Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Knocking Sound After Seafoaming

9K views 102 replies 18 participants last post by  EmersonHart13 
#1 · (Edited)
Knocking Sound After Seafoaming/Vibrating at High Speeds

HI Fellow Jeepers!! First user for me I am new at this whole jeep forum thing so if this topic has been discussed I am sorry and would love the link to read about it.

So I have a buddy who used seafoam on his Jeep and he said it makes a world of difference. It runs better, better gas mileage and so on. So I look into it and ok not a bad Idea. So I do the bottle 1/3 in the brake booster, 1/3 on the oil, the rest in the gas tank... When I did mine after seeing everyone else do it I was expecting a TON of white smoke... I got a little blue smoke some white smoke but nothing to the effect of seafoams website, or you tube. Also after do this I noticed that all of a sudden my engine has a knocking noise coming from what I can tell the lower part of the engine as you really don't hear it standing over the top of the engine, but you can while in it and it's only at idle. Also my idle is a little jumpy between 5-700 RPM at idle in park. NO knocking when I accelerate or while stopped at a light in drive. Anyone ever come across this?

Info on Jeep 03 Overland 4.7 HO 65,000 miles on it. after I heard the noise I changed the oil has been synthetic since I've owned it now for 3 years whatever the dealers synthetic was then it switched to pennzoil ultra 10W-30. I saved a ton and started doing them myself as the dealer was charging me cheap like 39 for an oil change instead of the 80+ whatever it is.. But the guy who I knew quit... Anyways. any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Recent Service done by me: Replaced the High Pressure Power Steering Hose as it was leaking BAD. Changed the transfer case fluid (quadradrive NV247) and both front and rear Diff's by removing the covers and then cleaning it out and using the mopar suggested RTV.

I still get the binding noise on the transfer case when in tight turns is that something I can fix even tho I replaced the fluid or a new TC? and as far driving goes A LOT more smooth with new diff fluid and TC fluid. Just the binding noise on the tight turns and I know I am not supposed to be going this fast but sometimes I can't help it. at 85 MPH and above my car vibrates real bad at that cruising speed when I have my foot on the gas to maintain that speed I take it off. it goes away.

Next up is Spark plug change, but before I do I was wondering about the Knock. Sorry to ramble again I am a newbie I apologize if this has been covered before and i just didn't search long enough.

Thanks! :2thumbsup:

See less See more
#92 ·
All I was originally stating was dealer's have a horrible status for ripping people off. Yes there are some that are honest but these days they are few and far between.

I was a vary happy person when Chrysler came through and had taken dealerships licence to sell there products. Most of the bad ones were closed but not all.

#94 ·
I can give you a guy name and number I know personally that works for Go Jeep West. Won't rip you off and will not say this needs to be done blah blah blah. It's always been autonation. They just used elways name for a few years and then changed to GO.. I am no longer in Denver I was there for 4 years I am back home in Mass otherwise I would tell you to come see me.. Northglenn... Well let's just say they are not good people... When you do a dealer trade with them and they stick dead fish under the carpet of a brand new wrangler cause they wanted to sell it and it messes up your sale.. That tells you the type of people they are.. And Stay Far away from Christopher Dodge... Biggest rip off in the state...

#95 ·
Northglenn was closed and bulldozed. I am 99% sure that if it was I and not my wife or a women for that, I wouldn't have even been told the lies. I had to applaud my wife and any other women that proves a place like that wrong.

#97 ·
Ahem. Where were we? I am against any knocking sound, personally...

It's grand that each of you has a supported perspective to share. No doubt. Might want to say it nicely, though.
I'm not taking sides, mind you, just sayin' IMO it's always nice to hear XYZ from any worker bee at a Jeep dealership.
But he might notice any line forming to abuse him, heh heh...

But feel free to continue about mechanics reputations and training. Is it felt the mechanics at these Jeep Dealerships are not effective, are not on the upper levels as auto mechanics go? I mean, who exactly is known-well-trained as to WJ quirks, like the few acceptable TC fluids, heater management, etc?

In other shops, is there a JEEP mechanics' certification considered industry standard or acceptable?
Which oil change franchises, if any, are Jeep-friendly?
Thanks.

#98 ·
TO get back to the Knocking issue at hand here, Today I hooked my jeep to a scan tool ran a diag on it, and everything was going fine until I found a very intermittent misfire on cylinder #8. Now My Teacher was once a Chrysler master tech about 8 years ago a ton has changed, but he does and still does know the 4.7HO, So we at least have a starting point or something that needed to be addressed as well as the Knock. I believe and please do not hold me to this cause I have not made the call to my local dealer yet. But Jeep has a Carbon treatment that mopar make or whatever I have to get the detail as I do not know that will at least blast out a lot of built up carbon on the engine. now I know that I have the misfire, could be the coil, the plug whatever. That's tomorrow. I will call my dealer and verify if this "carbon" treatment is true.

