Knocking Sound After Seafoaming - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Knocking Sound After Seafoaming

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Last time I used Seafoam the bottle said 1/3 oil, 1/3, gas tank, 1/3 vacuum line if carbureted and 1/2 vacuum line, 1/2 gas tank if fuel injected.

The last time I had done the treatment the jeep was hungry and eat the hole can through the vacuum line and stayed running just fine.

5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Precisely why I dont pour stuff into my engine.

Do basic maintenance and you wont need tune up in a can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
you didnt happen to hydro-lock the engine while sucking the seafoam through the booster line did you? If so there is a possibility that you bent a rod, which would cause a knock and an unstable idle.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
you didnt happen to hydro-lock the engine while sucking the seafoam through the booster line did you? If so there is a possibility that you bent a rod, which would cause a knock and an unstable idle.
While pouring I kept slowing giving it thru the brake booster, at the end of the bottle I poured the last of it maybe a little to fast it stalled out.... So Basically your telling me I read about all these treatments and things that are proven to help extend the life of your Jeep. And by just pouring a simple treatment that stalled out the engine I could have bent a god dam rod... Just my luck. I am done trying to keep this thing or do extra to keep it going. no more "additives" or and of that stuff will ever go near my Jeep again. Now I gotta go to the dealer and get say hey I got a nasty knock.... and make sure its under warranty (which it is) and basically get rebuilt engine... Stressfull...
WJEEPSMASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Proven by who?

Chrysler doesnt tell you to do anything like that?

What were you trying to fix??
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJEEPSMASS View Post
While pouring I kept slowing giving it thru the brake booster, at the end of the bottle I poured the last of it maybe a little to fast it stalled out.... So Basically your telling me I read about all these treatments and things that are proven to help extend the life of your Jeep. And by just pouring a simple treatment that stalled out the engine I could have bent a god dam rod... Just my luck. I am done trying to keep this thing or do extra to keep it going. no more "additives" or and of that stuff will ever go near my Jeep again. Now I gotta go to the dealer and get say hey I got a nasty knock.... and make sure its under warranty (which it is) and basically get rebuilt engine... Stressfull...
when you bring it to the dealer..... do not tell them what happened.
Just tell them it started knocking.
And yes some of these top engine cleaners do work, to an extent.
I work for GM and we have a top engine cleaner that we use to decarbonize valves and pistons and it works very well.
We use and injection machine thru the throttle body to soak down the valves, but I have also used the vacuum line method with good success.
Problems do occur when seafoam or any other top engine cleaner is introduced to quickly into the engine.
If one cylinder sucks up too much on a compression stroke the excess has no where to go and can cause the cylinder to hydro-lock and bent a rod.
I am not saying this is what happened, I am not there to look at it but unfortunately that is what it sounds like to me.
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
IAWJ47
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner View Post
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_2500103.pdf
This could be the cause of the "knocking" the seafoam might have broke something loose and went through the purge solenoid. If you hear the ticking/knocking, just hold the solenoid in your hand and you feel it banging if it is the cause of the ticking
that solenoid on my jeep will tick once and awhile, usually after i had driven for awhile and when i come to a idle it will tick. doesnt happen to often but i have heard it a few times. a mechanic told me it was nothing to worry about and it was kinda normal to do that. is that the case?
IAWJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac

when you bring it to the dealer..... do not tell them what happened.
Just tell them it started knocking.
And yes some of these top engine cleaners do work, to an extent.
I work for GM and we have a top engine cleaner that we use to decarbonize valves and pistons and it works very well.
We use and injection machine thru the throttle body to soak down the valves, but I have also used the vacuum line method with good success.
Problems do occur when seafoam or any other top engine cleaner is introduced to quickly into the engine.
If one cylinder sucks up too much on a compression stroke the excess has no where to go and can cause the cylinder to hydro-lock and bent a rod.
I am not saying this is what happened, I am not there to look at it but unfortunately that is what it sounds like to me.
This is a good way to put it. So many jeepers, myself included, have done the brake booster method and have had positive results. My pops has also used that gum out stuff, or whatever it was called mopar stuff, through the injector machine. Let then hear it. Tell them a noise started and you don't know from where.
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAWJ47

that solenoid on my jeep will tick once and awhile, usually after i had driven for awhile and when i come to a idle it will tick. doesnt happen to often but i have heard it a few times. a mechanic told me it was nothing to worry about and it was kinda normal to do that. is that the case?
Normal? Depends on what you think normals is..:-). From reading the TSB I would believe it is just an annoyance not something that would cause your jeep to break down. Just trying to help the OP in his diagnosing his problem. If he was putting seafoam in the brake booster line, some could have flowed up the evap. system causing the "new" tick. Both my 02's (4.0 and 4.7) have the same tick coming from that purge solenoid and it happens with a warm or cold engine, but usually when the ambient air temp is cold. If jeep has a TSB out for it I would assume it is something they must deal with regularly. Personally I have left the ticking purge solenoid alone right now, cause I haven't had the time to research where I can get the parts.
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #24
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

First off if your going to use seafoam don't stick the vacuum hose directly into the can like the guy at autozone told me to do, lol
You just let it drip in to the hose slowly then have someone shut the engine off while doing so to let it do it's job, you don't stall the engine with the stuff like some people tell you...
Seafoam has a video on youtube for the correct way to use it.
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES
First off if your going to use seafoam don't stick the vacuum hose directly into the can like the guy at autozone told me to do, lol
You just let it drip in to the hose slowly then have someone shut the engine off while doing so to let it do it's job, you don't stall the engine with the stuff like some people tell you...
Seafoam has a video on youtube for the correct way to use it.
WWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!!! I hope you're kidding. What a ******. Doesn't the can even say slowly pour a 1/3 of the can into the brake booster so as not to stall the engjne too early
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #26
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoglitch View Post
WWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!!! I hope you're kidding. What a ******. Doesn't the can even say slowly pour a 1/3 of the can into the brake booster so as not to stall the engjne too early
Yep that's what the autozone guy told me, just stick the hose in the can

Anyhow you don't want the engine to stall or hydrolock because bad things happen, parts bend and so forth.
As your dripping it in you have someone shut it off to let it sit.
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
Yep that's what the autozone guy told me, just stick the hose in the can

Anyhow you don't want the engine to stall or hydrolock because bad things happen, parts bend and so forth.
As your dripping it in you have someone shut it off to let it sit.
After you finish dripping it in you shut it off. If you shut it off and keep dripping it, you're just going to end up with a large puddle that accumulates that will get sucked in all at once when you restart the car.

You leave it running while dripping it, this sucks it slowly into each cylinder.
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

I have used Seafoam many times and stalled about half of them when sucking it in. It's not flammable that's why the engine stalls. I highly doubt you bent a rod, do a compression check on all cylinders. I normally do a Seafoam treatment just before I change the plugs and oil on any engine even the lawnmower.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
After you finish dripping it in you shut it off. If you shut it off and keep dripping it, you're just going to end up with a large puddle that accumulates that will get sucked in all at once when you restart the car.

You leave it running while dripping it, this sucks it slowly into each cylinder.
Well yeah you don't keep dripping it in after it's off
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
WJlover
1999 WJ 

the way i did it on my zj was slowly drip it while its running, drip fast enough to make it stutter, but not enough to make it stall. or something liek that.

but anyways, what ive always heard from the old man, and wise old mechanics, and my grandfather, was to never use anything to clean out an old engine.
if theres gunk in there, chances are its plugging a leak.
proved true on my ZJ. seafoamed the engine and sprung a leak right after in the rear main
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.