A little confused and need some help/advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A little confused and need some help/advice

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
USMCGunrock
2004 WJ 

A little confused and need some help/advice

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Friday!

I need a little help to straighten me out a bit.

I have a 2004 WJ, i6, no tow package, Quadra-Trac II Transfer case, 42RE transmission, D30 front & D35 rear with 170+K miles.

I've only had this vehicle for about 3 months and am finally seeing some time opening up to actually do a full maintenance/tune up. I've been slowly getting parts to replace some things just because I don't really know the history of this vehicle (maintenance wise) and I think I've purchase some stuff that I don't really need and might need to return/replace for the correct stuff.

1. Differential. I've searched for a while but still kind of confused about the Veri-lok. As mentioned, I have the Q-T II and from my understanding is that only the Quadra-Drive has the Vari-Lok system. The only Q-T II that has it are those with the tow package and only on the rear diff. Is this correct? If so, I have to return the front shafts that I ordered and F.M. back and get new shafts for none-VariLok front shaft.

2. When I replace the front axle shafts, I want to replace all the diff fluid as well. I was looking into the LubeLocker diff gasket and from what I find is that the D30 front can use it. A lot of people mention that for the rear just use RTV but I also see LubeLockers for the D35 rear.
Front: http://www.amazon.com/Lube-Locker-Da...m_cr_pr_sims_t
Rear: http://www.amazon.com/Lube-Locker-Da...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I would like to get both front and rear LubeLockers but I don't know if I can use the one for the rear. I'm 90% sure I can use the one for the rear since my WJ doesn't have a VariLok system?

3. If my WJ doesn't have Vari-Lok, I can use the 75w140 RP gear oil without FM, correct?

Please advice. I would like to place my orders in by today so that all I need will be here for next weekend.

Thank you very much in advance,
Ed

USMCGunrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGunrock View Post
Good afternoon everyone and Happy Friday!

I need a little help to straighten me out a bit.

I have a 2004 WJ, i6, no tow package, Quadra-Trac II Transfer case, 42RE transmission, D30 front & D35 rear with 170+K miles.

I've only had this vehicle for about 3 months and am finally seeing some time opening up to actually do a full maintenance/tune up. I've been slowly getting parts to replace some things just because I don't really know the history of this vehicle (maintenance wise) and I think I've purchase some stuff that I don't really need and might need to return/replace for the correct stuff.

1. Differential. I've searched for a while but still kind of confused about the Veri-lok. As mentioned, I have the Q-T II and from my understanding is that only the Quadra-Drive has the Vari-Lok system. The only Q-T II that has it are those with the tow package and only on the rear diff. Is this correct? If so, I have to return the front shafts that I ordered and F.M. back and get new shafts for none-VariLok front shaft.

2. When I replace the front axle shafts, I want to replace all the diff fluid as well. I was looking into the LubeLocker diff gasket and from what I find is that the D30 front can use it. A lot of people mention that for the rear just use RTV but I also see LubeLockers for the D35 rear.
Front: http://www.amazon.com/Lube-Locker-Da...m_cr_pr_sims_t
Rear: http://www.amazon.com/Lube-Locker-Da...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I would like to get both front and rear LubeLockers but I don't know if I can use the one for the rear. I'm 90% sure I can use the one for the rear since my WJ doesn't have a VariLok system?

3. If my WJ doesn't have Vari-Lok, I can use the 75w140 RP gear oil without FM, correct?

Please advice. I would like to place my orders in by today so that all I need will be here for next weekend.

Thank you very much in advance,
Ed
If you call a local dealer and give them your vin and make it seem like youll be purchasing from them, then they will probably be more than happy to tell you exactly what you need. I did it myself lol. As far as the 75 140 I was told to make sure to only use synthetic 75 140 in the diffs. SSorry I cant be of more help, Good Luck!
jra8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
USMCGunrock
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra8858 View Post
If you call a local dealer and give them your vin and make it seem like youll be purchasing from them, then they will probably be more than happy to tell you exactly what you need. I did it myself lol. As far as the 75 140 I was told to make sure to only use synthetic 75 140 in the diffs. SSorry I cant be of more help, Good Luck!
ya, the Royal Purple 75w140 is synthetic.

I would ask my dealer but the parts guy probably don't know much. That's where I got the Friction Modifier and that's what he gave me after looking up my VIN but I don't think I need it just from what I've been reading. I do have a build sheet for my WJ as well and all it says is:

DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
DGK 4-Spd. Automatic 42RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHFP Quadra-Trac II On Demand 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMS Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

You do not have Vari-locks. Vari-locks were only in D44a axles, never the D35. The 75-140 will be fine, you can also get away with 80-90. If it has some FM already in it, its not going to hurt anything, so don't kill yourself trying to find gear oil without FM already in it.

I think both of those lubelockers will work, but don't quote me on that. I don't use them, I just use RTV. Its cheap and easy.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
USMCGunrock
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
You do not have Vari-locks. Vari-locks were only in D44a axles, never the D35. The 75-140 will be fine, you can also get away with 80-90. If it has some FM already in it, its not going to hurt anything, so don't kill yourself trying to find gear oil without FM already in it.

I think both of those lubelockers will work, but don't quote me on that. I don't use them, I just use RTV. Its cheap and easy.
Thanks ezflip! Both LubeLockers ordered, 75w140 gear oil on the way, ordering a new set of front axle shafts for none vari-lok.

Anybody interested in brand new D30 front axel shafts for vari-lok with 2 4oz bottle of Mopar FM? lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.