Less than Impressed with Superchips 3875 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Less than Impressed with Superchips 3875

So I finally got my Superchips 3875 in.

To be perfectly honest, I’m way less than impressed so far, so much so that I’m contemplating returning it.

I was excited to be able to use the data acquisition through the thing to be able to measure certain parameters, but it doesn’t seem to work worth a damn everytime I’ve used it. I can get it to start recording (or at least I think so), I get it on the screen of the Flashpaq, but then within moments the screen seems to freeze and the parameters stop changing. So I attempt to stop it by pressing the “OK” button as it instructs, it beeps and then stays on the frozen screen. There is no combination of buttons that will get it back to the menus of the programmer, only thing I’ve been able to do was unplug it and replug it. But I figure since it beeped, I managed to get the data saved in there right?

Which brings me to my next complaint, the software (the updater), is ABSOLUTE BULLOCKS. First of all, trying to update the thing before using it took me near 3 hours of fiddling to get it to work correctly. Upon some research on their forums (And don’t you worry I have plenty to piss and moan about those too) this is a common problem and has yet to be fixed upwards of 6 months later. They either don’t care enough to figure it out or can’t, but their updater software simply will not work without extreme finagling of the USB drivers, usage of plugs and sequence of events (Their so called Update Workaround). So I finally get it to update, or so I think (I honestly have no idea if it did as neither the programmer nor the software denoted any sort of successful download). So moving back to the data acquisition, in the software, there is no sort of menu, button, anything that mentions the data acquisition or where the data would be saved. It was my understanding that I would be able to use the programmer to download the data and view it on the computer, or for that matter the programmer. Either way it doesn’t seem to have either recorded the data or let me be able to view it. Also when the software is "Analyzing Hardware", it takes upwards of 10 minutes to get it done, that is if it decides to work at all. Now my computer is no slouch, TripleCore Phenom II, 4 gigs RAM, there is no reason it should take that long. Anyone else have that issue?

Now perhaps you’re thinking, well mycreativename, why don’t you just go onto Superchip’s forums and figure out how to work their gypsy magic programmer through asking them a series of passive aggressive questions? Well don’t you worry I tried that as well… Twice. Firstly, I’d like to just say that their forum’s way of organizing threads is ridiculous, as far as I can tell there is no way to view topics in the order that replies have been made recently (In order, more clear terms, the way JeepForum does it). Next, I tried to sign up so I myself could just post a straight to the point topic and ask some direct questions rather than filter though years of BS, well twice I tried with my first email, their website failed to send me an activation email, and then I tried another hoping to get around it, nope, again no activation email. Alas, I am not allowed to post anything on their site to ask the Superchips people whats what with this programmer, not that it seems like I would get a great answer from them anyways, the Ron@Superchips guy seems to not really be able to offer any sort of useful answer other than “Its not our fault, it’s obviously your ___________(Car/Computer/Knowledge/Astrology Sign/etc).”

Therefore, I have come here to rant and hope that someone here has had some similar issues and can offer some insight/solutions/suggestions before I say to hell with this thing.

Thanks.

99' WJ, 2.5" Rusty's, Bilstein 5100's, JKS TrackBar, Moog SuperTrailBoss
"With enough fabbing, time & $, it's certainly possible.
That being said, it's like boinkin' your sister...just because you can, doesn't mean you should." - Double E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
AuroraProject
2004 WJ 

Ok so other than data acquisition how does it do? I've been considering one of these for the ability to program a tune and change tire size parameters.
post #3 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject
Ok so other than data acquisition how does it do? I've been considering one of these for the ability to program a tune and change tire size parameters.
Meh, I haven't had it long enough to tell you about the Mileage setting, my butt dyno says it might be a bit quicker in 87 performance, but I don't really know. I'd love to tell you my 0-60's compared (Which the data acquisition could, if I could get it to work and not freeze up on me).

That being said, it's like boinkin' your sister...just because you can, doesn't mean you should." - Double E

post #4 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Also, I feel I should add, I have read the instructions front to back more than once, they aren't of much help.

post #5 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM
D0dgeRam1500
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Superchips programmer on both my Ram and my WJ. I had to use a Windows Vista computer when updating the Ram's programmer. The WJ's programmer would only update on a Windows 7 computer. These things are very glitchy. Also, the more power the car has stock, the more you will notice the programmer. The tire size portion of it is off. Use a GPS unit and test it to change the tire size. I have noticed that it is closer to the right speed when you choose one whole tire size smaller.

