Liftgate Actuator Works But Shoots out of Brackets! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Liftgate Actuator Works But Shoots out of Brackets!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Mykill73
2004 WJ 

Wj Liftgate Actuator Works But Shoots out of Brackets!

I recently replaced my liftgate actuator in my 2004 WJ and it 'actuates' as advertised. Problem is, the actuator arms shoots past the bracket arm, so when I go to lock it, that piece gets hung-up on that same bracket (I think this is why the last one broke). The arm doesn't slide back into the bracket when I go to lock it. I'm having a tough time seeing what to adjust. Any ideas?

actuator.jpg  
Mykill73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
webby88
2000 WJ 

You did not install the actuator correctly (from what I can tell). It seems like it is not secured on the side opposite the screw which holds it in place.

There are little plastic nubs that need to 'slide in' into the metal bracket on the side opposite the part with the screw.

I just did mine and I wish I had taken a picture to show you, I know it took me a few tries till I got it secured in properly. Once done it should not allow the actuator to swing the arm as far out.
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Mykill73
2004 WJ 

Thank you sir! I shall check tonight and let you know!
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Mykill73
2004 WJ 

That was it! The two little teeth on the back of the actuator had to fit into the bracket just so. I see you replied back in October when I first posted, but I never got an email notification that someone replied to my post, so I never checked! Not your concern I know, but I should have checked sooner! My liftgate is now fixed! Thank you.
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykill73 View Post
That was it! The two little teeth on the back of the actuator had to fit into the bracket just so. I see you replied back in October when I first posted, but I never got an email notification that someone replied to my post, so I never checked! Not your concern I know, but I should have checked sooner! My liftgate is now fixed! Thank you.
Happy to be able to be of help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.