Kits to fix blend doors - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Kits to fix blend doors

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone white 99 View Post
I lika heater treater myself, metal everything and they give you metal output shaft (another failure point from cracks) sleeves to prevent cracks or contain them.
Use high strength locktite on all set screws and take time to rig your recirc door correctly
Got Blendor set myself. It is all metal, too, aircraft aluminum. Comes with drill bit to make cuts, a switch and wire set with a button so you can make the doors recalibrate when you are ready. Got the dual climate set, but left the recirc door alone. I do need to just wire it closed.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Jeepgirlwith2
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

After calibrating the air worked great, now one day later it's back to the same old warm/cool air. Any thoughts? I'm trying a new can of freon.
Jeepgirlwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirlwith2 View Post
After calibrating the air worked great, now one day later it's back to the same old warm/cool air. Any thoughts? I'm trying a new can of freon.
You might want to remove your climate controls and see if your plugs are plugged in all the way, maybe reseat them.
Do the calibration again. Like I said, I had to do mine three times in the past two months. Mine would blow warm/hot air, no matter if I turned it own to 59 on each side, until I did the recal, then it worked fine and has since then.

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I wouldn't add freon unless it needs it. If it worked great for one day after calibrating it's most likely something to do with the blend doors. Most likely they are broken or slipping and doing the calibration temporarily reset the motor positions to move the doors correctly. I'd be willing to bet that that doing the calibration works again temporarily. If that's the case then it isn't freon that's the problem (it's not freon anymore BTW). Adding more to the system at that point would overcharge it and you could do damage to the system.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor View Post

I wouldn't add freon unless it needs it. If it worked great for one day after calibrating it's most likely something to do with the blend doors. Most likely they are broken or slipping and doing the calibration temporarily reset the motor positions to move the doors correctly. I'd be willing to bet that that doing the calibration works again temporarily. If that's the case then it isn't freon that's the problem (it's not freon anymore BTW). Adding more to the system at that point would overcharge it and you could do damage to the system.
She said she moved he knob and could hear the doors moving, so I don't think the doors are broken. Also, she did the recalibration, it worked as normal, so that proves the doors work just fine. It's still freon, just a different kind, R134a, instead of R12, but if you add some, make sure you don't overcharge. Get a can with gauge.

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
She said she moved he knob and could hear the doors moving, so I don't think the doors are broken. Also, she did the recalibration, it worked as normal, so that proves the doors work just fine. It's still freon, just a different kind, R134a, instead of R12, but if you add some, make sure you don't overcharge. Get a can with gauge.

Actually Freon is the trademarked name for R12 that is owned by DuPont. R134a is technically not Freon because that is a trademark. Apparently DuPont calls 134a Suva (I looked it up). Now I get what she meant and I was only pointing out that technically Freon for the most part doesn't exist as a product anymore.

In any event, if she is low on R134a why did it work great for a short period of time after recalibrating? It would have still blown warm air if it was low on refrigerant. My thought was that the shafts are partially spinning in the doors and the system is losing its calibration. Admittedly I haven't done the blend door repair yet as I currently have a Laredo with the base venting system but I will be soon since I pick up my 04 Overland tomorrow to replace the Laredo.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor View Post

Actually Freon is the trademarked name for R12 that is owned by DuPont. R134a is technically not Freon because that is a trademark. Apparently DuPont calls 134a Suva (I looked it up). Now I get what she meant and I was only pointing out that technically Freon for the most part doesn't exist as a product anymore.

In any event, if she is low on R134a why did it work great for a short period of time after recalibrating? It would have still blown warm air if it was low on refrigerant. My thought was that the shafts are partially spinning in the doors and the system is losing its calibration. Admittedly I haven't done the blend door repair yet as I currently have a Laredo with the base venting system but I will be soon since I pick up my 04 Overland tomorrow to replace the Laredo.
Anal triviality, but R12 does still exist. it is just prohibitively expensive. It didn't work great, she said it was cooler in the center and warmer on the outside vents. I surmised that she might have needed more R134a and told her so. She said she spun the door actuator and could hear the door moving, which tells me the door shaft is not broken. I have done the blend door service. My Overland has lost calibration 3 times in the past two months, sometimes **it happens. You are just confusing the situation, further.

Unread 09-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
briandor
2004 WJ 

OK. Have fun.
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
Jeepgirlwith2
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

Yes the blend doors are fine I can move my temp knob hear and feel the air coming out. I also took out the glove compartment and can manually move the door. Under the hood the a-c lines are hot to the touch. I'm wondering if I could have a bad thermostat. I've also noticed while sitting at a light on a hot day the engine temp will go above the mid line. Not always but once Ina while. Are these tied to the the air conditioner?
Jeepgirlwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Yes the blend doors are fine I can move my temp knob hear and feel the air coming out. I also took out the glove compartment and can manually move the door. Under the hood the a-c lines are hot to the touch. I'm wondering if I could have a bad thermostat. I've also noticed while sitting at a light on a hot day the engine temp will go above the mid line. Not always but once Ina while. Are these tied to the the air conditioner?
I do know your fan should kick on when you are running the air conditioner. Is your fan running? Electric, hydraulic or both?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.