Knocking Sound After Seafoaming - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Knocking Sound After Seafoaming

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #91
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Yikes.......... I worked for GO Jeep on south broadway and go Jeep West in Golden aka John Elway Aka Autonation.

WJEEPSMASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #92
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

All I was originally stating was dealer's have a horrible status for ripping people off. Yes there are some that are honest but these days they are few and far between.

I was a vary happy person when Chrysler came through and had taken dealerships licence to sell there products. Most of the bad ones were closed but not all.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #93
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJEEPSMASS View Post
Yikes.......... I worked for GO Jeep on south broadway and go Jeep West in Golden aka John Elway Aka Autonation.
Ya those have traded a bunch of hands lol.

It's funny tho the rest of the dealer is great and wonderful, the wife or I walk in I'm always greeted told " HI Mr. And Mrs. (put name here). But when I deal with these problems I always get I'm sorry we'll take care of it, I'm just getting burnt out on having to go through the hassle. I always said its not northglen in the back of my head.

The wife was trying to surprise me by having it done before I had came back into town and having to do it my self.

Bitter but only person someone can trust these days seem to be there self.

If it wasn't for high priced shops JF wouldn't be here.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Unread 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #94
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

I can give you a guy name and number I know personally that works for Go Jeep West. Won't rip you off and will not say this needs to be done blah blah blah. It's always been autonation. They just used elways name for a few years and then changed to GO.. I am no longer in Denver I was there for 4 years I am back home in Mass otherwise I would tell you to come see me.. Northglenn... Well let's just say they are not good people... When you do a dealer trade with them and they stick dead fish under the carpet of a brand new wrangler cause they wanted to sell it and it messes up your sale.. That tells you the type of people they are.. And Stay Far away from Christopher Dodge... Biggest rip off in the state...
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #95
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
I can give you a guy name and number I know personally that works for Go Jeep West. Won't rip you off and will not say this needs to be done blah blah blah. It's always been autonation. They just used elways name for a few years and then changed to GO.. I am no longer in Denver I was there for 4 years I am back home in Mass otherwise I would tell you to come see me.. Northglenn... Well let's just say they are not good people... When you do a dealer trade with them and they stick dead fish under the carpet of a brand new wrangler cause they wanted to sell it and it messes up your sale.. That tells you the type of people they are.. And Stay Far away from Christopher Dodge... Biggest rip off in the state...
Northglenn was closed and bulldozed. I am 99% sure that if it was I and not my wife or a women for that, I wouldn't have even been told the lies. I had to applaud my wife and any other women that proves a place like that wrong.

Unread 02-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #96
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=shockracer;14910284]Wrong!

1st, I have worked at dealerships.

2nd, you said you get paid nothing for checking all the bogus issues yet a shop charges a diagnostic fee.

3rd, shops use unfair and pushed up labor books that are set by unions. Why do you think the manufacture does not pay for warranty work by the labor book but there own knowing time scale for the time the service takes.

You can try to suger coat it all you want, and I suggest that you don't tell people what they know or have done, there are people on here that have forgot more then you know.[/QUOTE

Being that you want to start throwing around insults..... You worked for a dealer for two years, then quit?
I doubt you quit....... Your productivity was probably below par and they let you go.
There are people here that have forgotten more that I'll ever know.
Possibly, but one of them is not you! Any time you wish to compare brain pans... Let me know.
I don't need some punk with two years dealer experience trying to call me out.
Like I said you can talk all you want... You are wrong! And just because you are posting up a couple of tsb's off of all-data doesn't mean crap.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #97
Wenatchee_Kid
2000 WJ 

Ahem. Where were we? I am against any knocking sound, personally...

It's grand that each of you has a supported perspective to share. No doubt. Might want to say it nicely, though.
I'm not taking sides, mind you, just sayin' IMO it's always nice to hear XYZ from any worker bee at a Jeep dealership.
But he might notice any line forming to abuse him, heh heh...

