Left turn signal problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Left turn signal problem

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Left turn signal problem

The left turn signal isn't working 95% of the time in my wife's 02 WJ. I swapped in a new turn signal switch and nothing changed. I'm guessing it's just a relay... What do you guys think?

That would be easy enough to test if I knew where the relay was located. I didn't see it in the fuse panel. Where is it? And is there anything else to check?

TIA

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Mattyjm
2000 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...guide-1167239/

This is quite a common problem. The relay is behind the trim and at the top of your fuse panel on the driver's side. Hope this helps!
Mattyjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
JAG63
2002 WJ 

I lost both my left and right signal lights. It turned out to be something in my 4 way flasher switch. I turned it on and off a few times and it was all fixed. Any chance this helps your problem?
JAG63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
drpaul311
1999 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG63 View Post
I lost both my left and right signal lights. It turned out to be something in my 4 way flasher switch. I turned it on and off a few times and it was all fixed. Any chance this helps your problem?
my wj recently started this exact issue with the left turn signal. interestingly enough, some times turning on the emergency flashers and then turning on the blinker will make it work, but not so much as of late however.

if this is such a common problem, what is the cause?
drpaul311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
JAG63
2002 WJ 

I was thinking dust or even moisture was getting into the emergency flasher switch and make it go in an in between mode stopping the turn signals from working. I have had this happen on other kinds of cars in the past
Unread 12-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
cpaulsen
2002 WJ 

Mine did that also.....replaced the combo flasher at the top of the fuse panel. Everything worked.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post

This is quite a common problem. The relay is behind the trim and at the top of your fuse panel on the driver's side. Hope this helps!
In the past this has worked for me and saved $$$
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
sdarc
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF View Post
In the past this has worked for me and saved $$$
Me too... hardest part was getting the relay back in.
sdarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
JAG63
2002 WJ 

OK I spoke too soon. I lost my signal lights again today. Playing with the emergency flasher switch did not magically solve my problem. It looks like the previous owner used lots of armorall on the dash and steering. I was thinking maybe that got into the contacts on the switch? Any other thoughts?
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
JAG63
2002 WJ 

Anyone have the part number of the flasher so I can pick one up before taking the old one out? Thanks
Unread 12-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
JAG63
2002 WJ 

im not paying $80 for a relay so heres the answer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCPHCczh34
Unread 12-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #12
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG63
im not paying $80 for a relay so heres the answer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCPHCczh34
The ONLY way to repair this common problem is to pull the relay and resoldier the terminals . Easy , straight forward repair .

Or you can spring for a new relay .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
cpaulsen
2002 WJ 

Got mine at NAPA and it was 49.00 and in stock. I did not attempt to fix my old one as it is a pain to get it back in.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
JAG63
2002 WJ 

i ended up going to advanced auto parts because NAPA was closed already and i had no turn signals so i had to pay $62
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post

Yep. That solved it. Just needed a 10 second solder job. It didn't even look like the solder had gone bad but I decided to give it a touch with the soldering iron just in case. Now it works fine!

Thanks

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.