Knocking Sound After Seafoaming - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Knocking Sound After Seafoaming

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Knocking Sound After Seafoaming/Vibrating at High Speeds

HI Fellow Jeepers!! First user for me I am new at this whole jeep forum thing so if this topic has been discussed I am sorry and would love the link to read about it.

So I have a buddy who used seafoam on his Jeep and he said it makes a world of difference. It runs better, better gas mileage and so on. So I look into it and ok not a bad Idea. So I do the bottle 1/3 in the brake booster, 1/3 on the oil, the rest in the gas tank... When I did mine after seeing everyone else do it I was expecting a TON of white smoke... I got a little blue smoke some white smoke but nothing to the effect of seafoams website, or you tube. Also after do this I noticed that all of a sudden my engine has a knocking noise coming from what I can tell the lower part of the engine as you really don't hear it standing over the top of the engine, but you can while in it and it's only at idle. Also my idle is a little jumpy between 5-700 RPM at idle in park. NO knocking when I accelerate or while stopped at a light in drive. Anyone ever come across this?

Info on Jeep 03 Overland 4.7 HO 65,000 miles on it. after I heard the noise I changed the oil has been synthetic since I've owned it now for 3 years whatever the dealers synthetic was then it switched to pennzoil ultra 10W-30. I saved a ton and started doing them myself as the dealer was charging me cheap like 39 for an oil change instead of the 80+ whatever it is.. But the guy who I knew quit... Anyways. any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Recent Service done by me: Replaced the High Pressure Power Steering Hose as it was leaking BAD. Changed the transfer case fluid (quadradrive NV247) and both front and rear Diff's by removing the covers and then cleaning it out and using the mopar suggested RTV.

I still get the binding noise on the transfer case when in tight turns is that something I can fix even tho I replaced the fluid or a new TC? and as far driving goes A LOT more smooth with new diff fluid and TC fluid. Just the binding noise on the tight turns and I know I am not supposed to be going this fast but sometimes I can't help it. at 85 MPH and above my car vibrates real bad at that cruising speed when I have my foot on the gas to maintain that speed I take it off. it goes away.

Next up is Spark plug change, but before I do I was wondering about the Knock. Sorry to ramble again I am a newbie I apologize if this has been covered before and i just didn't search long enough.

Thanks!

Last edited by WJEEPSMASS; 02-01-2013 at 06:18 PM..
WJEEPSMASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
nickblack
1999 WJ 

I doubt the Seafoam caused a knock. Any blue smoke is an indication you are burning oil. Are you sure its not an exhaust leak? If you had no issues before, I can't see a seafoam treatment causing that kind of an issue.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Just when I started it up after waiting about 30 mins after seafoaming it that was the only blue smoke.. I did not hear the knock before. then it showed up. My friend also noticed it as well. Just hoping I didn't knock something out of tolerance or whatever..... Who knows Jeeps are touchy!! lol
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Guess after reading thru the forum. It is the U-joints... not thrilled
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How long did you leave the seafoam in the oil before you changed it. Do you do oil changes every 3000 miles, give or take. And you use to go get synthetic from the dealership and you changed type, was this before or after seafoam. Sometimes seafoam may knock some grime lose in the engine depending on how it is before. I seafoamed my xj at 160k and everything was fine afterwards and it ran beautiful. Just want to get some extra background info
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoglitch View Post
How long did you leave the seafoam in the oil before you changed it. Do you do oil changes every 3000 miles, give or take. And you use to go get synthetic from the dealership and you changed type, was this before or after seafoam. Sometimes seafoam may knock some grime lose in the engine depending on how it is before. I seafoamed my xj at 160k and everything was fine afterwards and it ran beautiful. Just want to get some extra background info
I used the same synthetic as the dealer does. I guess Chrysler and there infindent wisdom went from mobil 1 syn to pennzoil ultra syn. I never changed the type the dealer used, the only reason I stopped going to the dealer is cause the service guy I always went to quit moved on to other things so I said screw it i'll do it myself (plus I didn't feel like paying close to $90 an oil change....) same oil. I kept it in for about maybe 1-300 miles cause I was at the point of needing an oil change, I change it about every 3-5000 miles depending on my driving habits. If I am stop and go alot I will change closer to 3000, if I am always on the highway i'll do it every 5000 miles.

So Re Seafoam it? I use 93 octane and I do my best to keep it running in tip top shape...
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Coulda knocked crap loose and stuck up a lifter? Maybe an exhaust leak? Mine did this for like a week after I got it and I was scared it was the bottom end, but it just randomly went away... haha I know that doesnt help, but its the same thing you described. Had a noise only at idle, sorta sounded like a knock or tick it was hard to tell, had a random rough idle. Replaced spark plugs, and switched oil filters (mopar) and the issue went away. Rough idle went away also with the filter brand change. My jeep really likes high milage semi synthetic. Be warned if you switch to that you may have to stay with it, and change the oil sooner because it cleans up gunk. But it has done good by my jeep so far, and zero oil leaks or seeping, and drastically helped my valve seal leaking/oil consumption. Anyways, get a stethescope on it, and see if it does it at idle vs revved. What is your oil pressure like?

Ps, u joints making it knock?
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJEEPSMASS View Post

Changed the transfer case fluid (quadradrive NV247) and both front and rear Diff's by removing the covers and then cleaning it out and using the mopar suggested RTV.

I still get the binding noise on the transfer case when in tight turns is that something I can fix even tho I replaced the fluid or a new TC? and as far driving goes A LOT more smooth with new diff fluid and TC fluid. Just the binding noise on the tight turns and I know I am not supposed to be going this fast but sometimes I can't help it. Thanks!
You also needa friction modifier for the front and rear diff. You get it from the dealer, a whole bottle in the rear and a partial bottle in the front...

www.wjjeeps.com has a ton of info as well as the exact number up front (forget off top of my head, but it's just over half a bottle. 2.5oz maybe?)
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

How would the u joints make it knock at idle? It's only while i am in park I use Full Syn. And my jeep loves it. Oil pressure is Good. No issues there. I have the true dummy gauge so I took it out and used an oil pressure test kit and all was within the specs I have seen on wjjeeps.com
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

an exhaust leak at the header will sound like a little tick or knock...
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
an exhaust leak at the header will sound like a little tick or knock...
Good to know. I will check that out when it warms up Just a tad! lol little cold up here in the Northeast..
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_2500103.pdf
This could be the cause of the "knocking" the seafoam might have broke something loose and went through the purge solenoid. If you hear the ticking/knocking, just hold the solenoid in your hand and you feel it banging if it is the cause of the ticking
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
WJEEPSMASS
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner View Post
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_2500103.pdf
This could be the cause of the "knocking" the seafoam might have broke something loose and went through the purge solenoid. If you hear the ticking/knocking, just hold the solenoid in your hand and you feel it banging if it is the cause of the ticking
Ok will do and see if that is the case.
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJEEPSMASS View Post
Good to know. I will check that out when it warms up Just a tad! lol little cold up here in the Northeast..
On mine it's most pronounced when the engine's cold. As the metal heats up and expands the exhaust leak gets a little better. However if yours is bad enough it won't matter.
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

you didnt happen to hydro-lock the engine while sucking the seafoam through the booster line did you? If so there is a possibility that you bent a rod, which would cause a knock and an unstable idle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.