But feel free to continue about mechanics reputations and training. Is it felt the mechanics at these Jeep Dealerships are not effective, are not on the upper levels as auto mechanics go? I mean, who exactly is known-well-trained as to WJ quirks, like the few acceptable TC fluids, heater management, etc?

In other shops, is there a JEEP mechanics' certification considered industry standard or acceptable?
Which oil change franchises, if any, are Jeep-friendly?
Thanks.
Wenatchee_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #98
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

TO get back to the Knocking issue at hand here, Today I hooked my jeep to a scan tool ran a diag on it, and everything was going fine until I found a very intermittent misfire on cylinder #8. Now My Teacher was once a Chrysler master tech about 8 years ago a ton has changed, but he does and still does know the 4.7HO, So we at least have a starting point or something that needed to be addressed as well as the Knock. I believe and please do not hold me to this cause I have not made the call to my local dealer yet. But Jeep has a Carbon treatment that mopar make or whatever I have to get the detail as I do not know that will at least blast out a lot of built up carbon on the engine. now I know that I have the misfire, could be the coil, the plug whatever. That's tomorrow. I will call my dealer and verify if this "carbon" treatment is true.

And Dealer this local guy that... WHO CARES... A Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Dealer is more equipped at dealing with any issues that a Jeep may have just because all of these tech's have gone thru chrysler school. and Also need to be ASE certified and chrysler Certified. So knock who you want. A tech not a Mechanic because the industry has evolved and working on a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee for example, you basically need to be an electrician there are so many wires and wiring diagrams. I am trying to be that person not rip anyone off but to fix there vehicle that they depend on DAILY to get them around for a fraction of what it cost to buy it so Please Get off, of the whole mechanic/tech are a bunch of thieves cause they rip you off.

Last question who would you rather work on your car? A guy that is covered in oil and grease smoking a butt rag hanging out of his a$$ pocket shakes your hand and your now dirty as him and he charges less but does not have the tools or the Computer equipment to diag the Jeep Correctly, OR the clean Cut wearing a Certified Jeep Tech Shirt for XYZ dealer that has all of the equipment needed to fix it and fix it right the first time and that will warranty the fix for 12 month and 12,000 miles that goes over what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it that you may have to pay a little more for but you know it's fixed and if it's not fixed right you know you can go back and not have to worry about paying again since it's covered by a warranty??
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #99
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
TO get back to the Knocking issue at hand here, Today I hooked my jeep to a scan tool ran a diag on it, and everything was going fine until I found a very intermittent misfire on cylinder #8. Now My Teacher was once a Chrysler master tech about 8 years ago a ton has changed, but he does and still does know the 4.7HO, So we at least have a starting point or something that needed to be addressed as well as the Knock. I believe and please do not hold me to this cause I have not made the call to my local dealer yet. But Jeep has a Carbon treatment that mopar make or whatever I have to get the detail as I do not know that will at least blast out a lot of built up carbon on the engine. now I know that I have the misfire, could be the coil, the plug whatever. That's tomorrow. I will call my dealer and verify if this "carbon" treatment is true.

And Dealer this local guy that... WHO CARES... A Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Dealer is more equipped at dealing with any issues that a Jeep may have just because all of these tech's have gone thru chrysler school. and Also need to be ASE certified and chrysler Certified. So knock who you want. A tech not a Mechanic because the industry has evolved and working on a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee for example, you basically need to be an electrician there are so many wires and wiring diagrams. I am trying to be that person not rip anyone off but to fix there vehicle that they depend on DAILY to get them around for a fraction of what it cost to buy it so Please Get off, of the whole mechanic/tech are a bunch of thieves cause they rip you off.

