Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Leveling kits....

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  LyferXB9s 
#1 ·
Is there any real quality concerns when buying the 130 dollar 2'' coil spacer off ebay as compared to the few hundred dollar ones also listed on the bay....
Trying to buy my little sister a 00-03 grand cherokee for her birthday. The only thing we have discussed that neither of us like is the front end sitting lower. I was thinking a 1.5-2'' coil space should leve the jeep out nicely.Not really wanting to go with big tires Going to stick with a Falken RockyMountain ATS LT225/75R16D1 (29.5'').
Here is the jeep im currently looking at
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2781822355.html

#9 ·
The WJ is only supposed to sit about 1 inch lower in the front then the rear. 18 inches from hub to fender in the front, 19 inches from the hub to fender in the rear. So a 3/4 should level it out. However if the jeep is sagging... you may want to look into some other options. I like how it sits from factory, so when you have more people in it or loaded with cargo it will then sit level and keep the front end on the ground.

#11 ·
What I did for a bit more height, I did 3/4 spacers all the way around and did spring spacers (sit in between the actual coils) and it gave me more lift all around and then some more in the rear.

Take some hub to fender measurements and see where you are at.

#20 ·
What I did for a bit more height, I did 3/4 spacers all the way around and did spring spacers (sit in between the actual coils) and it gave me more lift all around and then some more in the rear.

Take some hub to fender measurements and see where you are at.
Do NOT use the coil spacers that pry coils apart. They will damage your coils over time. Possibly breaking them.

Hadn't seen those things in a decade or more, and was very happy not to.

#12 ·
Im going to wait and see what year and style I end up getting here. Some of them I have found forsale I like as is. Once I throw those Falken ATs on there I think it will give it a decent look. Then go from there on the lift.

#14 ·
Id stick with 03 or 04. Later production runs, less problems. The 04's look the best.

The 42re behind the 4.0 isn't the best. But it really comes down to how the vehicle was maintained/

#16 ·
#19 ·
LyferXB9s said:
Wow the death wobble really has me concerned now.
Well if you don't plan on lifting (I'm not counting leveling spacer as lift) you probably don't have to worry about it.

#21 ·
ratmonkey said:
Do NOT use the coil spacers that pry coils apart. They will damage your coils over time. Possibly breaking them.

Hadn't seen those things in a decade or more, and was very happy not to.
Woah, I had no idea. They are those little bricks of rubber... that keep the coil from compressing under load... so those are bad?

#22 ·
Yes they are bad. I have seen coils break from them. Essentialy all of the weight of the vehicle is on the springs, and then you put those coils spacers in and then all the weight is on the location of the coils space. about a 2'' area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.