Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Left Turn Noise

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Drafter75 
#1 ·
I have a noise in my 99 GCLTD V8 Quadradrive everytime I make a left turn. It sounds like a rubbing sound, but it has stock sized tires and they are not the culprit. It almost appears to have something to do with the all wheel drive system on dry pavement, but I don't think it's normal. Other than that, it drives great. Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 ·
My 98 ZJ did a similar thing. It sounded like it was grinding (and bucked and whined) when turning tightly. The problem was the "viscous coupler" that transfers power back and forth from the front to rear tires. Once it was replaced, the beast drove quietly again! I think it cost (my extended warranty :) ) around 1000 bucks (CDN).

:)

Drinky

#3 ·
99JGCLTD... your dealer is well aware of this problem and he has the TSB's for it. See them and have them show this/explain it to you. Unfortunately, this is not a cheap repair.

This was a problem on early production 99's built prior to 4-99. They also had a problem with the factory installing the wrong fluid/oil in the differentials and transfer case in this same time period.

Yes, it could still be a viscous coupler problem. These symptoms were an indicator of that on the earlier JGC's. It may or may not be the cause on your 99, but the dealer has the TSB's and fix for this. Whether DC stands behind the repair cost remains to be seen as I assume there's some time/mileage on the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.