Lift gate/ reverse lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lift gate/ reverse lights

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Jason_alex
2001 WJ 

Lift gate/ reverse lights

Hey guys, have any of you ever had a problem with your reverse lights not working and when you lock your jeep your hatch dosnt lock but sometimes when you unlock it, it wont open?

Just wondering if im just one alone here, or if the two problems are connected

Jason_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
bhicks
2002 WJ 

I know this is an old thread but it seems to be the only one I could find asking about reverse lights going out. I am having the same problem and can't figure out what is causing it. No bad fuse that I found and I replaced the lights and they are still not working. Anyone else have their reverse lights go out? What was the problem?
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

When you say they go out, do you mean the bulbs keep blowing or sometimes the same bulbs work and sometimes they don't?

If they work sometimes and others not, I'd check the little metal contacts on the bulb socket. Clean them, scratch em up with sandpaper to remove any corrosion and bend them out a bit and see if that does it. It's a common issue with the break light bulbs, but I've never heard of a reverse light issue before. Because the sockets are the same idea, it wouldn't surprise me if that was your problem.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
When you say they go out, do you mean the bulbs keep blowing or sometimes the same bulbs work and sometimes they don't?
They don't work at all. They were working a few weeks ago and then yesterday when my wife was backing out of the garage I noticed they were not working. I went down to napa and picked up a new bulb to test and also picked up some fuses. At this point with a new bulb and fuse I still can not get either light to come on when the car is in reverse.
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Hmmm. That is a little stranger, but I'd still take a look at the sockets, just to rule them out if nothing else. I'm assuming the wiring/harness from the vehicle to the light housing all looks good?

The fact that they both went out at the same time and your fuse looks good lends itself to a bigger issue. :/
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
bhicks
2002 WJ 

The wiring harness looked good but I didn't go over it SUPER close. I figured the issue was either a bulb or fuse. By the time I had the bulb and fuse put in it was dark and didn't have time to do any more investigating. I have a few free hours tomorrow morning to really dig into it. Hopefully I will find the issue then and report back. My hope was that someone had this same issue and could save me some time and energy and point me in the right direction.
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
tanner775

I am having the same problem! First, it was my driver side tail light. I found out that the socket was fried and melted the plastic around the ground. I wasn't paying attention to the reverse lights at the time so i can't remember if they were working or not when I had the tail light issue. So, I baught an after market Anzo Euro tail light kit for the WJ and the tail lights work, the brake lights work, and the blinkers work, but not the reverse lights. I checked the fuse and the bulbs/sockets are all fine.

I checked the power to each connecters and the reverse light connecter isn't getting power to both so I am assuming it could be the pressure switch in the transmission for reverse you think?

Last edited by tanner775; 06-17-2011 at 11:30 AM..
tanner775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Jason_alex
2001 WJ 

What i ended up having to do is tap into the other tail light and run a new wire from there.
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner775 View Post
I am having the same problem! First, it was my driver side tail light. I found out that the socket was fried and melted the plastic around the ground. I wasn't paying attention to the reverse lights at the time so i can't remember if they were working or not when I had the tail light issue. So, I baught an after market Anzo Euro tail light kit for the WJ and the tail lights work, the brake lights work, and the blinkers work, but not the reverse lights. I checked the fuse and the bulbs/sockets are all fine.

I checked the power to each connecters and the reverse light connecter isn't getting power to both so I am assuming it could be the pressure switch in the transmission for reverse you think?
I'm not sure the 45RFE has a pressure switch in the tranny. People keep telling me the problem is in the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) but I am having a REALLY hard time finding anyone who actually had their TRS go out or even get a list of symptoms when a TRS goes out. I talked with a Jeep mechanic at the dealership who stated he had worked their for over 20 years and never replaced a TRS or even seen reverse lights go out in a WJ when it wasn't simply a bad bulb or housing. I'm really stumped right now and just don't know what to do.
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
jpaytoncfd

Are you sure the reverse lights are controlled by the tranny? There is a pretty big wireing harness coming out of the shifter housing. Could there be a bad switch there?
jpaytoncfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
animal43
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks View Post
I know this is an old thread but it seems to be the only one I could find asking about reverse lights going out. I am having the same problem and can't figure out what is causing it. No bad fuse that I found and I replaced the lights and they are still not working. Anyone else have their reverse lights go out? What was the problem?
i have the same issue can't find answer either...let me know if you find out or visa versa...
animal43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.