Knocking noise from the left rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Knocking noise from the left rear

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Knocking noise from the left rear

I have a 2004 GC Overland. I have been getting a knocking or bumping noise from the left rear of the Jeep. When it is up on a rack everything seems ok. What could I have missed? The Jeep has 88K miles on it and drives very straight.

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Bump
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
lazebum
2001 WJ 

I had a old truck that used to do this and it was rocks in my gas tank. Probally not the same problem but just FYI, children are awsome!!
01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
lazebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
nick62087
1999 WJ 

Do you have factory shocks?

Check the shocks, control arm bolts, and the ball joint.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Well if it drives straight, then a clunking most likely removes the control arms and ball joint from the equation.

Most likely shocks or sway bar links/bushings.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotZ View Post
I have a 2004 GC Overland. I have been getting a knocking or bumping noise from the left rear of the Jeep. When it is up on a rack everything seems ok. What could I have missed? The Jeep has 88K miles on it and drives very straight.
Check the rear control arm mounting to the frame, each side, and the single ball joint over the differential, using a pry bar.
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
nick62087
1999 WJ 

mine drives almost perfectly straight and my ball joint is definitely loose
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
NJStriper
2003 WJ 

I have the same problem on my 03 WJ Limited 4.7 HO with 85k miles. I was getting that bump/thump noise when going over bumps. I was at a loss because I thought I checked everything. A couple weeks ago when I was rotating tires I noticed the ball joint above the rear differential looked like it had some play. I'm guessing that you prolly have the same problem. I haven't tried to fisx it yet but im assuming it would be a project.
NJStriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
seabee_
2003 WJ 

Check the shocks in the rear. Grab the shocks and see if you can move or twist them. Look close at the lower bolts and shock mounts. I had to put stainless steel washers between the shocks and mounts to get rid of the play. It eliminated the clunks. Have you replaced the shocks recently. OEM shocks are wider than aftermarket replacements. Also check the ball joint on top of the pumpkin.
seabee_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Thanks for all the suggestions.
- Aldous Huxley

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.