KOR Bushings worn after 4 months - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
rchavis
2004 WJ 

KOR Bushings worn after 4 months

Installed my JKS trackbar in April with the KOR bushings. After 4 months bushings are shot. What would cause this?

2004 JGC Freedom Edition 4.0 Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 2.5 BB lift, JK Trackbar, RC Adjustable Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar. KOR Extended links, 245/70/17 Cooper AT3s, Amsoil.
2008 JGC Limited HEMI Stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
did you torque the bolts down with the jeeps weight on the ground?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
Installed my JKS trackbar in April with the KOR bushings. After 4 months bushings are shot. What would cause this?
Picture of the bushings please

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer

post #4 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
rchavis
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Was Installed by a local Off road shop. Don't know if they torque the bolts down with the jeeps weight on the ground.

2004 JGC Freedom Edition 4.0 Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 2.5 BB lift, JK Trackbar, RC Adjustable Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar. KOR Extended links, 245/70/17 Cooper AT3s, Amsoil.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
rchavis
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
Picture of the bushings please
It's at another shop now. Original shop said they were too backed up to see me when I called about me just now starting to get DW. Have to order the entire trackbar to get the bushings, seems Washington state don't stock parts. I leave Friday night on a trip.

post #6 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchavis View Post

It's at another shop now. Original shop said they were too backed up to see me when I called about me just now starting to get DW. Have to order the entire trackbar to get the bushings, seems Washington state don't stock parts. I leave Friday night on a trip.
HarryH3 and Jeeples said 2nd gen Dodge 2500 and 3500 bushings work. Might want to try those

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #7 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM
GhostJeepWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Whats correct way? With or without weight?
I am thinking with the Jeeps weight.....correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission!!

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
2" IRO Spring Lift w/Bilstein 5100s 245/75/R17 Goodyear Armour Shield

post #8 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Worn how?

I have a set of KOR bushings in a JKS bar that are going on 6 years of use right now without any issues.

Were the bushings lubricated upon install? The KOR bushings are very stiff and won't wear like a typical urethane or rubber bushing, ie; tearing or turning mushy. I suspect they would wear more like a set of brake pads, where friction slowly causes material to be removed from the contact points on the bushing.

Lack of lubrication will speed this process up, however to wear them to this point in 4 months seems highly unlikely.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 PM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I agree, if you get the KOR hard bushings, you can't really wear them out. They are very very hard.

Brian's Black Betty Build:
post #10 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Did you actually see that the bushings were bad or were you told they were bad?

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 05:13 PM
RoccoRacer
2001 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Worn how?

I have a set of KOR bushings in a JKS bar that are going on 6 years of use right now without any issues.
What do you lubricate yours with? How often?
I have a set that I haven't installed yet.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, "Chewbacca"
post #12 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
rchavis
2004 WJ 

Sorry didn't respond sooner, getting ready to take my daughter to college. Yes I was shown the trackbar moving and the bushings flexing, Didn't think poly would do that. The shop which originally install them did use the wrong grease at 1st. Took about a mouth to get in to have them redo the grease. During that time I was getting a rubbing noise. After they re grease them with the proper grease the noise went away, drove like a dream. Tires brand new. Driven on hwy as DD since. No off raid at all. A week ago I was on the interstate and hit a rut in the road and DW started. Called the original shop and they told me that they were too backed up to get me in to check. Told me maybe September. Daughter will be using the jeep in another state, So went to the shop it's at now. Took him 20 secs to diagnose the problem and called me into the shop with vehicle on lift and showed me the movement.
Can't get the bushings till Monday, Had to order a new trackbar so that we can leave on Saturday for the trip to her college.
I will be going to the shop he morning, will get pictures then. Other then that I' don't know what the say.

post #13 of 21 Old 08-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoRacer View Post
What do you lubricate yours with? How often?
I have a set that I haven't installed yet.
Napa Sil-Glyde.

I cut some grease grooves into them and lube them up once a year, prior to that modification to the bushing I was lubing them up twice a year or once they starting squeaking incessantly, which ever came first.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
rchavis
2004 WJ 

Update

Ok so the shop change out the JKS track bar. The bushings were in fact cracked. Suspect due to the wrong grease that was used. Will deal with that later with the original installation shop. But the DW is worst. They checked and recheck everything and could not fine a problem. The shop manager called Discount tire to get me in for a re-balance of the tires, it was late friday and they were booked solid. However the manager at Discount tire was great. He said that the weight for the right side was off an ounce. Okay, I'mthing great problem solved. Did not have a chance to test prior to the start of the trip because as luck would have it, all roads in my area were pack with traffic. Could not get over 40 MPH.
Now the test. Started the trip, my daughter is driving. As soon as we hit 60 MPH, DW. So since we were driving 2 cars to Montana from Seattle. I drove the car with the DW and she drove the other. What appeared as DW, but more of just an out of balance tire occurred anytime we hit the slightest rut in the road. I just dealt with it. Oddly it seem to go away once we entered Montana and the outside temp was 90 degrees, So seems that it just might be bad tires which I also bought in April. Can't contact Discount tire because there are no Discount tire stores in Montana.
I still think that there is something in the front suspension causing this. I suspect the control arms. The original shop installed upper and lower control arms from Rough Country, But when I checked, I could not find a set of upper control arms for the WJ, only the lower control arms. So what upper arms did they installed?

I will probably get a set of these https://core4x4.lunasoft.com/core4x4...l-arm-set-4.ph
and see if there is a difference.

I'll update when I can.

Any other thoughts?

post #15 of 21 Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Kolak
Vendor

So is the trackbar tight now or still moving around? Could be the bolt holes are wallowed out. This is becoming a common problem with the WJ.

What steering stabilizer shock are you running?

How many miles are on your WJ?
WJeepster likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.