A little Hot?!? Hydraulic cooling 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A little Hot?!? Hydraulic cooling 4.7

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Wj A little Hot?!? Hydraulic cooling 4.7

Well, I've done:

-New Rad
-Complete with OCD coolant flush, running Mopar HOAT now.

-Water pump gasket. Allowed me to check the pump and it's all good

-New thermostat from Mopar and a new rad cap

-PS fluid change. Sucked out fluid with a turkey baster, refilled + repeat many times. Bled air by raising front tires off the ground and did the stop to stop turn thing. Running correct mopar fluid

-Trans fluid change with new filters

My Jeep runs at 203 pretty much all the time. Gauge sits just below the middle mark on the dash. I use my climate control to see the digital readout of the temp.

-Twice this past summer it crawled up to 223+. Once after getting off the highway during a 96 degree day with massive humidity (making it feel like 120) in a parking lot. I thought the temp looked high on the dash, so I popped on my digital display and watched it go from 117 to over 220 and keep climbing. I hopped out and looked under the hood. My cooling fan was spinning, but not WAILING. It was faster than normal, but I thought it should be faster...

I shut down and went and did some shopping. Came back and started it up, temp was 117 hit the HWY and right back to 203

-Second time was in heavy traffic in the city on another hot day. Temp just kept going up and was around 223 and rising, but then the traffic broke and when I got moving again, the temp went back down.

-Is this normal??? Shouldn't my cooling fan be able to handle these hot situations by speeding up and compensating?? I'm worried that if I hadn't gotten out of that traffic jam the temp would have just kept climbing....

What temp does your hydraulic fan start to really come on strong? Does your 4.7 ever get above 225?

Thanks for reading my post guys, any insight as always, is much appreciated.

Unread 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

I wouldn't worry too much, every now and then in heavy traffic mine will creep up the the mid line. Goes back down after a little on its own. I do worry about it given all the talk here about the 4.7 and temps but the fan runs fine and it never goes above the mid line.
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Have you checked your A/C condenser for blockage/crushed fins? Maybe its time to look at an external transmission cooler, as this will keep some heat out of the radiator.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Mine goes to the next line after 210 before the fan will kick on. Usually if I'm sitting in traffic or stoplights sometimes. Never goes higher.
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Not to change subject but how to you check the engine temp with the AZC? I'm curious.
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit84 View Post
Not to change subject but how to you check the engine temp with the AZC? I'm curious.
It's a cool feature. You can use your AZC to check for fault codes in your blend doors:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

When you're in that mode you can turn the passenger temp dial and see numbers up to 99 when you rotate. Put it to 66, then push the re-circ button, you will see your internal engine temp.

You can also use it to see your MPH, RPMS, Ambient under hood temp and some other stuff.... it's pretty nifty
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit84 View Post
Mine goes to the next line after 210 before the fan will kick on. Usually if I'm sitting in traffic or stoplights sometimes. Never goes higher.
And that's what worries me about mine... it does go higher...

After one hot ride, I forgot to add... on re-start my PS pump was moaning a bit, when I took off the cap... it POPPED with some pressure, then was quiet....

Unread 10-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
3JsWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie500LTD View Post
And that's what worries me about mine... it does go higher...
How high does it go? When I'm pulling a trailer with mine and climbing a long hill the temp will creep up past the 210 mark to ~225-230 maybe. Then, the fan must kick on high and it drops back down below 210. It was making me nervous but once I realized it always dropped back down, I don't watch it anymore.
I went as far as changing thermostat, water pump, flushing rad, HOAT with Distilled water, and a new rad cap. Nothing made a difference.

If it doesn't go past 230, I would think that is normal operation.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JsWJ View Post
How high does it go? When I'm pulling a trailer with mine and climbing a long hill the temp will creep up past the 210 mark to ~225-230 maybe. Then, the fan must kick on high and it drops back down below 210. It was making me nervous but once I realized it always dropped back down, I don't watch it anymore.
I went as far as changing thermostat, water pump, flushing rad, HOAT with Distilled water, and a new rad cap. Nothing made a difference.

If it doesn't go past 230, I would think that is normal operation.
Well it's been up to 225 and the fan doesn't go really fast, like I think it should... that's what worries me. The fan just seems to be going slightly faster, but not wailing.

I guess I'll just have to see what happens if it gets up to 230.

I'm just used to my other vehicles maintaining a pretty steady temp. Like my Galaxie will go to 195 but no higher, no matter what the temp is outside.
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie500LTD View Post

Well it's been up to 225 and the fan doesn't go really fast, like I think it should... that's what worries me. The fan just seems to be going slightly faster, but not wailing.

I guess I'll just have to see what happens if it gets up to 230.

I'm just used to my other vehicles maintaining a pretty steady temp. Like my Galaxie will go to 195 but no higher, no matter what the temp is outside.

It seems like you are barely on the higher side of the normal running temperature. With my scanner, mine will run from 201-224 on a hot day. I have my alarm set for 227. I always think its going to get higher than 224 but it usually backs down. When my scanner says 224 the dash guage is barely over the 210 mark.

I have a new radiator, new water pump, thermostat, hoses, and im running Zerex G-05. Stock hydro fan and power steering pump.

Engine oil also cools the engine, I notice mine runs 2 or 3 degrees cooler after an oil change. Are you close to the oil change time?

You should be fine, the numbers are in the normal range. Just always watch and make sure it doesnt creep up too high!

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Next time you notice the temp creep up, crank up the heater. If the temps drop and stay steady, it might be an indicator that your new radiator has some issues. If it's an aftermarket replacement, perhaps there is a better quality one you can use.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

With engine up to temp pull the ECT sensor and see if your hydro fan goes into airplane mode.

Do you hear or see it speed up (hydro fan) when you turn on AC?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Are you close to the oil change time?

You should be fine, the numbers are in the normal range. Just always watch and make sure it doesnt creep up too high!
Well that makes me feel a bit better.

Only 800 Miles since my last oil change. I never even go over 3000 miles between changes anyway. Running Mobil 1 synthetic and a purolator filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Next time you notice the temp creep up, crank up the heater. If the temps drop and stay steady, it might be an indicator that your new radiator has some issues. If it's an aftermarket replacement, perhaps there is a better quality one you can use.
I'll try that. I put in a Spectra brand rad. Looked and fit just like the one I replaced. Has a lifetime warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
With engine up to temp pull the ECT sensor and see if your hydro fan goes into airplane mode.

Do you hear or see it speed up (hydro fan) when you turn on AC?
I'll try that too. I've tried putting on the AC when up to operating temp and the fan speed doesn't seem to change....

I may try pulling the temp sensor off when the motors cold, I did that a year ago and the fan went to WAIL mode. I hope it does it again.
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Is your AC cold? Errr or was it cold in the summer when the temps creeped up?

I'd be curious to have a scantool that reads live data and compare engine temp to what your seeing on the climate control.

Know what? I can do that with my scanner and Grammys 04 limited............
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Is your AC cold? Errr or was it cold in the summer when the temps creeped up?

I'd be curious to have a scantool that reads live data and compare engine temp to what your seeing on the climate control.

Know what? I can do that with my scanner and Grammys 04 limited............
As a matter of fact... my AC was barely working during that heat wave on the HWY... now I don't think I have AC at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.