Lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
rfritz7
2004 WJ 

Lift

Have a 04 GC with the 4.0l and it's the freedom Ed. I want to put a lift on it.m I would like to go 4 inch but then your getting into changing the front drive shaft and stuff and I'm not all into that. I would if I new want to get and do but it seems like a lot of work. So I saw that iro has a 3 inch kit does anyone run that and if so how do you like it and wat tires do you run. I would like to run a 31-32 inch tire. Can I get some pics to see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM
cruzer23
2002 WJ 

u can go 3" then get .75 spacers, 32" tires. thats my plan
post #3 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
3.75" of lift is pretty much 4" of lift. Just because your COIL is only 3" doesn't mean you can get away with stacking spacers and still fall in the 3" category.

31's will easily fit with a 3" lift. Some bumper trimming and you can fit a 32.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM
seu83
2002 WJ 

I'm going to be upgrading to the iro 3" kit next month to. Currently I have 2 3/4" with a set of 31x10.5's. Theres alot of good pics at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...lease-1089317/ . But for a quick idea this is how mine sits now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0302.JPG  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
cruzer23
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
3.75" of lift is pretty much 4" of lift. Just because your COIL is only 3" doesn't mean you can get away with stacking spacers and still fall in the 3" category.

31's will easily fit with a 3" lift. Some bumper trimming and you can fit a 32.
he wanted to go 4 but knew it required more work. therefore i suggested the 3.75 lift which requires NO extra work than a 3" lift yet nets near 4"

ask kolak...
post #6 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Your argument is:

Follow the chart. Under 4", good to go.

I agree to an extent. Yes you are under 4" and you could probably get by not worrying about the 4" components.

The reason I disagree is because when it comes down to it, it's not completely about numbers. Your jeep isn't going to care about a quarter of an inch. If something happens at 4", it probably will happen at 3.75".

Can you do it? Heck yeah!
Will it work? Probably.
Could new problems arise? Sure.

For the record, I don't completely disagree with your point. I think I'm more warning that if you want to do 3.75" to save expense compared to 4", make sure you have extra in the budget just in case.

On a second note, I'm probably going to do the same thing when my current set of tires wear out (I'll want to go up a size). When I do, I'll be prepared to take care of drive shaft issues, death wobble issues, look into control arms/long arms (if I decide I want to slowly keep building up), think about bump stops, etc. Will I NEED to do all that? Probably not but I'd rather be prepared than surprised.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
cruzer23
2002 WJ 

im just repeating what kolak said. u want to argue or debate take it up with him

but i will say, who came up with the magic number of 4 then? why didnt they say 3.75? then why would my jeep care about that, wont it happen at 3" lol
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I don't intend to come off as arguing. Like I said above, 3.75 would probably be just fine but it's so close to 4, it would be worth saving up some extra cash in case an issue arises.

I'm not sure where the numbers come from exactly. A lot of it has to do with control arm and drive shaft angles. 3.75" is a lot closer to 4" than 3". The angles on the suspension components are going to be pretty darn close to that of a 4" lift.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
skain8

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer23 View Post
he wanted to go 4 but knew it required more work. therefore i suggested the 3.75 lift which requires NO extra work than a 3" lift yet nets near 4"

ask kolak...
Should have squeezed out a tad more and aimed for 3.99" lift. No extra work, and just a C hair under 4".

I'm sure Kolak would agree.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's

post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
cruzer23
2002 WJ 

Hi,

You can try it, but if their springs lift even a small fraction of an inch over 4", you will need adjustable arms. The geometry falls right off the cliff above 4" and the caster, pinion angle, and wheelwell centering all require adjustable arms to get it correct.

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a photo of a customer's 3" OME lift with 32" tires.

Kolak

Hi,

Kevin's Offroad makes .75" spacers, so that would get you to 3.75". At that height I don't have worries about geometry. Are you familiar with Kevin's Offroad's products?

Kolak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.