Leaking coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leaking coolant

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
LI_DSM

Leaking coolant

Today I came out during my lunch break and look underneath the Jeep and see a small puddle of coolant. I got under the car and it's right where the lower rad hose goes into the thermostat housing. It is dry around the rest of the hose and just appears to be leaking at the bottom part. When the car is running it is a constant drop every 2-3 seconds. I'm not sure if I should just replace the lower radiator hose or if this is most likely a case of the water pump about to fail and leaking through the weephole? As I said before, I could not see any coolant anywhere other than the bottom half of the lower rad hose but I'm not sure if this is a common problem. It's a 2002 4.7HO btw.

Thanks!

LI_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

If you can't see coolant from the weep hole, I would assume its not the pump. How many miles are on it? It could be a thermostat housing leaking if the gasket is bad. Or even the hose is not clamped tight enough. It's best to find the origin of the leak for sure before just doing a hose because you could waste a good amount of money on coolant
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
LI_DSM

I ended up replacing the the radiator, cap, and both lower and upper radiator hoses and all new coolant. I wanted to just get it all done and have peace of mind. Do not want to risk overheating a 4.7
LI_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.