2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
post #6 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dgeRam1500
I have a Superchips programmer on both my Ram and my WJ. I had to use a Windows Vista computer when updating the Ram's programmer. The WJ's programmer would only update on a Windows 7 computer. These things are very glitchy. Also, the more power the car has stock, the more you will notice the programmer. The tire size portion of it is off. Use a GPS unit and test it to change the tire size. I have noticed that it is closer to the right speed when you choose one whole tire size smaller.
Have you had any experience with it freezing up on you in data logging mode? I just tried to use it again, this time for one parameter and a simple one at that, vehicle speed. It got to 1mph and froze up, wouldn't change mph, wouldn't start, stop, anything, again I had to just pull the plug to get it to work again.

post #7 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
04ovrland
2004 WJ 

My biggest complaint with my SC is the updater, i could never get it to work on my Windows 7 computer.

As far as the actual function of the programmer, i feel as though it must have been designed originally using a almost brand new vehicle. My transmission HATES the 91 performance tune, all it does is slip when it tries to shift hard, and my 4.7HO hates the 87 tune, it makes it more of a dog than when i run it 100% stock on 87. Also it says that the tuner is designed to work with bolt on modifications, but it HATES my cold air intake, it actually lowers my mileage.

The ONLY thing i like about my superchip is i can use it as a diognostics tool and it raises my gas mileage(Mainly because of the adjusted tire size, Not the tune)

Now is it superchips fault or is it just that Jeep did an amazing job with our jeeps originally? Im not sure but i wish i could find out..

2004 Overland WJ 4.7ho/545rfe/247/d44a
post #8 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ovrland
As far as the actual function of the programmer, i feel as though it must have been designed originally using a almost brand new vehicle. My transmission HATES the 91 performance tune, all it does is slip when it tries to shift hard, and my 4.7HO hates the 87 tune, it makes it more of a dog than when i run it 100% stock on 87. Also it says that the tuner is designed to work with bolt on modifications, but it HATES my cold air intake, it actually lowers my mileage.

The ONLY thing i like about my superchip is i can use it as a diognostics tool and it raises my gas mileage(Mainly because of the adjusted tire size, Not the tune)

Now is it superchips fault or is it just that Jeep did an amazing job with our jeeps originally? Im not sure but i wish i could find out..
So you think I would probably be better off just sending it back? I have the standard output 4.7, so perhaps I will notice the power tunes moreso, but with respect to tuning, I honestly bought it for the mileage tune. However if you're claiming that it doesn't work all that well, then that's just another strike against it.

So essentially I have a three hundred dollar GameBoy that doesn't tune well, as it claimed it does, and doesn't do diagnostics or data logging, as it claimed it does...

From what I've read in this thread (http://www.superchips.com/forum/view...&view=previous), it seems to state that there is no way that data logging is going to work, and that this is going to be useful only as a Code Reader.... Wonderful.

post #9 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

One of the guy's siggy's on that forum says he has a Superchips 3865. I'm assuming you have the 3875 Jeep specific one?

Also, I've read that ppl with low output 4.7's feel more power than ppl with HO's

l 04 WJ l OME HD+3/4" spacers l Bilstein 5100 l 245/70/17 Firestone M/Ts l IRO A-Arm & CAs F & R l
post #10 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [peytonWJ
One of the guy's siggy's on that forum says he has a Superchips 3865. I'm assuming you have the 3875 Jeep specific one?
Yea I noticed that, but it seems to be the exact same issue I'm having. Yes I do have the 3875.

post #11 of 58 Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

I have a 2004 WJ with the 4.7 HO and i bought the Superchips Flashpaq 3875 about 6 months ago. In my own opinion, it has made the most difference in regards to power than any other mod i have done. I also had a Jet Chip, intake, and exhaust. The Performance 91 setting is really nice and I can feel a big difference past 3000 RPM.

I admit the amount of "tuning" you can do is limited. All i'm able to do is raise the speed limiter, rev limiter, idle control, and choose between performance, towing, MPG, etc. Can't really do anything to the transmission but i would think thats because of the Quadra-Drive system. However, by raising the rev limiter, the programmer automatically changes the way the transmission shifts at WOT in 1st and 2nd gear...much firmer

Anyway, i found it to be a worthwhile purchase and haven't had any problems with it..yet. The updating is a pain in the *** (as many people have said) but the increase in performance was worth it to me.

