Knockin sound after wheeling? Uh oh - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Knockin sound after wheeling? Uh oh

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Knockin sound after wheeling? Uh oh

I was wheeling at a new spot with my manager haha and it was muddy with a lot of little potholes every where, the kind where the jeep would flex a lot...if the sway bar was disconnected.. On the road it sounds like something is knocking on the bottom of the body lightly. I recently installed a 2" BB and checked everything I loosened, including the sway bar links and shaked everything under the body to see if I could recreate the sound but couldn't. Any other ideas what it could be? Would bad u joints make the sound? It seeeems like the sound appears on small bumps. Help a WJ owner out?

Thanks,
Ben

Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
smuggler
1998 ZJ 

Ah yes that is a common Jeep thing, weird noises after wheelin'. This is how you fix it. You have to go wheelin' again, but in reverse. Once you get done the clunk should be gone.
smuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
cbailey_21
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
Ah yes that is a common Jeep thing, weird noises after wheelin'. This is how you fix it. You have to go wheelin' again, but in reverse. Once you get done the clunk should be gone.
This response brought joy to my day...
[QUOTE=smuggler;13038059]Ah yes that is a common Jeep thing, weird noises after wheelin'. This is how you fix it. You have to go wheelin' again, but in reverse. Once you get done the clunk should be gone.[/QUOTE]

MODS: BDS 2" coils, Bilstein 5100 struts, 17"Moab takeoffs, 245/65/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Addco 1" Rear Swaybar, Energy Suspension greasable swaybar bushings, westin tail light guards, Rancho HD Steering stabilizer, Freedom Edition running boards, Spyder Halo Foglights, Rola Vortex roof rack.
cbailey_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Is the exhaust loose anywhere. Grab a hold of it at different places an try and move it. Mine would at the back where it goes over the rear axle.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
cbailey_21
1999 WJ 

And im not too knowledgeable about suspensions and clunking noises, maybe check all your control arm bushings and shock bushings?? You may have wallowed them out, Im just guessing into the wind..
[QUOTE=smuggler;13038059]Ah yes that is a common Jeep thing, weird noises after wheelin'. This is how you fix it. You have to go wheelin' again, but in reverse. Once you get done the clunk should be gone.[/QUOTE]

MODS: BDS 2" coils, Bilstein 5100 struts, 17"Moab takeoffs, 245/65/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Addco 1" Rear Swaybar, Energy Suspension greasable swaybar bushings, westin tail light guards, Rancho HD Steering stabilizer, Freedom Edition running boards, Spyder Halo Foglights, Rola Vortex roof rack.
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

I grabbed the exhaust from the back and gave it a good shaking and it didn't make any sound. But I don't think that would make the sound, the sound is like a rock hitting the under body but not loud
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
cbailey_21
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5ben View Post
I grabbed the exhaust from the back and gave it a good shaking and it didn't make any sound. But I don't think that would make the sound, the sound is like a rock hitting the under body but not loud
My jeep has this same clunking sound under the shifter/ driver seat whenever it is under 25 degrees... even if the jeep is in park

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Hm, just wondering, could this be the A arm messing up? I didn't add an a arm space after my lift
Unread 02-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

Check the rear a arm bushings? Maybe the rear ball joint?
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
rboots
1999 WJ 

I just did a bb and had a knocking noise similar to that, ended up being the shock mount on the rear axle that was just not tight enough. bolt was tight but just needed a little more and it went away. Thats my experience
rboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Damn. I forgot to check the shocks haha. I'll check those as soon as I get back to my Jeep
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Just checked the shocks and tightened them to torque specs. No change. It literally sounds like there's something dangling under the jeep and knocking around. I'm at a loss, my dads going to take it to a shop soon if I can't find the problem
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Found the problem. It was the front sway bar linkage. Don't know how the sound managed to sound like it was coming from the back, but I'm just glad my Jeep isn't broken

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.