Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Leak around oil filter

900 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  86cj74.2L 
#1 ·
It appears there is a small but persistent leak around every oil filter I install. I use Wix. Regardless of how tight I make the filter. Is that possible? I can't see where the leak is. There always seems to be a drop of oil running down the side of the filter. And the area is wet with oil. Not a big leak. It's not dripping on to the driveway or anything. I am trying to figure it out so if it is something that can potentially get worse, I can catch it before it does. I just assumed it was the filter gasket or mounting surface. Stock 4.7. My bad for not mentioning it or filling out profile.Thanks

#6 ·
Ya. I think your on to something. I can't see where it is coming from as it is likely blowing around, but there is fluid or oil around the pump hose also. Initially I thought it may be that but the hose looks to be good. Would it be leaking from the threads?

#7 ·
blueseasons1 said:
Ya. I think your on to something. I can't see where it is coming from as it is likely blowing around, but there is fluid or oil around the pump hose also. Initially I thought it may be that but the hose looks to be good. Would it be leaking from the threads?
mine leaked from the crimp.

Edit: if you search threads I started I think I have a picture of the PS fluid pooling in the crimp edge when it got bad enough to see it.

#10 ·
Question. I am trying to find the right MOPAR hose. It appears the parts numbers are lumped together for 99-2004. On Ebay, it initially list all years. Then when you go to that site, it omits the 99 and 2000. It looks like the 02-04 is also used on later years as well. Is it the same hose for all years as it looks? Shouldn't the 99-2000 be different than the 01-04? I tried Just Jeeps but that Chat on line thing failed during the middle of it. I tried again with no response.

#11 ·
blueseasons1 said:
Question. I am trying to find the right MOPAR hose. It appears the parts numbers are lumped together for 99-2004. On Ebay, it initially list all years. Then when you go to that site, it omits the 99 and 2000. It looks like the 02-04 is also used on later years as well. Is it the same hose for all years as it looks? Shouldn't the 99-2000 be different than the 01-04? I tried Just Jeeps but that Chat on line thing failed during the middle of it. I tried again with no response.
01-04 should be the same. And the line is upgraded from the original. I paid 54 at the dealer for the two I bought. (1 for me and one for Grammy). By now it's going to run about 100 dollars. If you have the cash get it from the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.