Liftgate sensor needs replacing, where is it??? 99 JGC LTD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Liftgate sensor needs replacing, where is it??? 99 JGC LTD

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Liftgate sensor needs replacing, where is it??? 99 JGC LTD

I posted a while back about having a issue where I am driving and randomly my overhead console goes beep beep beep and displays "liftgate open". Funny thing is I am driving either on the highway or intown and the liftgate is closed. So I pull over open it and give it a good slam to make sure it's closed and right away again or sometimes few minutes later same thing liftgate open. It doesn't just do it once and stop it will sometimes do it every couple seconds for ten to fifteen minutes at a time with the lovely five beep warning too!

Now this is a very random problem and has happened only a few times recently but when it happens it is super super annoying. Wouldn't be bad if it was just the words displayed on the overhead console but the "beep beep beep beep beep" that proceeds the message is enough to drive a man to drink.....ecspecially since it doesn't do it once and quit it will flash on and off ever couple of seconds for a random amount of time. One time it did it all the way home from a hour commute and it was all I could do to not pull over and rip the damn rear hatch off!!

Now this being said I have posted this before and the only response i got was lube the latches and if that doesnt work adjust them. I have lubed and adjusted them now and still randomly have this problem. I have looked around the rear latch area and found no "door jamb switch" that would be shorting out or loosing contact so I assume the switch for the liftgate is built into one of the latches or something. This is a real annoying problem and it actually sets of the factory security sometimes too because when it's all locked up the sensor is sending the message that the liftgate is open therefore the security thinks someone opened it and sets off the lights and horn.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated it is driving me nuts! I hate electrical problems like this and ecspecially when they are so random it hurts. I have owned the jeep about four years now and it never started doing this until this year. I am assuming I just have a bad liftgate switch/sensor but not sure where it is located to replace it..........Thanks in advance for any help!

JOSHMAN00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Nobody, Anybody....? I have called four local dealers today and no one can tell me where the sensor/switch is! Pathetic for a "jeep" dealer not to be able to tell me something so simple as this.

I have checked each latch L&R and they both need to be clicked onto the latch together to turn off the "liftgate open" on the display. So this leads me to believe there is a sensor in each latch or the actuator has the sensor or something. Not that also being said the glass lid opened gives the same message of "liftgate open" when it is open so it maybe the switch or that and not the door. The SH&T of it all is that the latch's for the gate are almost $300 for a pair and if I get those and thats not the problem theres money wasted.

So anybody at all have a wiring diagram or anything? This is the second post thats unsuccessful so far and also three to four calls to local dealers with nothing. This can't be a rocket science problem i wouldn't think.........
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

i might be way wrong but i think it might be in the hinge area. i was trying to find out about my rear hatch and saw some wierd stuff going on there. but that was about a month ago. ill take a look again when i get off work and see if i cant help you find it. that is if someone dosent chim in first.
SILVER&BLACK 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L V8 HO, Clayton 6" liftT w/ Bilstien 5100's and 2in pucks , 37X12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on red and black Creeper Locks, front and back Dana 60 w/ ARB lockers, Chromolly shafts and 5.13 gears, ARB compressor, Flowmaster 50 exhuast, K&N FIPK, IRO front bumper and flares, and Cobra 29NW with firestick antenna.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/backdoor_artist-first-ever-jeep-build-1167659/index7.html#post12830094"]Build Thread[/URL]
Mud_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHMAN00 View Post
Nobody, Anybody....? I have called four local dealers today and no one can tell me where the sensor/switch is! Pathetic for a "jeep" dealer not to be able to tell me something so simple as this.

I have checked each latch L&R and they both need to be clicked onto the latch together to turn off the "liftgate open" on the display. So this leads me to believe there is a sensor in each latch or the actuator has the sensor or something. Not that also being said the glass lid opened gives the same message of "liftgate open" when it is open so it maybe the switch or that and not the door. The SH&T of it all is that the latch's for the gate are almost $300 for a pair and if I get those and thats not the problem theres money wasted.

So anybody at all have a wiring diagram or anything? This is the second post thats unsuccessful so far and also three to four calls to local dealers with nothing. This can't be a rocket science problem i wouldn't think.........
The 4 doors up front have their sensors in the latches I believe. I don't see why it would be any different for the hatch.

Why dealer parts? What about a junk yard?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Get kolak to get you one.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
The 4 doors up front have their sensors in the latches I believe. I don't see why it would be any different for the hatch.

Why dealer parts? What about a junk yard?

Main reason I called the dealer is to try to find out where the switch is located and they "guess" its probably in one of the latch's. From what I can rough guess if the switch(s) are in the latch's they are in both. I would buy take off latch's from a wrecker but I still cannot confirm thats what I need to replace to fix this. Anyways the search continues!
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
TophCasey
1986 CJ7 

Same problem guys .. any new leads/luck on this problem! really annoying that my alarm constantly goes off unless i open and then barely shut the liftgate.
work in progress!
TophCasey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.