JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   KOR bushing install? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/kor-bushing-install-1523689/)

brianestep 05-15-2013 01:15 PM

KOR bushing install?

Am I stupid, or is there a trick to installing the KOR bushings in the JKS trackbar? I cannot press them in any further than about halfway. I greased them like a maniac and have been pressing/ hammering etc. I dont want to mar them too bad... I also cannot get them out... how does everyone remove them to re-grease? Screwdriver prying is gouging a little... I feel dumb...

WJChris 05-15-2013 02:12 PM

socket, 2x4 and a hammer. A vice would be better.
Once sleeve is removed, try going in at a slight angle and tapping out one side. after that use a large socket to press out remaining bushing.

I tapped mine for a zirc fitting to re-grease without removal. WARNING: too much grease will deform the bushing and cause it to wear out prematurely. Mine did. File some passageways for the grease to get in to the bushing and relieve the pressure and you should be golden.

brianestep 05-15-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJChris (Post 15436473)
socket, 2x4 and a hammer. A vice would be better.
Once sleeve is removed, try going in at a slight angle and tapping out one side. after that use a large socket to press out remaining bushing.

I tapped mine for a zirc fitting to re-grease without removal. WARNING: too much grease will deform the bushing and cause it to wear out prematurely. Mine did. File some passageways for the grease to get in to the bushing and relieve the pressure and you should be golden.

Nice... yea I just found a 2x4 in the garage so I'm doing that now... I am also planning on tapping for zerk, but that will be later. Need to make it driveable first:thumbsup:

CrazyWalnut13 05-15-2013 03:53 PM

I had to take mine to work to use the 20ton press. I was unable to get them in with either a BFH or my vice.

brianestep 05-15-2013 04:05 PM

I don't know if you guys tried this, but it was way easier pushing the bushings in first and then tapping the sleeve through the middle... Like WJChris kinda said... Too much pressure to do one bushing with the sleeve and then the other bushing.

wschilawski 07-16-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianestep (Post 15436545)
Nice... yea I just found a 2x4 in the garage so I'm doing that now... I am also planning on tapping for zerk, but that will be later. Need to make it driveable first:thumbsup:

did you ever end up putting zerks in? I've been thinking about doing the same because of the crazy creaks and squeaks I get.

Jeeples 07-16-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wschilawski (Post 15683673)

did you ever end up putting zerks in? I've been thinking about doing the same because of the crazy creaks and squeaks I get.

Go to Napa and buy a tube of Sil-Glyde. It's a silicone based lubricant that's safe for urethane and rubber. Take your bushings apart and line them and the track bar eyelets up real well and you'll be good to go.

TheBoss 07-16-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeples (Post 15685174)

Go to Napa and buy a tube of Sil-Glyde. It's a silicone based lubricant that's safe for urethane and rubber. Take your bushings apart and line them and the track bar eyelets up real well and you'll be good to go.

I'll have to try this on my Zone swaybar links. They get a bit chatty in the colder months.

Merc1973 07-17-2013 10:54 AM

Mine went in VERY easily, i installed bushings then the sleeve... strange. I may have used a little lithium grease to ease the installation.

brianestep 07-20-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wschilawski (Post 15683673)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeples (Post 15685174)

Yea SilGlyde for sure. Sprayed em down with it on install, thinking I'd probably end up having to zerk them later, but all is quiet so far. Plus it's so much less messy than blasting them full of grease gun lube.

The time now is 06:29 PM.