And Dealer this local guy that... WHO CARES... A Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Dealer is more equipped at dealing with any issues that a Jeep may have just because all of these tech's have gone thru chrysler school. and Also need to be ASE certified and chrysler Certified. So knock who you want. A tech not a Mechanic because the industry has evolved and working on a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee for example, you basically need to be an electrician there are so many wires and wiring diagrams. I am trying to be that person not rip anyone off but to fix there vehicle that they depend on DAILY to get them around for a fraction of what it cost to buy it so Please Get off, of the whole mechanic/tech are a bunch of thieves cause they rip you off.

Last question who would you rather work on your car? A guy that is covered in oil and grease smoking a butt rag hanging out of his a$$ pocket shakes your hand and your now dirty as him and he charges less but does not have the tools or the Computer equipment to diag the Jeep Correctly, OR the clean Cut wearing a Certified Jeep Tech Shirt for XYZ dealer that has all of the equipment needed to fix it and fix it right the first time and that will warranty the fix for 12 month and 12,000 miles that goes over what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it that you may have to pay a little more for but you know it's fixed and if it's not fixed right you know you can go back and not have to worry about paying again since it's covered by a warranty??

#99 ·
TO get back to the Knocking issue at hand here, Today I hooked my jeep to a scan tool ran a diag on it, and everything was going fine until I found a very intermittent misfire on cylinder #8. Now My Teacher was once a Chrysler master tech about 8 years ago a ton has changed, but he does and still does know the 4.7HO, So we at least have a starting point or something that needed to be addressed as well as the Knock. I believe and please do not hold me to this cause I have not made the call to my local dealer yet. But Jeep has a Carbon treatment that mopar make or whatever I have to get the detail as I do not know that will at least blast out a lot of built up carbon on the engine. now I know that I have the misfire, could be the coil, the plug whatever. That's tomorrow. I will call my dealer and verify if this "carbon" treatment is true.

And Dealer this local guy that... WHO CARES... A Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Dealer is more equipped at dealing with any issues that a Jeep may have just because all of these tech's have gone thru chrysler school. and Also need to be ASE certified and chrysler Certified. So knock who you want. A tech not a Mechanic because the industry has evolved and working on a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee for example, you basically need to be an electrician there are so many wires and wiring diagrams. I am trying to be that person not rip anyone off but to fix there vehicle that they depend on DAILY to get them around for a fraction of what it cost to buy it so Please Get off, of the whole mechanic/tech are a bunch of thieves cause they rip you off.

Last question who would you rather work on your car? A guy that is covered in oil and grease smoking a butt rag hanging out of his a$$ pocket shakes your hand and your now dirty as him and he charges less but does not have the tools or the Computer equipment to diag the Jeep Correctly, OR the clean Cut wearing a Certified Jeep Tech Shirt for XYZ dealer that has all of the equipment needed to fix it and fix it right the first time and that will warranty the fix for 12 month and 12,000 miles that goes over what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it that you may have to pay a little more for but you know it's fixed and if it's not fixed right you know you can go back and not have to worry about paying again since it's covered by a warranty??
:thumbsup: :tea:

couldn't have said it better myself.

#101 ·
Nice im glad you got it handled. Those motors are pretty noisy. Those DRBs are a pain to use nowadays huh, seems like you are back in the stone age. We all use WiTech now, its now mandatory to own a laptop for this. The 4.7s are good motors, just take care of it.

#102 ·
This gives me hope for my own 4.7 start up knock/ticking. It's not that bad and it only lasts for maybe 15 seconds but it's still worrisome to hear, but I've read several different instances of what sounds almost exactly what mine is doing and almost all of them end up being either a broken manifold bolt or something similar or the result of this thread.

Next thing for me to do is get up underneath my WJ and check the exhaust manifold bolts and manifold itself for cracking.

#103 ·
Noises seem to be really common on these motors, and usually it seems to be something that isn't going to cause it to blow up. I did my driver's side manifold gasket because I found a rounded off bolt. Noise is still there. Searched for the noise, pan is quiet, valve covers quiet down as they warm up. So it is either the passenger gasket or as a lot of people say, just the way these motors sound. My truck runs puurrrrfect, so who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.