Leaking Oil Around my Oil Filter, Loosing A lot of Oil - Bad Pressure Sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leaking Oil Around my Oil Filter, Loosing A lot of Oil - Bad Pressure Sensor?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
webby88
2000 WJ 

Exclamation Leaking Oil Around my Oil Filter, Loosing A lot of Oil - Bad Pressure Sensor?

So I have been noticing a lot oil on my power steering hose, oil filter, trackbar and tierod adjustment bar. It seems to be coming from the oil filter, but do my own oil changes and I know it cant possibly be coming from there (I oil the rubber gasket and close it tight).

So I have been doing some research and found that the Oil Pressure Sensor sits above the oil filter and after some time will fail and loose oil.

Here's the problem, the gauge is working fine, and since my last oil change I noted that in 700 miles (give or take) I lost at least a quart of oil.

Now my Jeep (with the 4.7) has over 190,xxx miles and I have been using Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 in my last 3 oil changes along with the big Pulator (pl3001 i think) filter. I do not blow white/blue smoke and the engine is running pretty solid for a dub with this many miles. Also, I do not see any oil puddling under my Jeep.

I also checked my power steering situation and it does not seem to be loosing any fluid, so I am pretty sure my high pressure lines are not leaking.

Here is a photo of the underside of the engine - and you can see oil wetness all over the place.

My question is, can all this be coming out of a leaky Presure Sensor?

oil.jpg

oil1.jpg

Unread 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

One possibility that I have experienced is a small leak in the filter at the seam which seals the cylindrical part to the cap. I believe it's an uncommon occurrence but easy to check if you clean all the oil off the filter and run the engine a few minutes. Look to see if there is oil on the filter. BTW, it was a Mopar branded filter purchased at Walmart.
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
wsar10
2003 WJ 

That P.P. will definitely find your leaks for ya ! Thats a very good oil.

Maybe you possibly left the old O.F. gasket on the filter mounting surface and did not realize it ??

At any rate you need to get under there and spray some parts cleaner around than warm up the motor to see WHERE it is actually coming from.

Your oil PSI sensor can fail in different ways, physically and functionally, I have had them break but still work for the most part but read a bit low, and I have had them fail and quit reading all together (thats a scary site, look down and your oil PSI is 0 )

but like I said you have to clean that **** up before anything !

I would be shooting that oil pan with some type of coating to prevent further rust while your under there.......

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
new2site
2002 WJ 

I had a oil filter rubber seal completely fail and all my oil gush out on different vehicle...it can happen. Grab up a new filter - $5 (and a quart)
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
One possibility that I have experienced is a small leak in the filter at the seam which seals the cylindrical part to the cap. I believe it's an uncommon occurrence but easy to check if you clean all the oil off the filter and run the engine a few minutes. Look to see if there is oil on the filter. BTW, it was a Mopar branded filter purchased at Walmart.
This is after my second oil change using this particular filter. I am pretty positive that this is not the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
That P.P. will definitely find your leaks for ya ! Thats a very good oil.

Maybe you possibly left the old O.F. gasket on the filter mounting surface and did not realize it ??

At any rate you need to get under there and spray some parts cleaner around than warm up the motor to see WHERE it is actually coming from.

Your oil PSI sensor can fail in different ways, physically and functionally, I have had them break but still work for the most part but read a bit low, and I have had them fail and quit reading all together (thats a scary site, look down and your oil PSI is 0 )

but like I said you have to clean that **** up before anything !

I would be shooting that oil pan with some type of coating to prevent further rust while your under there.......
Not sure if your being sarcastic about the type of oil I'm using... When I did my last oil change I visually inspected the OF seat before I put the new one on, so it cant be the issue.

Ill get a good degreasear and clean it up a bit, problem is that I work on the ground and it is pretty hard to it without getting a face-full of the stuff... If only I had a lift

I guess what I was wondering is if you can loose as much oil as I am from a leaky OPS.

What would you recommend for cleaning and spraying the oil pan with?
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby88 View Post
This is after my second oil change using this particular filter. I am pretty positive that this is not the cause.

Not sure if your being sarcastic about the type of oil I'm using... When I did my last oil change I visually inspected the OF seat before I put the new one on, so it cant be the issue.

Ill get a good degreasear and clean it up a bit, problem is that I work on the ground and it is pretty hard to it without getting a face-full of the stuff... If only I had a lift

I guess what I was wondering is if you can loose as much oil as I am from a leaky OPS.

What would you recommend for cleaning and spraying the oil pan with?

No not being sarcastic at all, its a full syn oil so it will seek any leaks you have (via cleansing) and Pennzoil is a VERY VERY good passenger car motor oil.

run it up on ramps, or jack the front up with a jack.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Replacing the OPS is what fixed my leak from that area. Had the exact same issue, usually noticed a drip within a couple of days of changing the oil.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Grammys 04 limited does this. I need to check the oil pressure sensor too. It is the only thing that makes sense for the drip off the filter.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
webby88
2000 WJ 

I ordered a new (Moper) sensor, will report back what the results are...
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
paulisthewalrus
2012 WK 

Just curious as to whether this resolved your issue. Looking at threads, because I appear to have the same issue. Replaced the OPS with one from Advance, but still have the leak - wondering if I should try MOPAR.
paulisthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulisthewalrus
Just curious as to whether this resolved your issue. Looking at threads, because I appear to have the same issue. Replaced the OPS with one from Advance, but still have the leak - wondering if I should try MOPAR.
My leak ended up being from powersteering fluid.

Look up and see of the bottom of pump or tank is wet.

I have a thread started for mine
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I will bet the cause to be some type of contaminant on the mating surface preventing a good seal for the filter gasket or a gasket failure.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
paulisthewalrus
2012 WK 

86cj74.2L - I have already read your thread. My Jeep had 2 leaks intially - and I replaced the high pressure power steering fluid line (fluid leaking from the connections at the bottom of the hose) - now I just have the one leak remaining, which is rolling off the bottom of the oil filter. It appears to be coming from above the filter, and leaking down. I understand WJ's all have issues with the OPS at some point in time. The motor is a aftermarket that I had installed back in April. Not much of a leak, but a leak nonetheless. Wondering if it might be a oil galley plug that wasnt sealed properly - as the leak appears to be there, or the OPS.
paulisthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If the bottom of the PS pump tank is dry yes. Motor oil from somewhere.

Have you been monitoring the PS fluid level to see if level is changing?

Most people don't look at PS fluid level until there is a problem. Then its too late.
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but the threaded part the filter screws onto can eventually leak and is replaceable. My buddy had to do it on his XJ. There is a huge nut at the base of the filter threads, that is how it comes off. But the sensor would be a more likely culprit IMO.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.