lift kits for dd wj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > lift kits for dd wj

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
shortbus1973

Wj lift kits for dd wj

Let me start by saying this is a great forum...unfortunately my wj spun a rod bearing.so my lift money has been redirected to new engine rebuild.But this moment of pause may be a good thing...I had decided on the 4in rough country lift...but the more threads I read I'm thinking that might be a bad idea....its a daily driver that sees light off roading...but since my expedition got totaled my wj is doing double duty as tow rig...I've never lifted a coil on solid axle so I'm unsure of the pitfalls...I've had ifs 2500 GMC with 8 inch lift that towed without any issues...and a few square body chevys and full size Broncos...I've had 3 xjs but never felt the need to lift them...would a bb lift be more what I need? Or go 4in but only mess with the long arm kit? The Rubiconexpress or Rc bb lift better?

shortbus1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Duh

Bb's are pretty much the same. And since they run 80$ or so its a good place to start and decide if you want to go bigger or not. They can usually be resold fairly easily. Jgcparts.com is my recommendation .
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

That's most likely where I will start. I don't see a lot of off-road and I am somewhat disabled, so it's best for me, for now. I do want to run the life out of my Michelins before I do it, though. I saw some Michelins in the correct size for the 2" BB, but they sure are expensive. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for."

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Wise decision.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
02_dub

i started with a bb. and noticed saggy stock coils. so i got the 2.5" kit from fat bobs.
02_dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Email Nick at kolak@aol.com he will get you hooked up with the best kit out there.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

There are a lot of people that will bag on the RC kit but it's not that bad. I've got the RC X-Series kit (4") and I think I'm doing fine. Still balancing out some of the bumpsteer (or slight DW whatever you call it) but otherwise it's ok. The ride's not "like a Cadillac" but I expected that.. I would've bought a Caddy if I wanted to ride down the road that way.

Even though most manufacturers don't warn you about it, DW can happen easily on any kit (including a LA kit) and it's typically caused by worn suspension parts. You'll want to factor in also replacing all TRE's, Axle Bushings, Ball Joints, maybe hubs and a few other odds and ends too. For me, it was a good choice. Is it top of the line, no. Do I need top of the line? No.

With any kit I'd recommend getting a WD hitch if you're planning on towing with it. That'll help level out your ride (and the trailer) and make it easier on everything (rear end, suspension, transmission, etc).
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.