lift kit help, please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > lift kit help, please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
dacv01
1999 WJ 

lift kit help, please

I just installed a 4 inch rough country lift kit on my 1999 jeep grand cherokee. it rides and looks very nice, but after 25 miles per hour i have a bad vibration. one person at rough country told me i need adjustable lower control arms, the other told me i need a different driveshaft. someone point me in the correct direction?

dacv01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacv01 View Post
I just installed a 4 inch rough country lift kit on my 1999 jeep grand cherokee. it rides and looks very nice, but after 25 miles per hour i have a bad vibration. one person at rough country told me i need adjustable lower control arms, the other told me i need a different driveshaft. someone point me in the correct direction?
I assume this is the basic kit then. In which case, you probably need both. Being a 99, you have rzeppa front driveshaft and the cv joint on it cannot handle the steep angles of a 4" lift. You need to upgrade to a double cardon (u-joint style) driveshaft. Also, your caster/pinion angles are probably bad and there is nothing you can do about it with fixed control arms. You need at least adjustable lowers. But adjustable uppers as well would be allow to fine tune it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
dacv01
1999 WJ 

okay, what could i start with to drive it for a little? the front driveshaft then control arms? just spend 500 on the kit and some more on labor, wasnt planning on more issues
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
ezflip

2002 WJ 

That kit is known to have its problems. So, expect more issues. For now, remove the front driveshaft. That will at lease make it driveable. If you can get to an alignment shop that does free checks, have them put it on the rack and tell you what your caster angle is. Should be around 4.5-6 degrees to avoid driveline vibes at that height. You may not need them right now, but definitely put them on the list if you plan to offroad it at all. Put an adjustable track bar off the list too. Get rid of the drop brackets and drop pitman arm as soon as you can.

BTW, you should have gotten the x-series kit. You will end up spending a lot more money fixing the issues with the basic kit than you would have spent on the x-series...or probably even the long arm kit.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
dacv01
1999 WJ 

okay thats a start. i work at a dealership so getting parts wont be to bad. i jad a buddy install the lift kit at 400. the rest of the work id like to do if i can. the driveshaft replacement and other issued you mentioned can i do those myself? what kind of driveshaft do i need to get?
Unread 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
r1raven
2000 WJ 

i believe one off a 2002 to 04 wj will work.
r1raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

You mean to tell me that you had the audacity to buy a product offered as a "kit" and not have to expend additional money to purchase additional parts to not have issues with your newly-lifted vehicle?

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
dacv01
1999 WJ 

no i just wasnt expecting the driveshaft issue- the kit was to easy to install to not have other issues
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

And how do you intend to remedy your driveline angle issue without adjustable control arms? Unfortunately, what RC included in their marketing of the base kit was flatly incorrect and grossly misleading.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.