lift kit question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > lift kit question

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Wj lift kit question

So when i look up lift kits I see two types, one is just four round ( maybe rubber ) pieces the other is shocks springs but I dont see the round pieces.... can anyone help,

droptopanstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Uhhhh... What?

The round pieces are called a budget boost. It's cheap and will get you a couple inches higher. You need shocks with a BB.

The springs and shocks are also a lift. Depending on the height, many other parts can be required.

What are you asking?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopanstop View Post
So when i look up lift kits I see two types, one is just four round ( maybe rubber ) pieces the other is shocks springs but I dont see the round pieces.... can anyone help,
Need more info including how high you want to go, what your budget is and what you plan on doing with it. Do you just want bigger tires?

What kind of jeep do you have? Trim package and if you have upcountry springs.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
The 4 round rubber pieces are coil spring spacers. They are typically 2" tall and go on top of the stock springs to lift your Jeep 2" higher. You would need to replace your shocks with longer ones as well. These lifts are inexpensive and are commonly called budge boosts or BB.

They make 2" and larger lift kits for WJ's with replacement coil springs and shocks. The higher you go the more parts you need to upgrade and the higher the costs.

If you are a beginner I would recommend a 2" budget boost and some new shocks. Popular brands around here are Iron Rock Offroad, Rustys Offroad, Rough Country, and Fat Bob's Garage.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

PM me here on the forum if you'd like to get a Budget Boost. I have very nice kits available. I also have good budget oriented shocks or performance shocks.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Awesome thanks linus, sorry guys for the goofy and probally hard to understand question lol
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Can I do 3" COIL spacers with out changing the springs or shocks? Or would that b bad?
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Can I do 3" COIL spacers with out changing the springs or shocks? Or would that b bad?
Your shocks will die quickly.

At 2" it would work for a little bit. You will want new shocks regardless of boost amount.

I don't even know if it would work at 3" at all. I wouldn't recommend it.
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

No. At 3", you want the springs, shocks, track bar (preferable adjustable), rear end links, preferably new spring isolators, and preferably a new heavy duty steering stabilizer to help with the larger tires.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Well I'm seeinga huge variety of prices on the coil spring spacers 39 dollars to 150 dollars... can anyone point me in the right direction. .. I don't want a crappy product
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopanstop
Well I'm seeinga huge variety of prices on the coil spring spacers 39 dollars to 150 dollars... can anyone point me in the right direction. .. I don't want a crappy product
Generally, you get what you pay for. I think there might be a couple brands out there. Rough Country makes one. You'll want new shocks too. $250 for a complete kit with shocks.
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Kolak
Vendor

Did you see my post above from a couple days ago? Send me PM or email me at kolak@aol.com - I have a very nice 2" BB available.

Quote:
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
asatxj
2001 WJ 

Kolak is a great chap and will set you up. Or you can look on the classifieds here, BB's show up now and then. The spacers are pretty much the same regardless who you buy them from. Get new shocks though, might as well buy them for a 3" lift, you'll probably end up there anyway
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Poseidon
2002 WJ 

I bought my kit from Kolak, it was perfect for me. I have the 2" BB, Bilstein Shocks, and I went with 245 70R 17 Cooper A/T3's (Almost a 31" tire), no trimming required, and that tire size will fit in the spare well. I had the UpCountry springs, so I am 3" higher than stock, with 2" larger tires. To me, it looks perfect, it should have looked this way from the factory.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Did you see my post above from a couple days ago?
Nick, you don't understand...why do a Search to read old threads, or use the up-arrow button to read posts from a few days ago, when one can just start a new thread? Many are able to ask, a fewer number seem good at reading or listening...

To the OP, just contact Kolak. Even if you don't buy from him (although you should - he is well known for service and pricing), he is very helpful and could help refine your options.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.