Last problem to fix---- The Idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Last problem to fix---- The Idle

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 11-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
cmberges

Last problem to fix---- The Idle

The old post was getting long so I'll start a new one about the new problem.

For a quick refresher, I have changed almost every sensor and new PCM and now have a idle issue. (Link to org. post--http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-dies-1570379/)

Installed a new TPS (only part I didn't change)(mopar) and still idling high. In the morning it starts and idles fine. Drive down the street and hit the stop sign, idles at about 1k. Go to park at work and you can hear the tranny clunking because its reving high. Any other options?????

PCM need reprogrammed again? No check engine light either. I aslo had it running and unplugged the IAC and that did nothing (I would think it would make it run worse doing that but nothing happened).

If the damn thing would just idle right it would be the perfect vehicle...... But all the parts are under warranty so suggestions on what to try next?

cmberges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
cmberges

So a code final came up P1294. Remember everything is new so is it possibly a bad IAr (IAC, whatever)?
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
cmberges

So unplugged the map sensor and it idled up then back down after it was plugged back in. I'm runnin out of ideas.
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Start simple, make sure the computer has the correct parameters learned. Disconnect the battery to reset the computer, then when you go to start the Jeep, turn the key to on (not start) for three seconds to prime fuel pressure, then turn it over to start. If you have erratic idle after that, there's a malfunctioning sensor or you may have a vacuum leak somewhere. If possible, get a scanner on it with live engine data to look for abnormal fluctuations in sensors. Throttle position sensor should read about 15-17% at closed throttle; if it fluctuates even slightly when you're not moving the gas pedal, it's a bad TPS. Same goes if there are any dead/irregular spots when slowly moving the pedal from closed to WOT.

This is usually caused by a bad TPS or IAC, but a junkyard/reman PCM could easily be the culprit.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
cmberges

Did all that stuff a few times and no luck. Checked for leaks today and found 0. Also the TPS is brnad new and mopar so all I can think is the IAC or PCM.

I might just get another new IAC tomorrow just to check.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
drmadcat
2002 WJ 

How bad is the idle mine jumps around a bit.
drmadcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
cmberges

About 1g in gear and then clunks out of gear to park then it's at 15-1700. It starts out fine in the morning then get bad after a mile or 2. What gets me is now there is no more code and it started idling fine yesterday afternoon. Then this am is was crappy again. I'm freakin lost.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
new2site
2002 WJ 

Maybe you have a faulty/sporadic temperature sending unit... found this info:

The idle control is activated by the temperature sender unit. It sounds as though yours is giving a cold signal to the computer and it pushes up the idle speed to compensate as if it has just started.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
cmberges

Just put a new iac in and so far so good. I update 1 final time if that does the trick............God I hope so.............
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
cmberges

Well that lasted about an hour. Back to being jacked up again. How can it run so normal and then restart it later and back to running like crap.
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmberges View Post
Well that lasted about an hour. Back to being jacked up again. How can it run so normal and then restart it later and back to running like crap.
I'm not sure what the spec is, but you likely need to check the resistance between the PCM and the TPS/IAC. Someone with the FSM can post up the pinouts and resistance specs. You may have a poor/intermittent connection to one of those sensors.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
cmberges

I hope some does have that info. And how to check it would be sweet. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.