Kits to fix blend doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Kits to fix blend doors

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Jeepgirlwith2
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

Kits to fix blend doors

Can anyone tell me if these are worth trying to do on my own? Should I just get someone to take the dash out and fix them?

Jeepgirlwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Check out the blend door store. There is a kit that allows you to cut open the heater box and fix. Way cheaper.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
COL
2000 WJ 

^^^Agreed. Blend Door Store, Mopar Parts kit, and more. Most fixes follow the same through glove box procedures. There are some good videos on YouTube.
COL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
nickblack
1999 WJ 

I did a blend door kit years ago and it is holding up well. I think it is a better product than the heater treater one.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

You can do it yourself.... And it is worth the effort. Follow the directions carefully and you will be very happy....

I used the HT unit years ago.... Still working great.

I used the dremel procedure.... Took me an hour .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
jeepomb
2003 WJ 

I replaced my blend doors some time back. I got a kit that had two seperate flaps for the dual climate control. It cost a bit more than the single flap replacement kit but I thought it would be worth the extra to keep the dual control.
There are 2 motors, one for each flap. The drivers side motor is easily accessable once you have cut open your glove box. The passanger side flap control motor is on the other side. You can not get access to this motor through the glove box.
After taking mine apart I found the passanger side motor had stopped working. I couldnt replace this (without taking the whole dash off!) So I ended up joining my 2 flaps together with a steel pin through the aluminium shaft! So both flaps are operated by the one motor on the inside- in effect I have made a single flap kit! Doh!
Also there is a procedure for re connecting the battry and testing the drive motors. The motors go through a check when operated for the first time which turns the motor 1 full rotation. As a friend of mine found out after replacing the flaps leaving the opening in the glove box open to check they are working. When he turned the heater on and adjusted the temperature the motor turned the flap then continued to turn snapping the pin stop off near the motor. Leaving him to buy another flap kit!
I think the problem is these motors are way too powerful to turn a little flap and in time snap the flap off.
It is an easy job. Its worth doing some reaserch on the 'start up procedure' first though. I cant remember what I did
This procedure might be in the instructions that come with your flap kit.
Good luck hopefully you will have hot air soon!
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Jeepgirlwith2
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

All I have is hot air now. Is my problem the blend doors? Warm on one side a little cooler on the drivers side with air conditioner on.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirlwith2 View Post

All I have is hot air now. Is my problem the blend doors? Warm on one side a little cooler on the drivers side with air conditioner on.
Check AZC codes:

Read this page: http://blendorstore.com/faq

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Do the calibration before you order the blend doors, it may just need resetting:

Calibrating AZC door actuators

Calibrate the door actuators after making any repairs to the AZC system. To calibrate the door actuators proceed as follows:

1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Set the AZC to automatic.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Remove the IOD fuse from the Power Distribution Center. Wait several seconds, and then install the IOD fuse.
5. Turn the ignition on. Do not touch any of the AZC controls for at least one minute to allow the calibration function to run to completion.

The IOD is fuse 15 in the Power Distribution Center under the hood, next to your battery.

It takes all of 1 minute to do.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Jeepgirlwith2
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

Ok I calibrated. The middle and drivers side is cold vents are cold. The passenger side feels cool but doesn't compare to the drivers side and the middle vents. I took out the glove box and the knob turns normal and I can hear something sliding back and forth when I turn it manually. I'm thinking the blend doors are fine.? Could there be a hose with a hole in it? I did repair one earlier this year because the air would only work out of the defrost.
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Ok I calibrated. The middle and drivers side is cold vents are cold. The passenger side feels cool but doesn't compare to the drivers side and the middle vents. I took out the glove box and the knob turns normal and I can hear something sliding back and forth when I turn it manually. I'm thinking the blend doors are fine.? Could there be a hose with a hole in it? I did repair one earlier this year because the air would only work out of the defrost.
Do you mean vacuum hose? Not sure, mine is the AZC version, dual climate control. All motors, no vacuum. Usually the middle vents get the coldest. What you are hearing is the blend door moving. You are changing from hot to cold, so your blend door(s) are/is fine. If the rest of the HVAC modes are working, I'd think your vacuum was ok. Glad you tested it before wasting $90 or so. I have to recalibrate mine every so often. It wants to start blowing hot air, instead of cold.
Maybe you need to charge it up with some more R134a, freon?

Unread 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Jeepgirlwith2
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

Yes the vacuum hose had a hole in it. I tried an old can I had of freon but it said it was fine. I'll try a new can and see. Of course its been in the 90's this past week and today it's in the 60's so maybe the calibrating did work and some freon will help it more.
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Yes the vacuum hose had a hole in it. I tried an old can I had of freon but it said it was fine. I'll try a new can and see. Of course its been in the 90's this past week and today it's in the 60's so maybe the calibrating did work and some freon will help it more.
Yeah, it feels good. I wish it would stay this way year 'round.

Unread 09-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack
I did a blend door kit years ago and it is holding up well. I think it is a better product than the heater treater one.
Agree with nick,mine works fine after 2yrs and took less than an a 1/2 hr.Definitly would not recommend dash removal for this,not nescessary.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
stone white 99

I lika heater treater myself, metal everything and they give you metal output shaft (another failure point from cracks) sleeves to prevent cracks or contain them.
Use high strength locktite on all set screws and take time to rig your recirc door correctly
stone white 99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.