Little help 2004 intermitent problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Little help 2004 intermitent problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
redline36
2004 WJ 

Little help 2004 intermitent problem

Hello,
First time posting. I am having trouble with my 04 GC. the other night I got off the interstate when I went to accelerate it stumbled. Went about 5 miles and it happened again. Once at my destination it happened repeatedly. About 3 hours later it started just fine 2 mikes down the road it stumbled and this time quit and would not start. Called a tow truck took about an hour and when he got there it started but I still had it towed. Once home it starts but not as quickly.
Not sure if it is the fuel pump, filter or CPS. bought a pressure tester but my rail has no test port.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

redline36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

Hey there,

Look for codes by doing "the key dance": Put key in ignition, turn to first position. Now turn from first to second position 3 times, about half a second apart. Codes will show up in the odometer section. Then let us know what is showing.

Or if you have an OBD II scanner, even better.
sdg3205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

It will also help us to help you by filling in some of your jeep's information. We need to know what engine/transmission you have for starters. I live over in northern Butler County, PA, and could maybe give you a hand. It sounds like your Crank Position Sensor is failing, but without knowing more, it's tough to diagnose.
Unread 11-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
redline36
2004 WJ 

Mattyjm,

What I have is a 2004 WJ Special Edition, 4.0L Quadrac II automatic, 247 TC.
The jeep has 183000 miles on it. I just purchased it 3000 miles ago and everything looks to be original.

sdg3205

I will try the key dance tonight when I get home. I did hook up my OBD II scanner and it did not pop any codes. My check engine light is not on.

Thanks guys
Unread 11-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

[QUOTE=redline36;32728194]Mattyjm,

What I have is a 2004 WJ Special Edition, 4.0L Quadrac II automatic, 247 TC.
The jeep has 183000 miles on it. I just purchased it 3000 miles ago and everything looks to be original.

sdg3205

I will try the key dance tonight when I get home. I did hook up my OBD II scanner and it did not pop any codes. My check engine light is not on.

Thanks guys[/QUOTE

No codes and no CEL? This eludes to a failing PCM from my experience. I had a 2000 Dodge Ram 1 Ton Maxivan/ EFI 360 c.i./Auto trans that did the same thing, as well as my 2000 WJ 4.oL i6. Weird running issues all around....would stall out, then run rough like it was out of timing, then restart and it would run like new...with no CEL. Turned out to be the PCM on both vehicles, several years apart though.
Unread 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
redline36
2004 WJ 

Mattyjm,

If it ends up being a PCM, might I ask where you got your replacements from?
Unread 11-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
redline36
2004 WJ 

Well hooked up the OBD2 again and no codes. I then did the key and I got codes of P1490 & P1489. Which are fan related.
I also disconnected the fuel line and ran it into a jug, since there is no schrader valve. I did not get but a dribble when I took it off and not a lot of pressure with the key on, it was a light surge then a trickle. Not sure if it has to be running to get a constant flow.
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

I got both my replacement PCMs from www.autocomputerexchange.com.

Years ago, I was a walk-in customer for a PCM from a Ford Bronco II. I have moved back to PA, so I had to do both transactions from eBay listings.

The Dodge went down almost five years ago, and after replacing many things before the PCM, I joined the Dodge forum and got some advice. After replacing the PCM, my EFIed 360 c.i. V8 ran better than ever. I just sold that van in January and it was still running strong with no CELs.

My WJ started acting funny and wouldn't set a code, so back to autocomputerexchange.com I went. Another successful transaction over eBay, and I had that problem nipped in the bud.

What I'm sorry to have to tell you is, they don't look like they offer any more for my year/4.0L i6. However, you may find your specific model year is available....I think you have an '03???

I've stated on this forum many times that they're the ONLY online outfit that I'll deal with for PCMs. I've read that some Jeep owners have had problems with other PCM sellers, but you'd have to research those other sellers for yourself.

I hope this helps you, buddy. Since I have a little time, I'll see if I can find you a listing real quick. I always keep one in my watch list for quick reference.
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

I see you have an '04....here's a link for an '02 from them. Maybe you could research compatibility and comparison to the '04 part number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-JEEP-GR...CjB5hYoitg7vmA
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

I was just curiously cruising around.....this one has my interest a little bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Jeep-GR...BWHRBc&vxp=mtr
Unread 11-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
redline36
2004 WJ 

Well my GC is back on the road. After changing the CPS the truck ran worse so I put the old one back in. Lesson learned there about not using OEM sensors. I then changed the fuel filter, my fuel pressure came back and so far she runs great! I appreciate all the input.

Thanks
MikeG
Unread 11-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #12
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline36 View Post
Well my GC is back on the road. After changing the CPS the truck ran worse so I put the old one back in. Lesson learned there about not using OEM sensors. I then changed the fuel filter, my fuel pressure came back and so far she runs great! I appreciate all the input.

Thanks
MikeG
I'm glad you got it solved and it wasn't your PCM. Way to go, buddy!
Unread 11-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
redline36
2004 WJ 

Wj Back to the drawing board - still stalling

Well I had started a thread a couple weeks ago when I began having troubles with my 04 GC 4.0. It started with the Jeep acting like it was running out of gas, stalling then would start only to stall again a little further down the road until it finally quit and would not start. Waited about an hour for the tow truck and at that time it would start and run but I was not taking any chances and had it towed.
Installed new fuel filter. Ran like a champ for about 4 days then started acting up again but made it home this time.
Back to my garage installed a new OEM crank sensor. Took for a drive, it ran good but when you kicked it down into passing gear it would sputter and fall on it's face so back to the garage. Removed the Throttle Body and cleaned it and all the sensors put it back together and it ran good. Drove it around for about an hour then WHAM went to kick it down on the four lane and it began shuttering and finally quit. Would on attempt to refire but would quit when put into gear. Had it owed again next morning back to my garage and it fired right up and was able to drive it into the garage where I walked away from it before i set it on fire. This all came on all of a sudden and I am at my wits end, I love my jeep so any help would be greatly appreciated.

done so far:
New Fuel Filter
New OEM Crank Sensor
Cleaned TB
Cleaned IAC & TPS
Cleaned Battery Terminals

2004 Grand Cherokee SE 4.0L with 184000 miles

Thanks MikeG
Unread 11-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
ezflip

2002 WJ 

I merged your two threads to keep the forum clean from clutter.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, 3" exhaust, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

Yep. NOW I would suspect a bad PCM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.