

ive tried filling up and then waiting like 15 minutes, and still will do the same thing, but after that one long crank, it will start instantly like normal, until i fill it up again

yes i do fill up after it is warmed, but have ruled out fuel soak on the injector, because after the long crank it wont do it, and it also will do it while the jeep is still warming up

so im at a loss... it never leaves me stranded but is very annoying

Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
BlueJc
2002 WJ 

Try this....
Open your petrol cap then try and start it up. See if you get the same symptoms with the petrol cap off.
when you go to fill up do you notice a hiss or a pop when removing your petrol cap like there's a difference in pressure like a vacuum in the tank?
I'm working on a theory.... does the negative pressure in the fuel tank help the check valve in the fuel pump?
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

i dont know, lol, i dont think i get a hiss or a pop ... ill try this next time i have money to put more gas in the jeep, also if it helps, it has P0455 major evap leak, but this code has been in the jeep for 2 years, this issue just started in the last cpl months
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Mav-Jason
1999 WJ 

Wow that is a strange one. Shot in the dark here, and I haven't done mine yet, but I assume the filter is directional. Possibly backwards? Not sure why that wouldn't change anything for 28k up until now, but maybe worth a shot to look at.

Black '99 WJ 4.0 Selec-Trac~ OME MDs w/ .75" Spacers, Bilseins, JKS ADJ. TB,
Moog SS, Moog HD TREs/ Sleeves, Ext Rear Links, 16x8 Ion Alloys, 32" BFG Wrangler Authorities
Mav-Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

no, the fuel filter also has the pressure regulator built into it and has 3 lines coming out of it 2 one side and 1 the other and each line has a different style connector to prevent a mix-up while hooking it up, basically stupid proof lol
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Big_Wall
2010 JK Wrangler 

My wife had a VW Passat with this same problem with the major evap leak code also. Our mechanic spent 6 hrs tracking down the leak and finally found and fixed it. It solved the problem. He didn't charge us for his time. I think it pissed him off and he wanted to find the problem.
Big_Wall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

haha, yea im a BMW tech and i know what that feels like, but what ended up being the issue?? might lead me in a direction to follow
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Big_Wall
2010 JK Wrangler 

My wife picked her car up and didn't ask where he found it. I was just happy to have it fixed. I hated that car.
Big_Wall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

ok, well to continue my saga, one day a few months ago the jeep quit doing the long crank thing after fill-up, cool it fixed itself, wrong, well, about a week ago, i finally got modivation to try and fix my major evap P0455 code. i smoked it, found the evap hose from the canister to the purge solenoid was broken, easy, replaced hose, cleared light and went to fill it up, and BAM! long crank, so, great, my problem is back!

i started by replacing the vacuum vent valve back at the charcoal canister, and still had a long crank and still threw the 0455 code still long crank right after fill-up but no smoke anywhere.

found out that purge solenoid (one under the hood) is normally closed, so removed it and could blow threw it, meaning its shot, went to NAPA got a new one for like $35-40 and installed, cleared light and went and filled it up .. no more long crank after fill-up and fixed my check engine light!

so, if your jeep is throwing a P0455 code and it long cranks upon the first start-up after filling the tank, check your purge solenoid, make sure its staying closed with the car off (blow through it or vacuum gauge) if it is open, replace it and check, fixed mine!
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
TeXJas
2004 WJ 

Had the same problem until I replaced my dcp valve last week.
TeXJas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJas View Post
Had the same problem until I replaced my dcp valve last week.
Dcp valve?
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
TeXJas
2004 WJ 

Duty cycle purge solenoid
TeXJas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ah I knew that ... lol
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.