Key and Ignition lock issue, key no turn - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key and Ignition lock issue, key no turn

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

found a new key cylinder for 50 dollars so ordered it. Will replace and see what happens.

Unread 09-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Get ready to spend a little more to recode the new key cylinder.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sorry it took me awhile to respond. (Vacation)

There is no special trick to pull out the tumblers. They just pull out. Tweezers, sewing needle, pliers...it doesn't mattter. Just be careful and as they are removed, record the number on each and in what order they are in. Replace with the new ones in the new assembly.

There's no additional steps aside from replacing everything. Be sure to lube it up a bit with the new grease that the assembly came with. You'll know it's correct when the key is put in & the tumblers all lay flat inside their slots.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Got your PM about the stalling after reassembly. The SKIM module is in the key head and the receiver/sensor in a seperate coponent in the sterring column. The assembly you've replaced is not involved in the SKIM system other than to tell the SKIM system to begin looking for the corresponding key in close proximity. Teh "tell" is via electrical connection triggered by the ignition.

There's something else at issue like the connections ...after the mechanical operation of the ignition.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrutton View Post
I know it's an old thread but I found it helpful & wanted to add something for those looking at the ignition lock cylinder replacement. I was going to just move the tumblers from the old to the new cylinder but noticed that the replacement (a DorMan 924-703 [wj] from O'Riely's for $66 -lifetime) actually INCLUDED 4 bags with a BUNCH of #1, 2, 3 and 4 tumblers. I did an orderly dis assembly of the old tumblers and matched them up exactly (based on the notching) against the 'spares' included in the kit. This way I have new tumblers, springs, tumbler mechanism and cylinder. Don't know if all the kits include a supply of tumblers but the DorMan did.

My 'key won't turn' and 'steering wheel won't lock' problems appear resolved

Hope this helps someone...
Will the Dorman 924-703 cylinder work with a coded key?
autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sure will. Just match up the tumblers from old to new and you're all set. This is a mechanical movement that's causing the issue. No key re-coding is any part of this process.
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

The key is coded to the SKIM module, not the lock.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
mikewarren

I found this thread VERY helpful!!!!! I just bought a new (to me...) 2003 Grand Cherokee and within the first day I had a hard time getting the key to come out. I had to wiggle the key a bit and then it would come out after messing around for 30 seconds....Then, it started not turning to the "on" position... It really started to make me mad cause I just bought it and already was getting frustrated...After searching the forum for two minutes I found this thread. I went today to the local auto parts store and bought a Dorman cylinder ($65). I took the old one out (in like 15 seconds) took me about 30 minutes to get the old one apart, match up the tumblers, and put the new one together with the same code so I could use my old key. I popped the ignition back in and it works perfect!!!!! Thanks to all that post on here. Not only do I love saving money on fixing my car, but I also love being able to figure it out and fix it myself.

Thanks Guys!

Mike
mikewarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
rob5482
2002 WJ 

I know this thread is pretty old, but I didn't want to start a new one on the subject. I had been having this problem for a few months now and have been getting by with tapping the key to get it to turn. That was until yesterday when it just wouldn't work. So this morning I was about to go to Advance and spend the 60 bucks to get a replacement, when I figured, let me take it out 1st. Well that could have been a real BIG mistake as now i couldn't get the key to turn to the position to get the tumblers out, and couldn't get it to turn to put it back in. About 20 minutes of playing with it out I finally get it to release and turn to acc so I can push the pin and disassemble it. I am glad I did, because the tumblers were FILTHY!!! I took them all out, one at a time, cleaned them all nice and put them back. HOLY $%#^ it works now!!!! Nice and smooth, no tapping on it, no jiggling it etc... So 60 bucks saved! Any one else having this problem you may want to try and clean it first, but I recommend buying the cylinder first ( you can always return it if you don't use it)
rob5482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Brilliant! Glad to be a part of this community and to be of help.

Since this forum has saved me thousands over the course of 8 years and provided many, many opportunities to learn, I've contributed some $.

Please consider doing the same so the community stays strong.
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
sappnasty
2002 WJ 

Thank god, you yet again saved another Jeep owner from spending uneccessary money at a dealer. Just started having the problem with my key not turning, been trying everything and yesterday my wife got stuck at my boys school with our 1 year old in the car in the swealtering heat...new something had to be done. Searched and found this thread....going to Discount to order the part you specified right now. Used the old "tapp it on the head" trick and it turned...now just gotta remeber not to turn all the way back until the part arrives and is replaced. Thanks.

-Sapp
sappnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
rob5482
2002 WJ 

When you get the old one out and taken apart to re-key the new one, try cleaning the tumblers 1st. Put the old one back together and hey you never know it may work now and you can return the cylinder!!
rob5482 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.