LED conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > LED conversion

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

Wj LED conversion

Okay I know I am going to get flamed for this but here we go. I'm looking to convert my dash lights to LED and all I want to know is how many lights are behind my dash that I'll have to replace to have a blue backlight.

I have searched and apparently I am not very good at it.

Thank you.

adolphhipster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Go to www.wjjeeps.com and look to change bulbs,it will show you the layout,might help you.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

Yeah i was looking on there but it says 103 for backlighting. I've heard people say to use 74 because it fits everything. also i guess I am missing it but I also would like to know how many lights to replace
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

By looking at the picture of the cluster it looks like just 5 but like i asked is it 74 or does it have to be 103?
Unread 09-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
walter_dh
2003 WJ 

WJ LED upgrade, me too

Good day :-)

I spent some hours to understand how to upgrade my 2003 WG lights to LED, and I am about to buy a bunch of LEDs on Amazon.
Basically, I want to replace the following lights:
-- front parking/DRL
-- licence plate
-- third stop
-- dome/map lights
-- handles/passengers light
-- cargo area
-- glovebox
-- Courtesy Under dash

In my undesrtanding, I need just two kinds of LED sockets: T10 or w5w and 212-214 or T3 types.

So I chose these LEDS for the parking lights (My WJ has HID low beam installed)

These LEDS will be used for handles/cargo lights

And these generic T10 for all the other interior lights, licence plate and third stop

Am I doing it right?

Regards
walter_dh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
00g_rokee
2000 WJ 

Let us know how it goes I am interested in this too @ Walter_dh
00g_rokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
walter_dh
2003 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00g_rokee View Post
Let us know how it goes I am interested in this too @ Walter_dh
Sure I will.
The weird thing is that I was unable to find a *complete* tutorial to upgrade alle the stock bulbs to LEDS. I mean, there are several posts where WJ owners show how they replaced this or that light; some smart and expert guys replaced all the dashboard/gauge lights, which is a very difficult work.
But I couldn't find a definitive guide to complete this operation, with the list of all the necessary parts.
Additionally, automotive light bulbs have so many different codes, part numbers, specifications, socket types, size etc. that I still have some doubt: will the LED I am going to buy actually fit all my Jeep bulb sockets?

Well, I'll try to take pictures while doing the job

Regards
Unread 09-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Hierotochan
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolphhipster View Post
Yeah i was looking on there but it says 103 for backlighting. I've heard people say to use 74 because it fits everything. also i guess I am missing it but I also would like to know how many lights to replace
If it's just the backlight on a non-EL dash then you'll only need 5x T5 single SMD LED bulbs. You can also use this size/shape to replace the other dash indicator bulbs, as some of mine were missing/never installed. I ordered 20 on eBay & they came with the plastic holders you'll need to screw them in with.
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
walter_dh
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierotochan View Post
If it's just the backlight on a non-EL dash then you'll only need 5x T5 single SMD LED bulbs. You can also use this size/shape to replace the other dash indicator bulbs, as some of mine were missing/never installed. I ordered 20 on eBay & they came with the plastic holders you'll need to screw them in with.
Hi.
As written in my previous post, I'm planning to replace most interior and exterior bulbs (parking lights, dome, cargo, licence plate) but I will not replace anything behind the dash :-)
regards
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
logisticalstyle
1999 WJ 

I just replaced my dash lights with "super white" LEDs and I didn't get the desired results. Although the lights are white my dash is now blue, which I don't mind at all but they are not very bight. My fuel gauge and temperature gauge are no longer illuminated and the gauges on the top left and right are barely illuminated. My speedometer and tachometer are illuminated but not "Super bright" as advertised. I used Mini Wedge T5 Round LED bulbs purchased from www.ledlight.com. I replaced all 5 bulbs at once and made sure they were installed correctly.
I also purchased some T10 Wedge 1 LED Short Round to replace my lights on the overhead info display. I didn't get a chance to change them yet but hopefully they will give better results since these are twice as big as the T5.

I do have a question though. How do I remove the AC/Heat controls and the gear selector so I can replace those lights as well? My gear selector lights are going in and out and the AC/Heat control panel is pretty dim. I tried to pry off the control panel but I didn't get anywhere with that. I stopped because I didn't want to crack anything. Does anyone have experience replacing those lights?

Thanks in advance.
logisticalstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Have a look at this thread. I imagine it will help with your questions: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-mods-2006929/
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
logisticalstyle
1999 WJ 

Thanks Chris. That's exactly what I needed.
logisticalstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
Locutus
1999 WJ 

I would not trust they guy that wrote that thread
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
joe12473
2002 WJ 

A good note about your instrument panel lights... they are polar. I changed mine out today and need to turn 4 of the 5 bulbs 180 degrees, because the LED's I bought said they only work one way. Hope this helps!
joe12473 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
walter_dh
2003 WJ 

Hi guys
so yesterday I recevied my order containing a bunch of LED lamps and started to replace them.
Basically, most of them are T10 socket LEDs, like these
I replaced the following lights: handlebars, cargo area, courtesy (under dash , where you rest your feet), plate, third brake light. The only wrong light I bought is the cargo area: mine is too short (41mm), I need a longer one. I still have to replace the dome/ map lights, but the hard work will be removing the front lights to replace the parking lights.
Regarding the power.... well, the T10 socket LEDs are quite effective, even though their power decreases once covered with the plastic lens (which is not 100% transparent).
These bulbs , well... if you have the chance, make sure to choose a more powerful model. The lights I bought are less powerful than I was expecting.

Anyway, so fa the overall result is quite good. I like the white light , looks better than the old style yellow light.

Regards

w

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.