Keyless remote reprogram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Keyless remote reprogram

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
cmurr03
2003 WJ 

Keyless remote reprogram

I have a keyless remote from a 99 WJ. My 03 WJ at one point had one, but I lost it. I thought if I went to a dealer with the keyless entry they could use a DRBIII scanner and reprogram it, but when I called today they said I couldn't. Anyone ever try this?

cmurr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
metalhead
2000 WJ 

When they order a remote it goes by vin number. While I don't see what the difference is between a 99 and an 03 I would think they should be able to do it. Did you talk to someone in service or the parts department? I know the jeep dealership I work at the parts department guys are very good.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I have three or our keyless entry fobs sitting around from past WJ's. I recall that I got one of then reprogrammed to my current vehicle, so I would have a spare for the wife. I'm pretty sure they can reprogram a key fob with the DRBIII Scan tool.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
tkcarp01
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick
I have three or our keyless entry fobs sitting around from past WJ's. I recall that I got one of then reprogrammed to my current vehicle, so I would have a spare for the wife. I'm pretty sure they can reprogram a key fob with the DRBIII Scan tool.

Would you part with one of your spares to a man across the river? I have exactly one key, and no key fob..,
tkcarp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Idano12
2004 WJ 

You don't program the fob or the keys, what you do is program the ECU to recognize the signal from the fob and keys as ones that belong to your vehicle.
You can program a WJ to recognize 4 fobs and 8 keys, they were sold with 2 fobs and keys, if you bought your WJ used and only got 1 fob/key, that means somebody has at least 1 key and fob that will work on *your* Jeep.
If your local dealer won't program your WJ for fobs or keys that they didn't sell you,
they don't want your business,
find a dealer that does want your business.
AFAIK, all WJs will use the same part# fob and keys.
Idano12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcarp01 View Post

Would you part with one of your spares to a man across the river? I have exactly one key, and no key fob..,
I think so, what would you gimme for one? Mail it or deliver it?

Unread 08-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
tkcarp01
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick

I think so, what would you gimme for one? Mail it or deliver it?

What's it worth to ya? Keep in mind I'm a poor teacher. :-)
I'll drove up to Ripley and pick it up... And eat at Rockin Robin's while I'm there!
tkcarp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcarp01 View Post

What's it worth to ya? Keep in mind I'm a poor teacher. :-)
I'll drove up to Ripley and pick it up... And eat at Rockin Robin's while I'm there!
My daughters work at Rockin' Robins. One is already gone back to OSU, but the other is still here. Not sure if she is still working there. I can part with it for $15. I know you'll have to take it to those knuckleheads at Mann's to get it programmed, good luck. They could f-up a one car parade. I have had to fix a few problems that I took to them to fix. They charged me over $100 every time and never fixed the problems. Diagnostic fees, you know. Sometimes, they have done some good work, but I think they have gone down hill since 2009. Very bad in communicating to their customers.
Pm me, and I'll give you my phone # and when you are ready to head this way, call me. Capisce?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.