2004 WJ Overland 4.7HO Graphite 127k miles / Powerstick Muffler / Superchips / Bilstein HD's / Addco Rear Bar / SOLD!
1998 ZJ Limited 5.9 SOLD!
2010 WK Laredo 5.7
2002 WJ Overland 4.7HO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

I purchased a 3875 about 8 months ago for the performance improvement of MPG and miles per $. I had hoped to use 87 octane without pinging and reap the reward of more miles/$.

I got onto the Superchips forum and was directed into areas of custom tuning/removing degrees of timing etc which did seem to help the pinging for a short period. Then it returned as if the computer learned around it.

I have not been able yet to get the 4.7HO engine ('02) to run on 87 without the pinging. 89 works fine however and always did.

I had hoped to improve the miles per gallon also, and yet have to see any improvement in that either with the 87 Octane tune or with the MPG tune.

The ONE thing I like about it is resetting my speedo to match the slightly oversized tires. That was nice. STrangely the odometer is still about 2.5% off even though the speedo is balls-on. I don't understand that one at all.

My Overland is stock and all fluids are changed out to synthetic, all filters changed, plugs changed etc. Should be tuned and seeing relatively good mileage. Sadly I don't see any improvement at all and is slightly under that of others from what I hear (sure all locations/ elevations/ gasoline blends etc are different!).

I get 14mpg around town usually and 20mpg on the highway last time I took it on a trip.

I replaced all four O2 sensors just two weeks ago and hope to see a difference with that as well but so far... NADA. (No codes, just figured they were past their expected lifetime at 120k miles).

If I had to do it over again I would not have purchased it as I could have gotten my computer reflashed for larger tires at Jeep for half the cost.

I haven't tried the horsepower improvement capabilities of the 3875, as that is not what i am interested in for this vehicle. I have another for that area.

Overall... save your money is my advice so far.

Chris
'02 Overland 190k+ miles. 2.5" lift w/springs. All Control Arms upgraded, dual Addco sways.
post #13 of 58 Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
smunns
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my Superchips tuner for speedometer recalibration and a little more power. It has done a great job on both of those, and I gained around 2mpg. Data acquisition will not work on mine as I have the older computer in my '04 WJ that is not compatible with the Superchip's data acquisition. (JTEC, I believe.)

post #14 of 58 Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

They have always had complaints about the computer end of their programmers (update interface). As far as the tuners go, it made a night/day difference on my Hemi truck - especially after adding the optional transmission tunes. I've adjusted my shift points pretty aggressively and cut out 88% or torque management and despite weighing in at 7000 lbs, my truck will snap your head back when you give it just marginal throttle.

On my Overland (4.7 HO) their tuner doesn't seem to make near the difference. I can feel some gains, but nothing to really write home about...

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Old Man Emu HD coils, 265/65/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Warn M8000, home made light bar, Cepek 130 watt lights, Hella 500s

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
post #15 of 58 Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
cruzer23
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47 View Post
I have a 2004 WJ with the 4.7 HO and i bought the Superchips Flashpaq 3875 about 6 months ago. In my own opinion, it has made the most difference in regards to power than any other mod i have done. I also had a Jet Chip, intake, and exhaust. The Performance 91 setting is really nice and I can feel a big difference past 3000 RPM.

I admit the amount of "tuning" you can do is limited. All i'm able to do is raise the speed limiter, rev limiter, idle control, and choose between performance, towing, MPG, etc. Can't really do anything to the transmission but i would think thats because of the Quadra-Drive system. However, by raising the rev limiter, the programmer automatically changes the way the transmission shifts at WOT in 1st and 2nd gear...much firmer

Anyway, i found it to be a worthwhile purchase and haven't had any problems with it..yet. The updating is a pain in the *** (as many people have said) but the increase in performance was worth it to me.
u can buy a transmission tuner that u download to the tuner, its like $40 extra

to the OP i dont have one of these, but i emailed them a lot about it and they said it takes a good # of miles before you will see the difference. it has to get it all working with the computer.

how many miles have u ran with it installed on 1 tune?

also are u mostly complaining about the software and connecting to pc and not for sure on its actual performance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.