Last question who would you rather work on your car? A guy that is covered in oil and grease smoking a butt rag hanging out of his a$$ pocket shakes your hand and your now dirty as him and he charges less but does not have the tools or the Computer equipment to diag the Jeep Correctly, OR the clean Cut wearing a Certified Jeep Tech Shirt for XYZ dealer that has all of the equipment needed to fix it and fix it right the first time and that will warranty the fix for 12 month and 12,000 miles that goes over what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it that you may have to pay a little more for but you know it's fixed and if it's not fixed right you know you can go back and not have to worry about paying again since it's covered by a warranty??

couldn't have said it better myself.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #100
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post

couldn't have said it better myself.
Ok After about 2 hours at my local Jeep Dealer here in Massachusetts, Service manager is a friend of mine knows I am in Tech school to be a Tech for the Automotive industry, selling cars is not for me after 6 years of pain. I would rather work on them then sell them, ANYWAYS. My service manager has been at this Dealer for about 15 years give or take. I called him told him what I went over with a "generic" scan tool not chrysler's DRBIII scan tool. Now if I would have had a misfire and it would have been picked up in 3 drive cycle's, engine on and a code would have been produced by the PCM. Not the case with my Jeep. Also had me wait and had a tech that had been with this dealer, (that has been open since 1942 mind you) for 28 years and said that as that there is no Knock, the 2.7, 3.7 4.7 5.7 are loud might sound like it has a tick but it does not, came out with the DRBIII to confirm any codes.. NOTHING. Everything passed with flying colors. And to be honest I can post pics of my jeep of what it looks like to prove it the tech was blown away at the condition that it was in.

All he wanted me to do since it happens over time carbon builds up can't help it so Mopar sold me carbon combustion cleaner that you put down the throttle body. take off the resonator, run the engine till it's at operating temp (180 degrees's) Spray that whole bottle down the throttle keeping the throttle just above idle to prevent stalling. once i am done put everything back together make sure it's nice and tight. Let it sit in the hot engine for over an hour. Start it let it idle for 10 mins then drive it like you stole it, till the white smoke is gone. Those were the tech's words. I went to parts they charged me $3.93 for this 20oz can. So for 2 hours and a ton of knowledge learned from a very experienced tech (He had the chrysler plaques in his bay above his tool box to prove it to anyone that knows chrysler and there certification process, I have all of the sales ones to prove so if anyone is wondering.. )

So there is no knock, it's just the engine its is its design can't get around it. It drives like it just rolled off the showroom floor fast as hell! Anyways point being, went to a Jeep dealer paid 3 bucks for carbon cleaner... and 2 hours of a tech and service managers time, that I did not pay for and learned a lot in that time. So again would you go to your local guy who ya you may have been going to for years but say you bought a new car and he was not really familiar with the car or a dealer that is going to do it's best in a honest manner to fix it go over what the problem could be. or the local guy? no offense to the local shops but when it comes to having a problem where all of a sudden all of your dash lights come on and say see dealer. They have the tools to scan and fix the issue or the local guy who is just going to up plug the battery hoping that the long and short term memory of the PCM go away... older cars no problem, newer cars with trained chrysler Jeep certified techs. ASE tech's that work on Jeeps all day long. So stop hating on the dealers. Chrysler is really making a big push to make sure dealers are really customer focused in service and sales. so please do what you want this is my opinion do what you will don't flame me...

Thank you.
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #101
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Nice im glad you got it handled. Those motors are pretty noisy. Those DRBs are a pain to use nowadays huh, seems like you are back in the stone age. We all use WiTech now, its now mandatory to own a laptop for this. The 4.7s are good motors, just take care of it.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #102
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

This gives me hope for my own 4.7 start up knock/ticking. It's not that bad and it only lasts for maybe 15 seconds but it's still worrisome to hear, but I've read several different instances of what sounds almost exactly what mine is doing and almost all of them end up being either a broken manifold bolt or something similar or the result of this thread.

Next thing for me to do is get up underneath my WJ and check the exhaust manifold bolts and manifold itself for cracking.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #103
EmersonHart13

Noises seem to be really common on these motors, and usually it seems to be something that isn't going to cause it to blow up. I did my driver's side manifold gasket because I found a rounded off bolt. Noise is still there. Searched for the noise, pan is quiet, valve covers quiet down as they warm up. So it is either the passenger gasket or as a lot of people say, just the way these motors sound. My truck runs puurrrrfect, so who knows.
EmersonHart13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.